Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I remember one wreck I worked, head-on fender bender, both cars doing about 20 mph. When we got there, one driver was walking around, talking to the police officer, he was unhurt. The other driver was slumped over the wheel, his face covered in blood. We transported him, he had a broken nose and a fractured cheekbone. Needed several surgeries. Guess which guy was wearing the seat belt.

Another wreck, 3 high school girls cruising down a dirt road at low speed one warm sunny afternoon after school. Little Jap pickup with a bench seat. The road had a deep ditch about 18 inches deep on the side, and a steep bank rising up from the ditch. The driver had swerved over into the ditch at about 20 mph. The girl next to the passenger window wasn't wearing the belt, she was thrown half way out the open window, and the truck rolled against the steep dirt bank, and the passenger girl got her head crushed between the top of the door frame and the red clay dirt bank. Dead right there. The truck didn't roll over, it was just tilted to the side there in the ditch. About $200 damage to the truck. If she had been wearing the belt, she would have been uninjured, like her 2 friends.

That one sticks with me because her dad was a DNR Ranger and I knew him, and while we were getting his daughter's body out of the truck, he showed up at the scene.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I feel naked without a seatbelt, no way would I drive without one.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
When I was little, cars didn't have belts yet. Usually one of us kids was in the front seat between Mom and Dad. Whenever it got bumpy or Dad had to slow down fast, Mom would throw her arm across whoever was in the middle to keep us from Getting tossed. Of course in a wreck, it wouldn't have helped a bit but luckily we never had one. For years after cars had belts, Mom's arm would still automatically shoot across whoever else was in the front seat.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Oldman03
It all depends on the accident.

Young man where I use to live, left a football game, headed home with 3 girls in the car. He was the only one buckled up. Wet roads, car hydroplaned into ditch and flipped. Broken collar bone was the worse injury to the 3 girls. Young man died.
That happens but it's the exception. Most of the time the one's belted in have the least injuries. Later model cars are built to protect the passengers. Staying in the seat will give you the most protection.

Not disagreeing, but seat belts are not all they are cracked up to be. Airbags do more good than seat belts.

A few months ago, 2 trucks head on collision, just down the road from where I live. Man wearing seat belt died, man not restrained minor injuries. It happens more than people think.

Studies have proven that drivers, restrained by a seat belt, take more chances, drive faster, and dont pay attention to their driving as much as non-restrained drivers. The feeling/thought that they are safer, because they are buckled up, makes them less attentive and take more chances.

Cut a lady out of a new F150 Saturday morning. Side swiped by a small SUV type vehicle, lady was not buckled up, but side airbags deployed and she had minor injuries. Older lady, couldn't get over truck console and couldn't get drivers door open. 2 vehicle were about 200 yds apart and I dont know anything about the other vehicle other than it hit a tree head on. Not sure about injuries.
I recall hearing of a state trooper comment in all his years of arriving on accident scenes he never unbuckled a dead person.

That's because first responders, firemen, or the coroner are the ones that remove the bodies from the vehicles.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 46 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.