Last edited by mud_bogger; 08/06/22.
GB1

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Guys. Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I’m selling my 14 IS 350. That’s gonna free me up to make a more desirable purchase.

I was involved in one of the Toyota threads last year where we discussed the Lexus GX and LX. Im gonna start planning for a GX. By the time Christmas rolls around and the recession is in full swing the prices may come down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where you going to find a clean 4x4 of just about any model for that price, with the 5 speed and what would appear to be a good frame?

Run it 'till it croaks, then do a rebuild or replace.

Speaking of which, anyone ever hear of swapping down to the 22R series motors? They're about one of the best motors of any mfg ever built, anywhere, any time frame. If one isn't towing bigger trailers, what would be the drawback? A little slower and less power on road? With the right gearing, they'll go about anywhere. Wish I'd never sold the 2wd '86 P/U we had for years. It would be my go to town for hay and scheidt truck now.

Good luck, whichever way you go with it. I know which way I'd be leaning.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boy it must be nice to be able to run a car forever, until it actually wears out.
Which never happens if you maintain it and fix the junk as it breaks.

Can guarantee you there aren't any 20 or 30 year old Toyota's around here
I'd give 5 minutes to consider. Damn sure nothing with 250k on the clock.

Last Subaru had 240k, 22 years and needed tires. When (I think)the
fuel pump died, I ditched it. Someone had offered us a newer Impala owned by a deceased relative at a great price.

The Subaru body was blistered so enough that it made more sense to put $500 toward a $2800 car in great shape. Instead of investing in one that wouldn't pass inspection in another 2 years. (Without resorting to duct tape and cans of Great Foam.) .

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Speaking of which, anyone ever hear of swapping down to the 22R series motors? They're about one of the best motors of any mfg ever built, anywhere, any time frame. If one isn't towing bigger trailers, what would be the drawback? A little slower and less power on road? With the right gearing, they'll go about anywhere. Wish I'd never sold the 2wd '86 P/U we had for years. It would be my go to town for hay and scheidt truck now.

Good luck, whichever way you go with it. I know which way I'd be leaning.

While it was a good motor. If I was going to stuff a 4 banger into something it would be the 3RZ

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's a 3RZ?

I'm not up to speed on all the little abbreviation thingies.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
2.7l 4cyl. Pretty much the "newer" 22r. Have been pretty impressed with it in my tacoma

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
2.7l 4cyl. Pretty much the "newer" 22r. Have been pretty impressed with it in my tacoma

Did not know they were called that.

I have one in my '01 Tacoma too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Pulled that trailer full of 500+ lbs of hunting and shooting gear, along with another 500lb in the bed, from Washington to parts of Cali and Oregon and back too WA 2x a year. Up and down plenty of grades even. Has taken a licken and still keeps on tickin.

But, would it not defeat some of the purpose of having an older model, pre computer type, to install one of these in an early 90's vehicle?

In it is contentment

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by IZH27
Guys. Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I’m selling my 14 IS 350. That’s gonna free me up to make a more desirable purchase.

I was involved in one of the Toyota threads last year where we discussed the Lexus GX and LX. Im gonna start planning for a GX. By the time Christmas rolls around and the recession is in full swing the prices may come down.

hmmmmm

then it will be......GX 470.........or GX 460.......................?

pic.......wife's '11 GX 460 w/123K miles (Nevada native)

Newest car we own...rest are 20+YO.....'Yoda of course

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by tikkanut; 08/06/22.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had the 3.0 V6 in a truck. Myriad of issues and yes headbgaskets are an issue. I've also had several Toyota 2WD trucks with the 22R 4cyl engine and they are about the best engine to be had. I got many hundreds of thousands out of each 4cyl motor.

Here's my take. If your looking at an used 4x4 with miles you need to look at the bigger picture. There's lots of components getting it to work. You'll need to inspect ball joints, hub unit bearings, axel or transaxle and boots, drive line/u-joints, tir rods, drag links, track bar, steering box/sector shaft, and how the transmission was maintained. Those parts I listed will cost a lot to replace at a shop, up to thousands and on higher mileage vehicle your probably looking at replacement.

I would suggest bringing an little bottle jack and a pipe or bar and small section of 4x4 wood post. Jack up a front tire and check those by leveraging the bar over the 4x4 wood plank and having tip of bar under the raised 2" tire. This will allow you to see what you need to replace if needed and will give you an idea of what your looking at and how it was maintained. You can check also movement in the tie rods and also look and see if there's play or slack in steering. While under there inspect bushings.

I could go into motor and trans issues but it gets pretty long and involved. Generally a Toyota standard trans goes for an awfully long time and the only real wear component is the clutch.

Good luck.

IC B3

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
So with the smaller Toyota V8 is there much to be gained through exhaust and intake?

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Toyotas are fantastic...

With that said... Isuzu Trooper MANUALS are a real bargain and equally tough. I am working on Izzy 3 in the next week or so @ $1,400. Izzy 3 is black.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lift it, gear it right, drop some big tires on it, ARB air lockers, Arb bumper and a winch and you will be shocked what it will do, even with the 3.0. My 92 is awesome.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But with that many miles I'd be looking for one with a 3.4, which can be supercharged. I saw a little newer crew cab with a canopy this weekend that sure tempted me.

LOL
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (14idaho, 35, 405winash, 257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 876 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,407
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.