-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am all for the draft if our nation is in jeopardy, but for nation building in other countries, no way. For the record, I was drafted, and served. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
US Army Reserve, Staff Seargent when discharged.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I appreciate everyone here who was Drafted/Served, Volunteered, or Enlisted. I agree that not everyone is cut out for Military duty, and this is a "terrible time" to Volunteer/Enlist. There IS a difference between a Draft to "fill the Ranks, etc" and a Draft to "replace thousands of casualties" in a Hot War. I'm talking about a War that is on every American's mind, not "hidden off to the side, i.e. the War on Terror. I'm not talking about the latter, as then, all bets are off! But "right now", I just don't see anything wrong with putting young people to work for 2 years, putting the proverbial boot up their butt to motivate them and then giving them GI Benefits later. And its a "pipe dream" of mine that it would "start with the Draft Dodgers kids". But that's just me. In no way do I even think everyone on this Board has the same Worldview that I do, ha, its "just us guys" throwing around Opinions. I appreciate everyone's input/reaction.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I appreciate everyone here who was Drafted/Served, Volunteered, or Enlisted. I agree that not everyone is cut out for Military duty, and this is a "terrible time" to Volunteer/Enlist. There IS a difference between a Draft to "fill the Ranks, etc" and a Draft to "replace thousands of casualties" in a Hot War. I'm talking about a War that is on every American's mind, not "hidden off to the side, i.e. the War on Terror. I'm not talking about the latter, as then, all bets are off! But "right now", I just don't see anything wrong with putting young people to work for 2 years, putting the proverbial boot up their butt to motivate them and then giving them GI Benefits later. And its a "pipe dream" of mine that it would "start with the Draft Dodgers kids".

Back when I served, the Guard and Reserves were not "generally" Activated, but the "downside" was you had those 6 years to do! ha I would reasoned I'd rather "get it over with", take the gamble. But that's just me. In no way do I even think everyone on this Board has the same Worldview that I do, ha, its "just us guys" throwing around Opinions. I appreciate everyone's input/reaction.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by rlott
I work in retail part time and I see maybe 10 out of 100 men under 35 who would even get through the medical and/or weight screening at MEPS. And that's a generous estimate on a good day. Men over 35? Train wreck.

We're basically screwed at this point.

Nothing new. US Army reports about the condition of recruits for WW II and Korea were so alarmingly poor that Eisenhower created The President's Council on Physical fitness in order to get America's youth in shape because they moved off the farm. Focused on nutrition and physical fitness. Remember "Pullups, pushups, jump rope?"

None of it's original recommendations can be found in public schools today. Too busy teaching "Charlotte has two Mommies".

Other issue has been lack of Phys Ed instructors in school. Then the fact you can't make kids run and sweat. Every female from Middle School age on has the cop out "I can't, I'm on my period".

Can't make kids shower and return to class in the US. Then you'd have the gender thing. How many high school aged boys would "identify" as female to go shower with the girls?

Mom and Dad in suburbia chauffeur kids to and from school and all other activities. No more of this ride your bike to school. Here, kids would be road kill.

Sad.
I remember all of that Presidential Fitness. It was like middle school olympics. But compulsory

That 600 yard dash was a mfker 🤣🤣

Uggggh, bad morning to have eaten that Steak Umm sammich

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The child of a draft dodger or a politician should get drafted first?

Get sent to a potential death row, of just a life totally not suited to them for something their POS parent did? Sounds cool if ya think about it real quick like. But then...wait a minute, that just ain't right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To dovetail into this conversation, the reason for re-instatement of the draft needs to be defined. Is it to win a war? If so, then re-enlist a mass of old, grumpy, retired military guys, and let them kick ass and take names later rules be damned - all's fair in love and war.

If the purpose of re-instatement is simply to increase troop strength, then every single, solitary, 18yr old should be lined up - regardless. No college deferment; no such thing as 4F. H e ll, drone pilots are joystick jockeys, and you can bet your sweet a$$ most 4F can handle a joystick.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Miles, I recall you and me talking about being Drafted, and serving in S.E. Asia, that was a scary time. makes me proud to know people like you. Rio7

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by EdM
I was under the impression that Trump "dodged" the draft. No?

Hard to believe no one's lambasted ya for that one, Ed.

I am stunned... Ship Barron off when of age.

That's fine. Barron isn't going to be a grunt in a rifle platoon. With his education, he'd be a REMF, but you gotta have those.

Same with the other politician kids that some what to send off. None of them will go in harms way.

First batch in any real shooting war gets massacred. You want to straighten out society in a big way? Then let the "social experiment" members of the military go first. Gay, Bi,Trans, women in combat, etc. It won't go well. There will be horrible losses, but it will drive home the fact that war is not a social experiment, and there is a reason the Roman legions were made of men and not the women of Rome.

Yep, because they hadn't woke yet. Lazy bastids slept in.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Oh my.....

Let's discuss how many deferments Honk for Joey and Billy Boy got to advoid being drafted.

Let's discuss relatives and friends who got the home town doc hook up to get em a deferment via the local draft board.

Let's discuss those who got educated by friends and family to join the local gaurd or reserve unit in high school as 17 and 18 yr olds knowing it would eliminate them from AD draft and the chances of them ever being federalized were slim to none.

I bet some of you know of these types of self preservation D bags....

But yet wouldnt condemn them....

Hum a na
Hum a na
Hum a na

Not sure I understand what youre insinuating

Farm kid special treatment?

Good ole boy running the grain elevator is the local draft board representative?

???

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell, I dodged it. Wanted to be an Aviator and in order to do that, one needs to be an officer and to do that, you need a college degree. BTW, the Vietnam War had the least number of draftees ~ 25% whilst WWII had the most, right at 62%

source

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Continued:

After a long few day's of driving in bad weather we made it home, took a couple of day's to get organized, off to Denver, my Uncle lived in Castle Rock, so i went there to spend a couple day's with him and aunt Jeanie, I reported to the Draft office at 9:00 am on Valentines Day Feb.14 th 1959 at 11:00 pm i was in Ft Ord California, in the Army talk about culture shock! This was in the day's people were starting to talk about civil rights and equal rights, but Sargent's could still kick you in the ass if they though needed it, after 8 weeks in Ft Ord, basic training, the Army in their infinite wisdom decided I needed to be a M.P. Back then you couldn't pick you MOS, off i went to Ft. Gordon Ga. to become a Military Cop, by the way Miles Patton, went to signal school at Ft Gordon, While in Ft. Gordon, as a Pvt. making $ 52.00 a month, a guy came and told us we could make $ 55.00 more a month if we volunteered for Airborne, sounded good to me, off I went to Ft. Campbell, Kentucky, where i learned to fall from the sky just like bird Schitt, While i was in jump school here came a guy with a real cute uniform that said if we volunteered, Beware of the word! for Ranger School and made it we would get another $ 65.00 a month, Hell I was going to be rich before to long, off i went to Ft. Bragg N.C.to become a Ranger.---- Duty calls, to be Cont: Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a stateside deference, Johns Manville was building fireproof products for the military. I was a wool pusher on GLAZ451 the superfurnace. Wasn’t but a handful of us that knew how to tame and feed that behemoth.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hell, I dodged it. Wanted to be an Aviator and in order to do that, one needs to be an officer and to do that, you need a college degree. BTW, the Vietnam War had the least number of draftees ~ 25% whilst WWII had the most, right at 62%

source

My take on the reason for such a lower percentage of draftees during the Vietnam War versus WWII is many more had the choice to enlist voluntarily for just a 1 year longer commitment and getting trained and assigned to field they qualified in and serving stateside, Europe, etc., rather than being drafted and sent to a combat unit in Vietnam.

As always, though, ... YMMV

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back at you Blue. Some will always do what has to be done. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

source

My take on the reason for such a lower percentage of draftees during the Vietnam War versus WWII is many more had the choice to enlist voluntarily for just a 1 year longer commitment and getting trained and assigned to field they qualified in and serving stateside, Europe, etc., rather than being drafted and sent to a combat unit in Vietnam.

I talked to a lot of soldiers that took the extra year or two to get the duty station of their choice, most rotated through Vietnam, anyway. Never trust a recruiter. miles

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by milespatton
Originally Posted by joken2

source

I talked to a lot of soldiers that took the extra year or two to get the duty station of their choice, most rotated through Vietnam, anyway. Never trust a recruiter. miles

I can honestly say - my recruiter never lied to me. Everything happened the way he said it would. Then again, I think some people aren't all that great at asking the right questions - didn't ask and thus weren't told answers that would have changed their choices.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I appreciate everyone here who was Drafted/Served, Volunteered, or Enlisted. I agree that not everyone is cut out for Military duty, and this is a "terrible time" to Volunteer/Enlist. There IS a difference between a Draft to "fill the Ranks, etc" and a Draft to "replace thousands of casualties" in a Hot War. I'm talking about a War that is on every American's mind, not "hidden off to the side, i.e. the War on Terror. I'm not talking about the latter, as then, all bets are off! But "right now", I just don't see anything wrong with putting young people to work for 2 years, putting the proverbial boot up their butt to motivate them and then giving them GI Benefits later. And its a "pipe dream" of mine that it would "start with the Draft Dodgers kids". But that's just me. In no way do I even think everyone on this Board has the same Worldview that I do, ha, its "just us guys" throwing around Opinions. I appreciate everyone's input/reaction.
What about the no "involuntary servitude except as punishment for a crime"? Military draft seems unconstitutional. Just as the 2nd amendment doesn't allow exceptions neither does the 13th.

And I don't see the eagerness to draft children of politicians or "draft dodgers". Do we punish children for the perceived misdeeds of the parents as a way of punishing the parents? For all we know the children don't approve of their parents either.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by slumlord
I remember all of that Presidential Fitness. It was like middle school olympics. But compulsory

The fuggin shuttle run got my azz every single year. ☠️

I could do all the other stuff, but I could never run that damn thing fast enough.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by rlott
I work in retail part time and I see maybe 10 out of 100 men under 35 who would even get through the medical and/or weight screening at MEPS. And that's a generous estimate on a good day. Men over 35? Train wreck.

We're basically screwed at this point.

Nothing new. US Army reports about the condition of recruits for WW II and Korea were so alarmingly poor that Eisenhower created The President's Council on Physical fitness in order to get America's youth in shape because they moved off the farm. Focused on nutrition and physical fitness. Remember "Pullups, pushups, jump rope?"

None of it's original recommendations can be found in public schools today. Too busy teaching "Charlotte has two Mommies".

Other issue has been lack of Phys Ed instructors in school. Then the fact you can't make kids run and sweat. Every female from Middle School age on has the cop out "I can't, I'm on my period".

Can't make kids shower and return to class in the US. Then you'd have the gender thing. How many high school aged boys would "identify" as female to go shower with the girls?

Mom and Dad in suburbia chauffeur kids to and from school and all other activities. No more of this ride your bike to school. Here, kids would be road kill.

Sad.

Steak Umms.

Dang, do they still make them things? French Roll, melted cheese and sauteed onions and peppers.

I could go for one about now!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 12 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.