Campfire Kahuna
W
If it stinks, don't eat it. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Anaconda
One factor that few people take into consideration, condition the product is stored in.
#1 Temperature;
Refrigerated products will last twice as long stored at 32-33 % compared to 37-38%
Most household refrigerators are set closer to that 37-38% range, cutting shelf life in half.
Put an accurate thermometer in your refrigerator, and adjust it down to 32-33%

Exactly, amen.

I keep all our fridges in the 32° - 33° range .... matter of fact, meat kept in the bottom drawers are stiff, almost frozen, and they last well past expiration dates and red meats age really well at those temps without being frost bitten.

One has to learn how to properly manage their fridges at those temps, especially with some fruits and veggies like cucumbers and zucchini but, once you get the hang of it and fully understand that cold goes down ... the closer the fridge is to freezing, the better.

The milk thing someone else mentioned ... somehow milk producers seem to have that down to a science but I'll still use soured milk to cook with.

Lately I've gone to this Fairlife milk and I love it plus it lasts well past its best by date for some reason. I've not figured that out yet. Same with certain cheeses and yogurts. One thing I've learned about block and hoop cheeses is I quit storing them in plastic zip lock bags and instead I've gone to wrapping them in wax paper or parchment paper and keeping them in a cheese box (not provolone or harvarti).

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Or just cook it a little longer.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've used medications that are 14 years past their date. I usually take 3 instead of 2 - figuring the potency has decreased. I'm still around and vertical.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Buckshot77
We didn't have a lot of money growing up and Dad worked at a grocery store. I was raised on out of date lunch meat, dark steaks and out of date milk.
Same here except the milk part and I was the dad. The 1st thing right off the bat is to ensure that the seal has not been broken and go from there.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
.... matter of fact, meat kept in the bottom drawers are stiff, almost frozen, and they last well past expiration dates and red meats age really well at those temps without being frost bitten.

Water freezes at 32%, meat freezes at 27-28%
Industry professional keep meat coolers at 28%, it doubles the shelf life again compared to 32-33%

MOLON LABE
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Back to women, I see?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The only thing I pay attention to is skim milk. Usually the best to use date is fairly accurate. Seems skim milk will go south quicker than 2% or whole milk.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The food bank around here will take canned goods 2 years past the “best by” date.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Deans
The only thing I pay attention to is skim milk. Usually the best to use date is fairly accurate. Seems skim milk will go south quicker than 2% or whole milk.
I noticed this back in the 1980s. Skim milk is crap, anyway. It's what used to get thrown away or fed to the pigs after making cream. They found a way to sell it like it was a health food. It's sugar water as far as your body is concerned.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I finished a gallon of 2% milk last night that the use date was 7/20. My fridge is set at 33 degrees.

Jim

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I tell her it’s “Best before” not “Bad after”.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
That's the winning line. Thanks Wannabe. Time to throw some gas on the fight

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
All women should have a "best when used by..." or better yet "discard after 01/00/20??" stamped on their forehead.

Damn straight!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Our DIL is paranoid about dates.
If you buy organic milk it won’t go bad in any reasonable time.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Dad always said "It's just a suggestion......"

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Got 3 - 3lb boxes of a private label brand name American cheese a couple of weeks ago. Something I thought was a bit unusual was they had a "Sell By" instead of a "Use By" date and instead of being on the outside of the box it's printed on side of the vacuum sealed cheese package INSIDE, so obviously you'd have to open the box and remove it first to even see the date.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by hatari
All women should have a "best when used by..." or better yet "discard after 01/00/20??" stamped on their forehead.

Forehead? Who looks at her forehead? smile

I bought a gallon of milk two days before it's "expiration", or best used by (I forgot which) date a while back, opened it the next morning.

I drank the last of it nearly a month later, and it's taste was off just a bit- starting to turn, but palatable.

Public school kids in the cafeteria, partaking of "free" or reduced price meals are the worst about this "I can't drink this- it's expired".
For one thing, they do not differentiate between "best used by", and "expiration". Indoctrination works!

Most of them have other unfounded issues as well....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Do you toss it if it's past the date. Got in a big fight over it. Growing up poor we had to do the sniff test before we tossed anything hell I've seen my dad do the taste test after it failed the smell test and say it's still good. Most of our bread and milk we got from a friend of my dad who would give it to use when it was getting close or had passed the date. I yelled at her for dumping a half empty jug of creamer out because it was past the date. Literally after I just finished a cup of coffee.
I'm like you - I don't toss anything unless it smells bad, tastes bad or it LOOKS like chit (i.e, deviled eggs. But I digress. )

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
I think of the dates as "lawyer dates"...a liability issue to protect the mfg.

Exp. dates on most can goods are usually 12-14 months...I double that date, and do smell test.

Dairy products, milk. If scum(fat) starts building up on side of carton, I just give it a good shake to re-blend it. Smell test on milk tells the tail.

Even two years is way too soon for canned food.

I use the expiration date as a marker, not a deadline.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.