Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve been looking for an Adirondack because I want something super short and lightweight for tree stand and tree saddle hunting, as well as packing in the mountains of North Carolina. I have a couple of Tikka’s but wanting something a little smaller and super packable.

I’ve had a hard time locating a Kimber adirondac which was the top of the list but this past weekend I stopped in the gun store and saw a couple of HOWA rifles that were extremely compact and lightweight. These were dressed in Kryptec camouflage.

Is anyone familiar with these? The price tag was $1100 and I don’t remember the model name but it was super light or ultralight or something like that. Short action.

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plain Kimber Hunter and a couple cans of Krylon if you want to paint the stock?

I saw a NIB Kimber Hunter in 270 priced at $730 a week or so ago. It was the last one that they had and was the style with a black Cerakote finish.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sent you a pm on a Kimber, could buy that and cut down and thread…

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Plain Kimber Hunter and a couple cans of Krylon if you want to paint the stock?

I saw a NIB Kimber Hunter in 270 priced at $730 a week or so ago. It was the last one that they had and was the style with a black Cerakote finish.

Where did you see this rifle? I’d be interested for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread was right under your nose:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/17489143/howa-1500-rifles#Post17489143

The one on the last page is probably the one you saw, but they have others with regular floorplates, some with carbon-wrapped barrels etc. For deer, I’d get a Mini in 6.5 Grendel, already did in fact, but had to piece it together since it pre-dates the Carbon Stalkers. Mine goes under 6.5lbs with a 18oz scope.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm surprised the Tikka didn't meet your needs. My brother bought a Tikka T3X 30-06 Superlight and it came in at around 6.5 lbs without scope. I was very impressed with how light and how accurate it was right out of the box with factory fodder... easily at around an inch at 100 yards with Rem Core lok ammo....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington 600 or the 660

Not lite, but super short.

Last edited by Simplepeddler; 08/08/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
love me some remmy 600/660 i built a really nice 300 savage with it. sorry i hi jacked the thread

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
Remington 600 or the 660

Not lite, but super short.

The M600 is pretty light, listed at 5 lb. 5 oz. while the Montana 84M specs at 5 lb. 2 oz.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sheister
I'm surprised the Tikka didn't meet your needs. My brother bought a Tikka T3X 30-06 Superlight and it came in at around 6.5 lbs without scope. I was very impressed with how light and how accurate it was right out of the box with factory fodder... easily at around an inch at 100 yards with Rem Core lok ammo....

For sure, I really like my Tikka. It is in 7mag and I’m looking for something super short and super light with shots typically inside 200 yards. I’ve been using the Tikka pretty much exclusively and leaving everything else in the safe the last three seasons, but there are a few public land areas I’m looking at hiking into this season and trying to shave every ounce I can. Once I get there, I will be in tight quarters so I’m looking for something just a bit smaller/shorter. Part of that equation is going to a short action.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a Christensen Mesa FFT in 308 very nice gun

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Model 7 [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
The Howa rifle you saw is probly the Superlite model (less than 5lbs) My LGS has a few of those on his shelf a I thought the action's on his were rough as hell..before you buy take a Look at the Christensen Mesa FFT, its a 700 clone with improvements and with the FFT stock it is very light indeed...I have a Mesa FFT and a Ridgeline FFT both are chambered in .308 Win and they are both very good shooters and function flawlessly 👍.......Good luck....Hb

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You might also be thinking of the Howa Alpine rifle. They were chambered for several short-action cartridges. Some had detachable magazines, some had BDL-style floorplates. All had Bansner stocks, which are worth the cost of the rifle.

I sold my Alpine because the balance was too far to the rear. I shoot offhand nearly all of the time on game, and I can't abide a rifle that floats like the Alpine did. I also had the misfortune to compare it to an exceptionally accurate Tikka T3 in 308 that I owned at the time. I sold the Alpine because the Tikka outshot it slightly.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I haven't owned a Howa, but the actions I have tried are not in the same class as my $600 kimber Hunter in 243. The Kimber is accurate as well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Here's my preference for light rifles:

1. Kimber Montana (and derivatives)
2. Tikka T3/T3x
3. Weatherby Ultra Light (do they still make this?)

All are quality and light and accurate with good triggers and nicely balanced. Based on a number, it's rare to get a lemon in these three.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you're looking to spend Adirondack kinda money, you could build the rifle to your specs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thats a M700 short action weighing in at 6 1/4lbs.

I snagged a Brown's Precision Pound'r very cheap on a forum. I had a donor action. Barrel was ordered to my specs from McGowen. It's a remage setup...Remington threads with a savage barrel nut to set headspace.

I got lucky and had a donor action laying around and snagging the stock cheap. I'm to the point now that if I'm spending $1000+ on a rifle, I will try to build it. Yes you'll spend more than $1000 to build most rifles...if I'm spending that much, I'll spend more to get something that i actually want and checks all the boxes not just most of them.

In my case, I got lucky with a low cost action and stock and now I have a rifle that checks all my boxes...and probably one of the few m700s chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Last edited by Mauser06; 08/11/22.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
I stopped in the gun store and saw a couple of HOWA rifles that were extremely compact and lightweight. These were dressed in Kryptec camouflage.

Is anyone familiar with these? The price tag was $1100 and I don’t remember the model name but it was super light or ultralight or something like that. Short action.

HOWA makes great stuff, I wouldn't hesitate if it fits your needs. And unlike Kimber, they function, and shoot reliably and accurately.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie john
You might also be thinking of the Howa Alpine rifle. They were chambered for several short-action cartridges. Some had detachable magazines, some had BDL-style floorplates. All had Bansner stocks, which are worth the cost of the rifle.

I sold my Alpine because the balance was too far to the rear. I shoot offhand nearly all of the time on game, and I can't abide a rifle that floats like the Alpine did. I also had the misfortune to compare it to an exceptionally accurate Tikka T3 in 308 that I owned at the time. I sold the Alpine because the Tikka outshot it slightly.

Okie John

Haven’t seen an Alpine for sale in a while. I’m giving mine to my son’s family for kids’ use, today in fact. Great rifle. Fully bedded barrel puts different loads in pretty much the same spot, a nice trait.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ingwe: I agree with everything you say about Howa/Vanguard rifles. However you left one thing out. They are so darn heavy. Not only does the 2 lb. 13 oz. action weigh the same as a Mauser 98 action but the factory injection molded stock is one of the heaviest I have seen. The only time I use my Vanguard rifle is when I get delivered to my shooting hut by electric golf cart in Alabama. When I am hoofing it every where else I hunt my 5 1/2 lb. Winchester Model 70 Lightweight is more approriate. Just for comparison a Remington 700 action weighs 2 lb. 4 oz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 222Sako, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 65 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.