Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Military draft seems unconstitutional. Just as the 2nd amendment doesn't allow exceptions neither does the 13th.

And I don't see the eagerness to draft children of politicians or "draft dodgers". Do we punish children for the perceived misdeeds of the parents as a way of punishing the parents? For all we know the children don't approve of their parents either.[/quote]

Its not "punishment", to me anyhow, its "paying what's owed". In my worldview, Freedom has its cost. But, again, its just a pipe dream, ha.

GB4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I volunteered Marine Infantry in the 70s during the height of the Cold War.

I do not hold a grudge against some 18 - 20-something who was scared shatless and took an out, whether during a hot war or a cold war. Who would really want them in their squad, anyway? Not me.

The ones I hold a grudge against are the ones who stir up shat to make money for their donors, and let kids die for them.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by slumlord
I remember all of that Presidential Fitness. It was like middle school olympics. But compulsory

That 600 yard dash was a mfker 🤣🤣

Uggggh, bad morning to have eaten that Steak Umm sammich

Steak Umms.

Dang, do they still make them things? French Roll, melted cheese and sauteed onions and peppers.

I could go for one about now!

[Linked Image from images.gawker.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hell, I dodged it. Wanted to be an Aviator and in order to do that, one needs to be an officer and to do that, you need a college degree. BTW, the Vietnam War had the least number of draftees ~ 25% whilst WWII had the most, right at 62%

source

My take on the reason for such a lower percentage of draftees during the Vietnam War versus WWII is many more had the choice to enlist voluntarily for just a 1 year longer commitment and getting trained and assigned to field they qualified in and serving stateside, Europe, etc., rather than being drafted and sent to a combat unit in Vietnam.

As always, though, ... YMMV

The statistic specifically refers to draftees who fought in Vietnam. Just another myth we drafted to send over there when that was not the case. Same as the myth most of the men over there were minorities, when in fact, it was quite the opposite

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in '68 (right after Tet) I had four older HS friends who got in trouble. They were caught stealing batteries off construction equipment to sell for beer money. Next day they went before the County Judge ( Liberty co. CT House) and they had a choice....either the work farm Prison out at SugarLand (sort of SW of Houston) or the Marine Corp. All four went to Nam and all four served in combat and very well. Two Bronze Stars and one Silver Star, which is tough to get in the MC! They were getting out right when I was going in (but I went Army) I won't say they adjusted well to civilian life, but they did adjust w/o going to prison for anything, ha. There were alot of guys like that back then, at least where I came from.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/12/22.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Back in '68 (right after Tet) I had four older HS friends who got in trouble. They were caught stealing batteries off construction equipment to sell for beer money. Next day they went before the County Judge ( Liberty co. CT House) and they had a choice....either the work farm Prison out at SugarLand (sort of SW of Houston) or the Marine Corp. All four went to Nam and all four served in combat and very well. Two Bronze Stars and one Silver Star, which is tough to get in the MC! They were getting out right when I was going in (but I went Army) I won't say they adjusted well to civilian life, but they did adjust w/o going to prison for anything, ha. There were alot of guys like that back then, at least where I came from.

Had a group of about a half-dozen serious 'street thugs' in basic training from the same neighborhood in Detroit who were offered and took the same deal. One of them intentionally jabbed another trainee in the eye during bayonet practice and even though the bayonet had the scabbard on it it still damn near put his eye out. Even the training cadre didn't like messing with them. They stayed in trouble and several wound up getting recycled.

Best friend when I lived in Chicago got into some trouble with the law and was offered the deal by a judge and took it, too. He was wounded in Vietnam and after he got out he went to work as a fireman. He retired from CFD a few years ago, sold out his Chicago interests and bought a nice place in Florida.

Also, the minimum mental evaluation and passing test scores were lowered substantially. We had one guy (drafted) in basic training who never should have even been considered for military service because as a kid he had accidentally shot and killed his little brother. He went AWOL every chance he got, in and out of the stockade several times and eventually got a Undesirable Discharge after almost a year.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,903
Posts18,479,360
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.