Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Now this is how I like a scope to fail on me! grin

No messin' around, no 'sneaky' shots, no wandering POI after adjusting....just get it over with as painlessly as possible.

POA on both targets was the center dot in the 10 ring.

Good shootin' smile -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wandering POI after adjusting..

My favorite type of torture. crazy

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
wandering POI after adjusting..

My favorite type of torture. crazy

Hey....I'm ecstatic that it happened during testing at my home range instead of where I was headed to! wink -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PAIN! Bahahaha

Yep. A silver lining fir sure AL.

Care to share info on tye scope?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
PAIN! Bahahaha

Care to share info on tye scope?

No need to post the name....that will just start some sort of chit show. wink It was a great scope that had a lot of rounds under it. It's on the way to the repair shop where they'll turn the poop into ice cream.

I plopped my proven Sightron SII Big Sky on it, loaded my gear and hit the road....happy as if I had a brain. wink

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So, based on the rational of your reluctance to list the brand, can one logically interpret your approach to the subject to be tacit acknowledgment of it's objective ring color?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starbuck
So, based on the rational of your reluctance to list the brand, can one logically interpret your approach to the subject to be tacit acknowledgment of it's objective ring color?
No....it wasn't a Leupold. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

You mean other scopes Amber Heard too? Whodathunkit?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
You mean other scopes Amber Heard too? Whodathunkit?

Crazy, huh? crazy

It amazes me how reliable scopes really are, all things considered. Like anything mechanical, there's a certain 'life span' before something happens. Over the years, I've only had four scopes actually fail. All of them had multiple thousands of rounds under them...probably 10-20 times more than most scopes would ever endure in a lifetime of normal hunting/shooting use.

Another three individual but identical scopes had issues right out-of-the-box that the manufacturer could not and/or would not address. After the fourth trip back to try and resolve the issue, that manufacturer simply kept my scope and never returned it or my money.

I guess that's one way of dealing with a problem product...just keep it and pizz the customer off bad enough that they quit buying your product. Mission accomplished on their part. wink

Good shootin' smile -Al

P.S. Contrary to what's popular to say, I've never had a single Leupold cause me any gas. It's not that I don't believe there are issues...it just hasn't been my experience.

Forbidden Zoner
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I don't see what the problem is. It just takes a few shots and becomes self-centering...

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've had a lot of them go tits-up but maybe i shoot a lot more heavy recoiling rifles than Al. My 7 ½# 340 Weatherby has killed at least 5 scopes. The adjustable objective VX IIIs were the most fragile. I broke all of them. I've had the internals come apart so bad you couldnt see the reticle.

Some have been amazingly durable, however

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Al:

I didn't specify a color. The assumption that it was gold makes you the hater!

In seriousness, I give you some credit for not mentioning names. A lot of folks really identify with brands, and, by extension, take it very personal when someone reports disparate results with their pet brands, which inevitably foments the tangential SS you mentioned.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I've had a lot of them go tits-up but maybe i shoot a lot more heavy recoiling rifles than Al. My 7 ½# 340 Weatherby has killed at least 5 scopes. The adjustable objective VX IIIs were the most fragile. I broke all of them. I've had the internals come apart so bad you couldnt see the reticle.

Some have been amazingly durable, however

Dennis:

I have a LW 338 WM that's wiped out 3 scopes so far. Also had an Accumark 300 Wby that made a couple go wonky. Neither had brakes. I foolishly sold the Wby off because I don't know why, but the 338 WM has had a NF 3-10 on it for a lot of shooting and toting around, and it's doing very well so far.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Al:

I didn't specify a color. The assumption that it was gold makes you the hater!

In seriousness, I give you some credit for not mentioning names. A lot of folks really identify with brands, and, by extension, take it very personal when someone reports disparate results with their pet brands, which inevitably foments the tangential SS you mentioned.

This is true, and so silly. I got flamed for calling Swarovski what they are…. Optically wonderful, yet lacking reliability. People took serious offense. I don’t get it. How can a grown man get his chonies so twisted over a brand name!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Falling behind here. Don't see how those two targets in and of themselves prove or disprove anything?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Thread is amusing. I have probably owned 200+ scopes over the years. The only one that ever "failed" was an old M8 4X Leupold that a horse fell on. Leupold replaced with a new one free.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After the fourth trip back to try and resolve the issue, that manufacturer simply kept my scope and never returned it or my money.

Well, so much for “persistence pays off”😜

That story’s almost worth what it cost you.

What fresh Hell is this?
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Great story unsupported by any names, places, correspondence etc.

Credibility is on a par with the "evidence" the FBI will find in Mrs Trump's undies.

Waiting for the lawsuit against the secret scope maker.

blush

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every now and then I wonder! What happened? What's up? I just sent a scope in for repair, because I think that must be the problem. I check the bedding, the screws I bump the bullet in the case if loaded a while back. It is glass bedded and has a free-floating barrel.

I have a 280 700 BDL that used to shoot 1/2MOA or usually better groups and consistently with 162 grain Hornady's. Then the groups open to 2", then 3" then 4"... Same with 150 grain Nosler Partitions. First 1/2 MOA then on up, just like the Interlock loads.

I sent that scope in and I mounted another. I have not had time to take it back to the range. If it's not the scope, then what? I just hate it when a scope turns Democrat.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It was a Barska, Al, wasn't it? laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (1_deuce, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 49 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,207
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.