-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We went a couple of years ago not thinking about the ralley. It was amazing!

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dogpopper
Everyone has a bit ch. Been going on longer than most of the bitc hers been alive but somehow everyone needs something to gripe about. The American way anymore I suppose. Mtn Boomer may have a reason if living there but most haven’t ever seen it, but somehow feel like their opinion counts just cause it’s cool to bi tch. I’ve been. An amazing time. 75% deserved to be there. Most others dreamers. People getting out having a good time. Maybe some of you all should try it sometime.
Nothing wrong with the rally, it's just the added traffic passing through - that's all that affects me, and of course the asssholes, cocksuuckers and sonsabitches associated with said traffic. Takes all sorts and it's clear Sturgis has 'em. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Are they all dressed like they’re in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie? I’ve ridden bikes since I’ve been big enough, and I’ve never understood the need to look like a walking billboard.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Haha Sturgis does have all types. I might also add for the most part after spending multiple days there it might be the most patriotic event I’ve ever attended. Idiots are everywhere but I truly enjoyed and had a blast up there!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Haha Sturgis does have all types. I might also add for the most part after spending multiple days there it might be the most patriotic event I’ve ever attended. Idiots are everywhere but I truly enjoyed and had a blast up there!
I’m more comfortable around a group of biker than most any other group I can think of. I ride too! I just like poking fun at them. At least they don’t wear the power ranger outfits like the crotch rocket cruisers.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Fat white trash festival. Half of those larping trailered their retarded motorcycle to the trash gathering....epic!

They can't drink and act stupid at the trailer park?

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/06/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
LOL there are some dandies - Aye!

Thankfully didn't see any carnage. One close call. A gal driving a pickup pulling an enclosed ttailer made a stupid abrupt lane change right in front of rigs traveling much faster... Studying her phone - presumably trying to figure out WTF or WTF.

Hopefully everyone gets parked and tuned up and has fun with it.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hey Jackson, you ever been? Just hate bikers? Just hate the culture? Just wondering if you’ve ever been part of something more than the middle school chess club?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
hollywierd always adds some laughs

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
This is why i love living in a small town, Less traffic.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mtn Boomer may have a reason if living there but most haven’t ever seen it, but somehow feel like their opinion counts just cause it’s cool to bi tch. I’ve been. An amazing time. 75% deserved to be there. Most others dreamers. People getting out having a good time. Maybe some of you all should try it sometime.
Exactly...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I should be pulling in there Wednesday afternoon. Always have enjoyed it.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Huncho
This is why i love living in a small town, Less traffic.

Most of the year, but I hate fish...

Kenai Pen version of the Sturgis rally.... smile

Last edited by las; 08/07/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Deploy Tow Mirrors!!!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Jackson, you ever been? Just hate bikers? Just hate the culture? Just wondering if you’ve ever been part of something more than the middle school chess club?
Sometimes people run their mouth but are just too stupid to realize trailer trash types don't ride 15 to 25,000 dollar motorcycles

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Great write up. Views better with pics from the link if you ain't skeered of Fox ads. I find there's still plenty of good content on Fox. If you don't, BFD.

I am almost recovered from the traffic drama. LOL

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/meet-american-founded-sturgis-motorcycle-rally-brotherhood

Meet the American who founded the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, 'put the brotherhood in motorcycles'
Pappy Hoel began luring bikers to the Black Hills of South Dakota in 1938 — today, rally attracts over 500,000 annually
By Kerry J. Byrne | Fox News

This American founded the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally — here's his story Video
This American founded the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally — here's his story

The South Dakota event has grown far beyond its original numbers.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Listen to this article
0:00 / 9:59
BeyondWords

The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally rolls into South Dakota for the 82nd time beginning on Friday.

Credit local Indian Motorcycle dealer J.C. "Pappy" Hoel (1904-1989) for fathering what's now the world's premier celebration of motorcycles and an American way of life.

The 10-day festival annually attracts more than 500,000 motorcycle enthusiasts from across the United States, and beyond, to a remote corner of one of the nation’s most sparsely populated states.

"Pappy was the man who put the brotherhood in motorcycles," Coe Meyer, a Sturgis motorcycle historian, told Fox News Digital.

"He's the reason so many people come here today."

Sturgis is located on the edge of the Black Hills of South Dakota, hundreds of miles from the nearest major city, smack dab in the middle of the North American continent.

Hoel's marketing ingenuity, enthusiasm for motorcycle racing and — unbeknownst to many — his paternal fondness for America's World War II veterans struggling with the mental wounds of combat made Sturgis synonymous with motorcycles.
Pappy Hoel was an Indian Motorcycle dealer in Sturgis, S.D., in 1938 when he conceived of a racing rally to bring motorcycle enthusiasts to the area.

Pappy Hoel was an Indian Motorcycle dealer in Sturgis, S.D., in 1938 when he conceived of a racing rally to bring motorcycle enthusiasts to the area. (David Uhl/David Uhl Studios)

Hoel (rhymes with "oil") started the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in 1938, largely as a racing event, and as a way to promote his local dealership.

He watched it accelerate far beyond his dreams.

"He was like a P.T. Barnum-type character. He always had a trick up his sleeves," said Vinny Terranova, who knew Hoel and his wife Pearl and who operates their original Junction Avenue motorcycle shop today as Pappy’s Vintage Cycles.

A record 747,000 vehicles rolled through Sturgis for the 75th anniversary rally in 2015.

"He loved motorcycles, loved racing and loved motorcyclists," said Terranova of Pappy Hoel. "He and Pearl always had a pot of beans and franks on the grill. Nobody left hungry."

The Hoels ran the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally for nearly 50 years, before turning it over to the City of Sturgis in the 1980s.

It was a monumental feat for the couple. To this day, it's still an impressive achievement for a community of just 7,000 people.
Motorcycle enthusiasts attend the 81st annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on August 8, 2021, in Sturgis, South Dakota.

Motorcycle enthusiasts attend the 81st annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on August 8, 2021, in Sturgis, South Dakota. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

"The impact isn’t just on our city, it’s across the whole state," Sturgis director of rally and events Tammy Even-Cordell told Fox News Digital.

"People who come to our rally stop all across South Dakota. They visit tourist sites. They congregate at bars, restaurants and hotels. It impacts the entire state."

In 2018, the city estimated that the rally produced $786 million in economic activity across South Dakota.

Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills and the Gold Rush community of Deadwood all experience an influx of visitors around the time of the rally.

A record 747,000 vehicles rolled through Sturgis for the 75th anniversary rally in 2015 (three rallies were canceled during World War II), according to the South Dakota Department of Transportation.

The number of visitors routinely tops half a million, including the 526,000 who showed up last year.

The entire state of South Dakota boasts only 880,000 residents. Relative to population, the rally is as if 22 million people suddenly showed up for an event in California.
Bikers stop to take in Mt. Rushmore in August 2021. Every August, hundreds of thousands of motorcycling enthusiasts are attracted to the southwest corner of South Dakota for the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

Bikers stop to take in Mt. Rushmore in August 2021. Every August, hundreds of thousands of motorcycling enthusiasts are attracted to the southwest corner of South Dakota for the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

The COVID-19 hysteria proved no scare for Sturgis. Attendance was down slightly, but the rally still attracted about 460,000 people, according to the state DOT — with no major health problems.
Blame it all on refrigeration

J.C. Hoel was born in Sturgis on May 30, 1904. He married Pearl Kinney of nearby Rapid City in May 1928.

The couple remained together for more than 50 years.

Hoel got his start in business when he inherited an ice dealership from his father in the 1930s.

KRISTI NOEM: STURGIS RALLY IN SOUTH DAKOTA ABOUT ‘PERSONAL CHOICES’ OVER GOVERNMENT MANDATES

There was only one problem. Freon was invented in 1928. By the late 1930s, refrigerators were finding their way into every American home.

The ice business was obsolete.
Gov. Kristi Noem of South Dakota arrives at the Sturgis Buffalo Chip campground on Aug. 9. 2021, after riding in the Legends Ride for charity on a 2021 Indian Chief in Sturgis, South Dakota.

Gov. Kristi Noem of South Dakota arrives at the Sturgis Buffalo Chip campground on Aug. 9. 2021, after riding in the Legends Ride for charity on a 2021 Indian Chief in Sturgis, South Dakota. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Hoel pivoted, pursued his passion and brought an Indian Motorcycle franchise to Sturgis in 1936.

He formed the Jackpine Gypsies Motorcycle Club, chartered in 1937. The following year, he and the Gypsies hosted the first rally.

It was originally dubbed the Black Hills Motor Classic.

"Pappy would listen to [World War II veterans'] stories and let them vent." — Sturgis historian Coe Meyer

"Camping was provided in ‘Pappy’ and Pearl Hoel's backyard, behind their motorcycle shop on Junction Avenue in Sturgis. A dirt track race was held in conjunction with the rally," reported the American Motorcyclist Association Motorcycle Hall of Fame in its profile of Hoel.

Pearl is also a member of the same Hall of Fame.
Pappy's Vintage Cycles, Sturgis, S.D., owned today by motorcycle dealer Vinny Terranova, pays homage to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally founder J.C. "Pappy" Hoel. He owned an Indian Motorcycle shop on this location when he founded the rally in 1938.

Pappy's Vintage Cycles, Sturgis, S.D., owned today by motorcycle dealer Vinny Terranova, pays homage to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally founder J.C. "Pappy" Hoel. He owned an Indian Motorcycle shop on this location when he founded the rally in 1938. (Vinny Terranova)

"Pearl remembered the menu of that first year: ‘Weenies, sloppy joes, potato salad and watermelon for dessert.' The rally riders washed their free meal down with iced tea or coffee, served in a tent behind the Hoels’ garage at their dealership."

Two hundred motorcyclists attended the first rally; then 800 showed up the next year. It continued to balloon from there.

"The rally riders washed their free meal down with iced tea or coffee, served in a tent behind the Hoels’ garage at their dealership."

The event offered Hoel a chance to promote his love of motorcycles — and promote his fledgling Indian dealership. His idea worked brilliantly.

By 1947, "he sold more bikes per capita than anyone in the nation," reported the Hall of Fame.
Pappy's embrace of WWII veterans

It was also around 1947, in the years after World War II, that Pappy’s legend began to spread among the burgeoning community of veterans who fueled America’s post-war motorcycling boom.

Many World War II veterans suffered from combat fatigue, long before post-traumatic stress disorder was diagnosed as an affliction in 1980.
Dane Senser walks on Main Street during the 80th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on August 8, 2020, in Sturgis, S.D., wearing a POW-MIA vest. The rally traces its roots to founder Pappy Hoel's embrace of America's World War II veterans.

Dane Senser walks on Main Street during the 80th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on August 8, 2020, in Sturgis, S.D., wearing a POW-MIA vest. The rally traces its roots to founder Pappy Hoel's embrace of America's World War II veterans. (BRYAN R. SMITH/AFP via Getty Images)

"They bought Army surplus motorcycles and they would drive across the country just to get their head on straight," reported History.com, noting that Harley-Davidson and Indian built 100,000 vehicles for the military during World War II.

"Much cheaper than cars, motorcycles afforded veterans a freewheeling mode of group transportation at a time when fitting back into society posed certain challenges."

A Veterans Administration study estimates that 37 percent of World War II veterans seeking treatment after the war suffered PTSD.
People walk along Main Street lined with American flags, on August 6, 2020, a day before the start of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in S.D.

People walk along Main Street lined with American flags, on August 6, 2020, a day before the start of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in S.D. (Michael Ciaglo/Getty Images)

Not all sought treatment.

Many sought the open road. Many found Pappy.

Hoel "was a tough old buzzard" when it came to business and forging the rally, said Meyer, the Sturgis historian.

Yet Hoel had a soft spot in his heart for the young Americans who fought in World War II and were struggling to come to terms with the horrific human carnage they witnessed in combat.

"A lot of veterans were [bleeped] up," said Meyer. "They were hungry, they were broke, they had nowhere to stay. Their motorcycles needed work. And here was Pappy, dead set in the middle of the country."
Motorcyclists drive down Main Street during the 80th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on August 7, 2020. That year, the event attracted nearly 500,000 visitors despite the threat of COVID-19.

Motorcyclists drive down Main Street during the 80th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on August 7, 2020. That year, the event attracted nearly 500,000 visitors despite the threat of COVID-19. (Michael Ciaglo/Getty Images)

"He’d feed them and fix their motorcycles. But mostly we would listen to their stories and let them vent. When it was time to leave, he’d say, ‘Here’s what you owe me. Send me a check when you can.’"

The legend of the fatherly figure in Sturgis spread among the veterans leading the surge in motorcycle clubs and ridership around the nation.

Many returned to the rally in Sturgis to see the man they dubbed Pappy — often with friends and with a check in hand.
Brotherhood of motorcycling

J.C. "Pappy" Hoel died on Feb. 1, 1989. He was 84 years old.

He’s buried today at Bear Butte Cemetery in Sturgis, the city where he was born and which he made famous around the world.

He and Pearl were charter members of the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum and Hall of Fame, founded in 2001.
Jarrett Dahl of Dahl's Chainsaw Art poses next to his tribute to Pappy and Pearl Hoel carved from a giant silver cottonwood tree. The tree carving is outside Pappy's Vintage Cycles, once the Hoels' motorcycle shop.

Jarrett Dahl of Dahl's Chainsaw Art poses next to his tribute to Pappy and Pearl Hoel carved from a giant silver cottonwood tree. The tree carving is outside Pappy's Vintage Cycles, once the Hoels' motorcycle shop. (Jarrett Dahl/Dahl's Chainsaw Art)

His legacy has made Sturgis synonymous with motorcycles.

Motor muscle is deeply ingrained in the local culture.

"Motorcycles, four wheelers and horses. That’s how people grow up around here," said Even-Cordell, the rally coordinator for the city of Sturgis, adding that she got her first dirt bike at age 7.

"It’s amazing to think about it. We’re known worldwide as a motorcycling Mecca. A place people put on their bucket list."

Hoel’s legacy spreads far beyond the Sturgis city limits, said Meyer.

"When two bikers see each other, they wave, shake hands or hug each other. They call each other brother. It’s an informal fraternity."

He added, "That’s what Pappy created. The fraternity. He fostered the brotherhood of motorcycling."

Kerry J. Byrne is a lifestyle reporter with Fox News Digital.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Higginez
Deploy Tow Mirrors!!!
If they figure a bar end on the center line is a good idea when I am coming from the other way with 78,000 pounds at about 135 mph total, aka equal and opposite reaction, well, they're mistaken. 😎

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Of course I've never been. I have zero need to play dress up as an adult. If the culture is obesity, trashy, folks dressed up like it's fuggin Halloween, then yes, I hate the "culture."

I neither need to drive to south Dakota or dress like a fool to consume alcohol.

Let's face it, it's merely an excuse for middle class people to go drink, dress up like clowns, live an "alternative" life, and partake in debauchery for a week......it's an adult version of those weird kids that dress up in medieval outfits and larp in the park....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Views better with pics from the link if you ain't skeered of Fox ads.

The Magnificent Orange Woman.
[Linked Image from a57.foxnews.com]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I dig that chick.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.