-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What will you use for floss after you eat it?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I detassled for Pioneer outside Gardner, KS the summer of 1974, then got word we were moving to Indiana, and had to cut it short. Pay was great for the day, though. I racked up quite a bit of money that summer.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
What will you use for floss after you eat it?

Tassel off the top of the stalk, not silk from the ear.

Have heard of it, evidently no one ever bred corn here.
Never heard of it locally, more of a Midwest thing I think.

I don't even see the variety signs in the fields anymore.
Used to see them a lot.

Usually only on fields along well traveled roads.
We're the farmers compensated a bit for that?

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 08/04/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never a bad time for this video

Me

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Pete Seeger was a communist bastard. Piss on him.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I grew up in Boise. There's a lot of seed corn raised in that area but I never did get in on tasseling. I spent my summers gleefully bucking hay bales. That was before the bale retrievers were invented. I was tall and skinny but my arms were a lot stronger than they looked.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Pete Seeger was a communist bastard. Piss on him.

Not only extremely germane to the topic being discussed, but a valued public service as well. 100 True American points awarded.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
They didn't do that in our area (North Dakota). We hoed sugar beets for $3.35 an hour. I think my first check was just shy of $80. I was the richest guy in the 8th grade.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
They didn't do that in our area (North Dakota). We hoed sugar beets for $3.35 an hour. I think my first check was just shy of $80. I was the richest guy in the 8th grade.
When I was that age, the wages were closer to $1/hr. The thing is, though, in those days high school kids did a lot of farm labor. Now they live on mommy allowances. They have to hire Mexicans to get the stoop labor done.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I grew up in Boise. There's a lot of seed corn raised in that area but I never did get in on tasseling. I spent my summers gleefully bucking hay bales. That was before the bale retrievers were invented. I was tall and skinny but my arms were a lot stronger than they looked.
I bucked a lot of bales of hay until I was 16. I went to work in a tire shop until I was 19. Between the 2 jobs I was in pretty good shape for a tall skinny guy. I never de-tasseled one stalk of corn but I knew a lot of kids who did.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My little niece did it like every summer she was in jr hi and hi school. But they live in Iowa. I went there for her hi school graduation. Damn! Like to froze to death.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
When I was that age, the wages were closer to $1/hr. The thing is, though, in those days high school kids did a lot of farm labor. Now they live on mommy allowances. They have to hire Mexicans to get the stoop labor done.

Lloyd paid me $1.25 an hour. I always got fed at mealtimes and at lunch. When we accomplished a lot, he always said that he wished it could be more. The times that I released my screw-up/destruction gene I am sure that he made some comment about wishing that he could pay me what I was worth. It was my job to keep track. Being me, I probably shorted myself.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My little niece did it like every summer she was in jr hi and hi school. But they live in Iowa. I went there for her hi school graduation. Damn! Like to froze to death.

You're welcome back anytime.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yup. 2 summers. It paid well but the work was hell. Lots of bugs, mud and sweating. Inevitably tempers got raised and that led to drama on our crew. Saw a few fights and the slowest kids got hazed quite a bit. Definitely a job that weeded the weakest out quickly. If you could make it the first 2 weeks, the corn would get too tall and then you got to ride a bean buggy which was much better.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
1966, me and my best friend one day. He lost his brand new ray ban polaroid sun glasses and I puked up my cherry jelly sandwich. Never went back and baled hay the rest of the summer.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was a child hoer. frown

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've spent an hour in the tobacco field with a hoe. I'd put a tobacco field ahead of any other crop as far as hard work goes..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A story from my son's days of detassling: The crew was run by our retired shop teacher. Jack had long ago shot away the major part of his hearing. He was backing the bus out of the field that they had finished onto the gravel road. He hollered to the back of the bus, "How much room do I have?" Voice from the back of the bus: "Another five feet and you'll be in the ditch." Response from Jack: "Don't you call me a son-of-a-bitch! How much room do I have?"

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
Yup. 2 summers. It paid well but the work was hell. Lots of bugs, mud and sweating. Inevitably tempers got raised and that led to drama on our crew. Saw a few fights and the slowest kids got hazed quite a bit. Definitely a job that weeded the weakest out quickly. If you could make it the first 2 weeks, the corn would get too tall and then you got to ride a bean buggy which was much better.

Lucky, we never got to ride squat. Cold, wet, and muddy in the morning, sweating balls by afternoon. I lost a shoe one morning in the mud my first season.... finished out the rest of the day in my socks. 🤣

The crews definitely do thin fast. I think both summers I did it we were down to maybe half of what we started with inside the first week.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.