Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Geno67
I'm glad you don't ride with traffic - I'm sad the walking idiots are trying to injure you. You need a really loud horn. Give 'em a little beep, if no response, lay down on it and spook the piss out of them. Just be ready to calmly explain why you had to do so if you speak to them. If calmly doesn't work - be prepared to defend yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornit-dB140...&hvtargid=pla-1504825790608&th=1

Reading the reviews on that horn are entertaining as hell.

Thanks Geno, "World's loudest bicycle horn," LOL, I've gotta get me one of those. And no worries on defending myself, CCW and all that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Question then. 3-5 riders already in an intersection I'll stay stopped let'em roll its 5 folks no problem.10-50? I'll just ease out foot off brake no gas just a "hey the lights changed might want to stop before you become a stastic." No aggression on my part just nice easy roll. 89.5% will stop them others wont....until those 302 cubic inches and 4495 lbs gently but firmly explain that no matter how loud you cuss me and say bad things about my mother them laws of physics are unbreakable. So take your spandex your foul mouth and just run me over good. Hasn't happened probably never will.

I don't have patience for gangs of cyclists hogging the road either but that was not the subject of my post, pedestrians were. If you come across something like the gang of cyclists hogging the road in muffin's video and complain about them (rightly so) then don't do the same thing as a pedestrian sharing a trail with cyclists, it's pretty simple.

Anyway, I tend to have the opposite problem with drivers around here. There are lots of riders on the road and all the streets are residential with good bike lanes so drivers tend to be courteous to a fault. There are two four-way intersections with stop signs on the way to the park and if there's traffic I'll always stop even though the law here says I don't have to. The problem is, every car at the intersection wants to stop, wave me through, and give me the right of way even if it's not mine so I feel obligated to roll on through and not keep them waiting.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
For bringing out the hate, bike threads are only rivaled by Leupold threads. 😂

I saw a guy with a Leupold mounted on his handlebars believe it or not.

He kept running off the road into the ditch.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
goodam bicyclists are fugking everything up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

By my count there are at least 4 lane-splitters in that pic..............

By your count, how many bicycles are creating traffic problems in that jam? Of the thousands of daily traffic jams in this country, how many do you think are caused by cyclists?

I know that perspective is irritating to your cause, but it is important.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Those azzholes should have been in single file at a following interval of two seconds.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've put on 20,000+ miles on a mountain bikes over at least the last 10 years. Mostly commuting to and from work partly on roads, partly on bike paths and partly on trails. Trail riding whenever I can. I have the most encounters with people in cars hurrying to get into a coffee shop on my route. They are so focused on getting in that huge line to buy a $5 coffee that nothing else matters.
Here's my latest ride. Picked it up 2 weeks ago and have 200+ miles on it already. Have paid less for motorcycles and even a few cars/trucks.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
I just got a new bike a month ago and it's been great to get back into bike riding. I'm not what you'd call a cyclist, don't own any spandex, and don't like to ride on the road with traffic. It's just great exercise, easy on the old knees, and more fun than most other forms of exercise. I read the cycling threads on here, and the way they usually go is a bunch of posters telling the cyclists they're idiots for riding on the road with vehicles, don't understand the laws of physics, and so on and so forth. Which I kind of agree with to a point and that's why I don't like riding on the road. You never know what a driver is going to do or even if they see you. All it takes is one driver looking at their cell phone and a cyclist is toast.

So I ride in a local state park, off road on their paved trails. The trails are concrete and 8 or 9 feet wide, wide enough to comfortably pass other riders and walkers as long as everyone understands they need to leave enough room on the left to pass. Riders understand this but walkers don't. I've had people walking toward me three abreast, looking right at me and just stand there blocking the trail. Or walking the same way I'm riding, walking down the middle of the trail with earbuds so they can't hear anything behind them. Or the woman today, walking down the center of the trail with her back to me yakking on her phone, not hearing me as I ride up behind her saying "passing on your left" until I'm actually passing on her left and she pivots to the left right in front of me so I had to lock up both wheels and skid off the trail.

What is it with these lame brains? The traffic on the trails is about 75% cyclists and 25 % walkers, you'd think after about the 30th cyclist passed them a light would go on and they'd say to themselves, "there's a lot of bikers out here, I need to pay attention so I don't get run over." You know, the laws of physics and all that.

And the thing is, every single one of these idiots drove an automobile to the park.

Those are the exact same mindless idiots that drive in the passing lane, and refuse to get out of the way.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Now imagine if you will the frustration level of a guy and a semi moving heavy wide excavation equipment get behind something like that. Or possibly worse on like a farm tractor pulling a wide implement in the stupid bastards are too damn dumb to get out of the way. If they can outrun you great get on down the f****** road if not get the hell out of the way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Before I read your last line, I had already crafted it as a response in my mind.

We have some very good bike/pedestrian infrastructure in our area and I use it for about 90% of my miles. Most of the miles I rack up not using it are used to get to it. In some places like City Park and Audubon Park the pedestrians are miraculously disengaged. Even on a well marked path like this one, pedestrians will amble about wherever they want. The ones that walk in the bike only lane ALWAYS do it in the direction of bike traffic so that they have no idea you are coming up behind them. NOBODY knows what the center markings mean, and to think those people drive cars. I don't get in any kind of hurry on this path. It's shaded, so it makes for a nice diversion, as do the yoga pants.

Signs, signs, everywhere a sign"

Even painted on the path now.

Sheesh.

y'all bicyclists need a bell, like we used to use on the concrete "boardwalk" at the beaches in SoCal. 6 pack of beer in the water bottle holders and backpack and such.

RING RING RING comin' through.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Before I read your last line, I had already crafted it as a response in my mind.

We have some very good bike/pedestrian infrastructure in our area and I use it for about 90% of my miles. Most of the miles I rack up not using it are used to get to it. In some places like City Park and Audubon Park the pedestrians are miraculously disengaged. Even on a well marked path like this one, pedestrians will amble about wherever they want. The ones that walk in the bike only lane ALWAYS do it in the direction of bike traffic so that they have no idea you are coming up behind them. NOBODY knows what the center markings mean, and to think those people drive cars. I don't get in any kind of hurry on this path. It's shaded, so it makes for a nice diversion, as do the yoga pants.

Sheesh.

y'all bicyclists need a bell, like we used to use on the concrete "boardwalk" at the beaches in SoCal. 6 pack of beer in the water bottle holders and backpack and such.

I just go around without a fuss most of the time.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Sheesh.

I just go around without a fuss most of the time.

No sneaking up on the ones with earbuds, or old deaf ladies, then yelling HEY!! ???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Few things in this world are as annoying as a fûcking pedal biker, UNLESS ITS A CUTE CHICK BREAKING THE LAW AND PEDDLING PUZZY
FIXT

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Or the woman today, walking down the center of the trail with her back to me yakking on her phone, not hearing me as I ride up behind her saying "passing on your left" until I'm actually passing on her left and she pivots to the left right in front of me so I had to lock up both wheels and skid off the trail.

I passed the same woman on the trail yesterday. She gave me the stink eye but I noticed she was walking over on the right side and giving riders plenty of room to pass. Good on her.

I noticed a couple questions come up about riders and I'd like to shed some light on those for those who don't ride. The first one was "why don't cyclists ride as far to the right as possible?" The answer is twofold, potholes and debris on the shoulder. Potholes in the driving lane get fixed pretty quick, on the shoulder not so much. Then there's the debris on the road--gravel, nuts, bolts, nails, broken hose clamps, you name it. Debris in the driving lane gets kicked off to the shoulder. If you ride on the white line there's no debris because vehicles keep it clear. But get a few feet off to the right and you've got all kinds of schit that will puncture a bike tire. I've had two flats in the last two weeks.

The second question or comment rather was about bikers on trails riding fast and "pretending they're Lance Armstrong." Personally my top speed is around 23 mph so there are no time trials in my future. But I guess the question is, "why do you have to ride fast?" My answer is, if I give pedestrians the right of way and avoid hitting them (I do) why do you care how fast I ride? Also, the reason I ride is to get a workout. You can't get a workout on a bike unless you push yourself and if you push yourself you'll be moving at a good clip. The thing is, if others using the trail exercise just a modicum of courtesy, riding fast is never a problem. Last, there's these things called "hills." If you're riding downhill two things will happen in short order: 1) You'll get to the bottom of the hill; and 2) you'll start back uphill. I tell ya, it didn't take me long to figure out the faster you're going when you start up a hill the easier it is to get to the top. So yes, when I'm going downhill I take full advantage of the physics.

Last, I'll make a comment about a group of trail users that needs to clean up its act---dog walkers. You're in the middle of a thousand acre park with wide open spaces all around and you not only let your dog schit on a paved trail, but you leave it lay there?

And every single one of 'em drove a vehicle to the park.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Or the woman today, walking down the center of the trail with her back to me yakking on her phone, not hearing me as I ride up behind her saying "passing on your left" until I'm actually passing on her left and she pivots to the left right in front of me so I had to lock up both wheels and skid off the trail.

I passed the same woman on the trail yesterday. She gave me the stink eye but I noticed she was walking over on the right side and giving riders plenty of room to pass. Good on her.

I noticed a couple questions come up about riders and I'd like to shed some light on those for those who don't ride. The first one was "why don't cyclists ride as far to the right as possible?" The answer is twofold, potholes and debris on the shoulder. Potholes in the driving lane get fixed pretty quick, on the shoulder not so much. Then there's the debris on the road--gravel, nuts, bolts, nails, broken hose clamps, you name it. Debris in the driving lane gets kicked off to the shoulder. If you ride on the white line there's no debris because vehicles keep it clear. But get a few feet off to the right and you've got all kinds of schit that will puncture a bike tire. I've had two flats in the last two weeks.

The second question or comment rather was about bikers on trails riding fast and "pretending they're Lance Armstrong." Personally my top speed is around 23 mph so there are no time trials in my future. But I guess the question is, "why do you have to ride fast?" My answer is, if I give pedestrians the right of way and avoid hitting them (I do) why do you care how fast I ride? Also, the reason I ride is to get a workout. You can't get a workout on a bike unless you push yourself and if you push yourself you'll be moving at a good clip. If I wanted to lollygag along at 5 mph I'd get an ebike and be done with it. The thing is, if others using the trail exercise a modicum of courtesy, riding fast is never a problem. Last, there's these things called "hills." If you're riding downhill two things will happen in short order: 1) You'll get to the bottom of the hill; and 2) you'll start back uphill. I tell ya, it didn't take me long to figure out the faster you're going when you start up a hill the easier it is to get to the top. So yes, when I'm going downhill I take full advantage of the physics.

Last, I'll make a comment about a group of trail users that needs to clean up its act---dog walkers. You're in the middle of a thousand acre park with wide open spaces all around and you not only let your dog schit on a paved trail, but you leave it lay there?

And every single one of 'em drove a vehicle to the park.

So I guess the point of all this is: vehicle drivers, your schit does in fact stink.

More on why riders don't hug the right on the road. VISIBILITY. That's the primary reason. The overwhelming majority of the time a car crashes into a cyclist in an at-fault accident the driver says "I didn't see them." Studies have been done, and my own experience bears this out. You draw much more attention and are much more likely to be seen out in the travel lane. You are also much more like to be processed and treated as traffic when you behave as traffic.

By hugging the right, you invite a squeeze pass. I honestly don't mind letting someone squeeze by when I know that they have seen me and they have backed off the throttle a bit.

My tactic is to put myself out in the lane. If someone approaches from the rear, and I am confident they see me, and it is safe for them to pass, I move over.

I have said this often on these pages. Unfortunately the protective measures cyclists use to enhance their visibility (riding in the lane and riding with others) are often points of consternation with motorists.

For reasonable motorists, all of this makes sense. For those that feel like they are so important that they should never have to let off the gas or move over, no amount of reasoning will sway them. To me, it's a dance of give and take, and when motorists and bicyclists are cooperative in that dance it works beautifully.

I'll offer something for your consideration about passing speed. When I pass pedestrians or other cyclists from behind I slow to pass with minimal disparity. I cannot tell you how many times I have had pedestrians loop a 180 without looking or cyclists drift over unwittingly. On crowded paths, this can be a PITA, but it's the right thing to do.

Dog walkers with 20 foot leashes warrant tremendous caution. I pass with minimal speed disparity.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, I always slow down when I'm passing someone, especially old folks and little kids. If I hadn't done that with the woman who pivoted right in front of me I'd have mowed her down or run off the trail and crashed.

And also make noise so they hear me. The bell is kind of gay (no disrespect Paul) but it works. grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yep, I always slow down when I'm passing someone, especially old folks and little kids. If I hadn't done that with the woman who pivoted right in front of me I'd have mowed her down or run off the trail and crashed.

And also make noise so they hear me. The bell is kind of gay (no disrespect Paul) but it works. grin

I always speak. "I am easing around your left." Then I always bid them a good day or exchange some other cordiality. I often say something nice to the doggies. Kids on bikes get complemented on their cool bikes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A bell works pretty good for us on shared use trails, and in the woods.

Watching people jump out of their skin when you ring it is pretty fun, also works for slower riders to get over.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I always speak. "I am easing around your left." Then I always bid them a good day or exchange some other cordiality. I often say something nice to the doggies. Kids on bikes get complemented on their cool bikes.

Good advice. If they don't move to the side to let you pass, do you apply the cycling version of rolling coal?

You know, crop dusting?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Good advice. If they don't move to the side to let you pass, do you apply the cycling version of rolling coal?

You know, crop dusting?

It is with great trepidation that I fart in bicycling shorts. They change pressure points, and I am afraid it will affect the check-valve that keeps farts dry. Last thing I want to do is rear back good and schidt myself to get back at someone.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Last thing I want to do is rear back good and schidt myself to get back at someone.

Yep, the classic backfire, no way of hiding it in spandex shorts.

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (257wthbylover, 22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 270cowboy, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,305
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.