Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So 3% on $850K is between 2-3K a month interest with no management needed. Property, sky's the limit but requires hands on or a management company.

For those suggesting silver, do you buy low/sell high or just hold long term?

LOL
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
$850,000 tomorrow?

The goal would be to provide monthly income while preserving the investment in it's entirety.

I know, boring.

Trying to hide it 'fore the new jack-booted IRS agents come a knockin'? cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the people suggesting income property, how active are you in managing it yourselves, or do you hire a property management company for hands off?

Answer this question.

You've acquired a nifty rental and you're screening prospective tenants.

You see my name and number listed on a application as current landlord, you call me.

I tell you the guys good, pays his rent on time never caused me any trouble.

Would this make you feel confident in renting to this guy?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
As conservatively/safely as possible

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Bought lots of RIOT at 4.30

Riot Blockchain Inc
10.21 USD
+5.31 (108.93%)past month

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where did it come from? Sale of real property? 1031 exchange if so.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
$850,000 tomorrow?

The goal would be to provide monthly income while preserving the investment in it's entirety.

I know, boring.

With $850k you can buy 3 or 4 mountains in West Virginia... half a county maybe... if you look hard enough.

You like banjo music?

For the people suggesting income property, how active are you in managing it yourselves, or do you hire a property management company for hands off?

For a guy with $850k... you ask some really stupid questions.

Land has multiple uses... renewable timber, stone (if a marketable product), B&B cabins, grazing potential, hunting leases... even Federal programs (Native Trout stream restoration, Wildlife restoration, reforestation $$$).

The B&B next to me is $160 a night (IIRC) and pretty much stays full in season... the owner lady does her own house keeping. She wants to buy some more land from me for more cabins... I reckon if she puts up 4 or 5 she might hire out a maid.

None of it rocket science...

HARD COMMODITIES... PHYSICALLY HELD...

In short, buy stuff that you know and make money with it... College rentals, build trailers as a fabricator... turn seed corn into corn... slop hogs... sell hogs.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by lapua6547

Riot Blockchain Inc
10.21 USD

SWEET... that is a nice lick right there. Congratulations!

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L

Riot Blockchain Inc
10.21 USD

Easiest mil I ever made

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Is that a real question or just a fugging moron wammering for attention?

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Is that a real question or just a fugging moron wammering for attention?

This.

If there really was $850,000 the T1-11 would get replaced.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cash;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking good thus far for you out on the east coast and all who matter to you are well.

If anyone has mentioned this already I apologize as I've missed it, but for my personal comfort level, if that 850K dropped in the lap of someone who was currently in debt, I'd suggest that they look at eliminating said debt. That sort of ties into the John Goodman scene I suppose?

Being a lifetime "numbers guy" and being married to an accountant/CFO for 40 years, I'd suggest that any potential investments that aren't expected to stay ahead of the current inflation rate should be avoided. Granted in the past year it's been a rough ride on the markets, but up until the beer flu mess it wasn't a huge issue to invest with a financial advisor and meet that goal.

Regarding the different opinions on precious metals, specifically gold, silver and lead, it's seemed to me that gold is the toughest to actually use in a post apocalyptic situation as one would need a way to break it up or partition the individual pieces, no? Historically that was done with a scale, but both parties involved would need to know that they were dealing with 100% pure metal in that instance. Frankly I don't have that ability and other than fairly serious miner/gold bug buddies, few that I've met do.

Silver and lead require much less education if one is considering a EOTWAWKI sort of situation.

The former - in my view - is best obtained from a reputable dealer who doesn't feel the need to involve the federal government about said transactions - so private dealers up here can sell under $10K without such attachments or at least were doing so up to a few years back. Since I'm a Canuck I like 1oz Maple Leafs, but there's choices out there.

The latter is good too, it's best to have a mix of pure and either wheel weight and/or linotype if possible... wink

Not that I know anything about any of that, but I've heard of it Cash.

[Linked Image]

Overall though up here land and housing is where the crazy inflation prices have been taking place. For instance a quarter of decent farm land in Saskatchewan that was $40K not all that many years ago is now $400K.

Regarding rental properties, we know a bunch of folks who do that and all the successful ones are VERY personally involved.

Hopefully that was useful for someone out there.

All the best to you all today Cash, I hope it's a good one for you.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/11/22.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If that was on top of what I already have invested for retirement, I'd put it in a simple annuity. You can get about 5% on them now.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Iowa farmland, not at current prices.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Dwayne... you are a joy to have around and I hope we get to F2F sooner or later (although my PP is DOA and will probably stay that way).

Lead is an excellent idea IMHO... It will ALWAYS RETAIN VALUE... and nobody is going to steal 4 tons of lead bars laying behind your wood pile.

Same with hot or cold rolled steel if a man is a fabricator (local boy built a hell of a firewood processor with conveyor belt et al to a dump truck) with a stash he had... kinda thing.

Same with wire... another buddy is still sitting on 14 pallets of Romex.

Lumber... same...

Primers... ditto

Whatever a man knows well... and can make a living/profit with.

HARD COMMODITIES... PHYSICALLY HELD

As for silver... smart move.

I would use ammo much the same way in a pinch.

You commentary is ALWAYS WELCOME... you are far less abrasive... and the Campfire benefits greatly from that.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Riot Blockchain Inc
10.21 USD

Easiest mil I ever made

bought HUT, SDIG last month. Wish I bought more

Congrats

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cash;
Thanks so much once more for the very kind reply.

I fear you give me far too much credit, but am appreciative of that oversight on your part.

As a bit of a further tangent, if one cracks a few history books as I know you have done, one would see a trend that in tougher and more trying times, it's the groups and neighborhoods who are able to co-exist or band together that tend to have better outcomes than individuals. That makes sense mathematically too really, though the greater the group size the more various logistics need to be addressed.

That said, we've had a fairly big changeover in ownership in my rural neighborhood in the past 2 years Cash and I've made it a point to get to know the new folks as much as possible.

We had a recurring problem with a young male black bear so I set up a texting chain to let them know where the last sightings were, etc. They in turn would let me know if it was on their deck, etc and then after the Conservation Officer service had been called usually me and another young neighbor I'm getting set up for handloading would wander over and shoo the recalcitrant bruin away from the deck, pool or pet poodle of the new folks.

Edit to add - the CO's are stretched so thin here that if they can show up that day to a problem bear or cougar, it's a good day. Not their fault whatsoever, just how it is.

This accomplished a few things Cash among them being, I now know who is armed, who wants to be, who hunts, which of the neighbors like to cooperate, etc.

As an added bonus I also know who can weld, who are very competent backyard mechanics, who likes to garden, who has medical training... you know, stuff that one hopes and prays to never need to know, but if one does then there's no time like the present to find out, correct?

Oh, the bear...

Another neighbor calls me mid morning and asks if "I'd mind giving him a hand with an issue". Please note that we have liberal black bear seasons in BC and where we live discharge of firearms is legal within some guidelines.

Of course I dropped everything, grabbed what I needed and went over.

My buddy started laughing when I showed up because as I bailed out I had a bag of Nitrile 8mil mechanics gloves and a fresh box of contractor garbage bags in my hands.... grin

Says he to me, "I'll bet you've got a pocket full of knives too don't you?", to which I replied, "Only 4 sir, why do you ask?"

Anyways Cash, I suppose all that's to say that if I didn't live in a spot where that was my circumstance, I'd give some consideration to spending the $850K towards achieving that goal.

It's worked for us and truly what else can we suggest than something that has, you know?

All the best and thanks so much once more for the kindness you've shown me.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/11/22. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Please, please, pleeeease buy $850k worth of silver.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Dwayne...

What you describe... in my estimation/simple mind is quite literally what I just explained to Charles (my young deck building friend from another post)... over beer and lunch as an "After Action" assessment...

I am sure there is some great lecture or PhD dissertation on same, but for me it is core basic simple.

My friend Ev is a proper genius, Charles is a most impressive 32 year old... and a fella like me can tie his own boots most days.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We each are capable... but the overlap brings 2X horsepower... and on those rare occasions when 3K HP is needed... the capacity exists.

There is nothing overly clever in this diagram... nothing at all... just the precept (from an antiquated American document)... "we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.”

Community matters immensely... Honor is at the heart of any Community.

To me... this is very center of all foundation/founding of men... and it is simple... and it costs nothing (i.e. it is FREE) until needed.

I am glad to see the same whenever I do...

Be well, Leonard

Last edited by CashisKing; 08/11/22. Reason: Bad link fixed

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’m up to nearly 50 bedrooms of student housing at University of Memphis. They’re almost paid for. I’m 66 and about to retire on them. It’s worked well for me.

Mackey.

Mackey
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (1_deuce, 1minute, 264mag, 17CalFan, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 28 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,066
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.