Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Given you have to use a long action to build one, and it’s a bit shorter and fatter than a 280AI but gets the same velocity …. It may help with OAL, but the reality is all those longer bullets are seated to far down even in the 280ai…

So - if your smith has a good 280AI reamer, it will probably mirror what the 7 PRC will do accuracy wise…

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by WiFowler
So who's gonna be the first 'Fire member to build one on a Rem 700 / 700 clone?

They might not have to.

True.

I expect that several manufacturers will be marketing them shortly after the 'official' release by Hornady. From a clone standpoint, I suspect Christensen will have a couple offerings. Other than that, Savage will likely have a few variations, themselves. Probably a lot of 'customs' and 'semi-customs will be offered, as well.

FWIW, I spoke to Manson a week or so ago about getting a reamer and gages. I was told that delivery would be sometime in late Sept. I was told I was the 3rd call of the day and the backorders for the 7PRC are piling up.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Should be ballistic magic....

I'm thinking it would a modernization of the 7mm RM (a personal favorite), updated shoulder and no belt. Much like the 300 WM could use, no belt, 30 degree shoulder, .308 neck. Not necessarily better ballistically, just a better case design. Never liked the way belts stack up and take room in a magazine.

.300 PRC?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Given you have to use a long action to build one, and it’s a bit shorter and fatter than a 280AI but gets the same velocity …. It may help with OAL, but the reality is all those longer bullets are seated to far down even in the 280ai…

So - if your smith has a good 280AI reamer, it will probably mirror what the 7 PRC will do accuracy wise…

Keep coming back to a 1:8 twist/long throated .270 Win., with 150 gr. ABLR's.

At ~ 3K fps at the muzzle, it would be a 600 yard elk, and 750 yd. deer rifle.

Probably about the same w/ the 165 gr. ABLR as well.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

I'm thinking it would a modernization of the 7mm RM (a personal favorite), updated shoulder and no belt. Much like the 300 WM could use, no belt, 30 degree shoulder, .308 neck. Not necessarily better ballistically, just a better case design. Never liked the way belts stack up and take room in a magazine.

.300 PRC?
Close, would be happy though with the 300 with the belt turned off, caliber neck and 30 degree shoulder. PRC is ''fatter" and has a bit more recoil.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, I always hated that too. Knowing I could get 3 and 1/8 cartridges in the mag box vs 3. Really chaps my hide!!! Even in my pre 64's that hold 4 and my sporter m1917 that holds 5 magnum cartridges. If I could only get 5 and a 1/4 rounds in, that would be the schidt right there..

BSA, you're a pretty inquisitive tuner of hunting rifles. Your bedding jobs and handloading is first-rate stuff. I know you're much more capable of investigating something, before you cast judgement.

Anyhow, this excellent 338 rcm/300rcm family of cartridges are an honest 4 rounds down kinda gun, in the ruger hawkeye platform. Ruger missed the mark on a very important, marketable advantage over the wsm's: 4 rounds down

But nah man, they(ruger/hornady) had to bllsht the collective intelligence of riflemen by claiming these cartridges were the equivalent of the 338 win mag in a short barrel. Which we all know was bllsht. The bllsht continued with some of the mediocre, cheerleader, yes-men gunwriter shills.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 08/17/22.
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
If a sub-MOA 7mm Weatherby won’t kill it, it’s not on this continent. The PRC’s might be more “inherently” accurate, whatever that is…. Have a ball!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WAM
If a sub-MOA 7mm Weatherby won’t kill it, it’s not on this continent. The PRC’s might be more “inherently” accurate, whatever that is…. Have a ball!

It's likely less about terminal ballistics and more about the rifle itself combined with and advantage in "in flight" ballistics available. Large or small.

COAL and twist being set up for the 180 and larger bullets en vogue etc.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This paragraph, quoted from the referenced article, is what has me on the fence . . . as I have a 7 SAUM on a Tikka T3.

"7mm PRC vs 7mm SAUM

Two very evenly matched cartridges, if you already have one, it would not be worth it to get the other as well. The 7mm PRC has a lower 30 degree shoulder angle, so it may feed from a magazine easier than the 7mm SAUM, and the 7mm PRC has very slightly more powder capacity so offering very slight muzzle velocity advantages, but hardly noticeable. With Hornady behind it, we should also see more available components and ammo for the 7mm PRC compared to the scarce 7mm SAUM. The 7mm PRC is basically the 7mm SAUM ballistic twin that get better factory support and marketing behind it."

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
WiFowler,

Whoever wrote that article is FOS in more than one way, but the biggie is the 7mm PRC has considerably more powder room than the 7mm SAUM, because its case body is the same diameter as the SAUM but almost .3" longer. (Also the 7mm PRC's shoulder angle is not "lower"--whatever that means--than the 7mm SAUM's, since they both have 30-degree shoulders.)

I am quite familiar with the 7mm SAUM, having handloaded for it for several years after it appeared, and took a bunch of big game with it from South Texas to northern Quebec. I never could get more than than around 2875 fps from 175-grain bullets with the best powders from my stainless/synthetic 700's 24-inch barrel, and the 7mm PRC is indeed capable of just about 3000 with the 180-grain Hornady ELDM--which has an extremely high BC.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I posted this in the action thread down in the custom rifles forum, but it probably belongs here also - for ease of reference.
Long action:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I posted this in the action thread down in the custom rifles forum, but it probably belongs here also - for ease of reference.
Long action:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][

It’s definitely enticing with it being correct across the board.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
7mm PRC? Cute little bugger.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I (and I would argue, the majority of folks) have far more use for a 7mm designed properly in all respects, than for a .458 Win. Mag.

Blasphemy! Say it ain't so!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WiFowler,

Whoever wrote that article is FOS in more than one way, but the biggie is the 7mm PRC has considerably more powder room than the 7mm SAUM, because its case body is the same diameter as the SAUM but almost .3" longer. (Also the 7mm PRC's shoulder angle is not "lower"--whatever that means--than the 7mm SAUM's, since they both have 30-degree shoulders.)

I am quite familiar with the 7mm SAUM, having handloaded for it for several years after it appeared, and took a bunch of big game with it from South Texas to northern Quebec. I never could get more than than around 2875 fps from 175-grain bullets with the best powders from my stainless/synthetic 700's 24-inch barrel, and the 7mm PRC is indeed capable of just about 3000 with the 180-grain Hornady ELDM--which has an extremely high BC.
John,

It seems to me that the 7 PRC is closer in capacity and performance to the 7 WSM than the 7 SAUM.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

Hornady's 180 ELD-M factory load is also one of the most wind-resistant I've ever fired--along with being VERY accurate. Spent a couple days last week shooting a bunch of it with several other gun writers at ranges out to 1800 yards. Unfortunately, can't reveal any more details for a couple of months....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's great news!

I've been shooting that bullet for a bit over 5 years, into game like bull moose at a couple dozen yards and on steel beyond 2000. I've shot it from a bunch of 7 WSM, 7 RM, and 7-08 rifles, and I agree with you; it simply cuts through wind like a warm knife through butter. IME, it has worked well on game, and it's also one of the easiest bullets to get to shoot in a variety of rifles that I've worked with. Great bullet, and it'll be an asset in well-made factory ammo.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s great stuff. Who’dve guessed a wicked high BC from a 7 Rem sorta capacity cartridge with a well thought out throat and twist would kick butt grin

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Who will be the first to offer a prefit?
laugh

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 26 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,133
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.