Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Which did you grow up with, and when? What do you use now?

I started shooting pistols in the mid 80’s with the Weaver and have never tried to change. I’m about to start setting up a basic steel-target pistol range behind the house and it got me to thinking about fundamentals.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Weaver

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the day, it was a Starsky and Hutch Isosceles. Now I prefer a modified isosceles. Arms not quite fully extended, elbows slightly bent. I’m in more of an upright position, instead of being all combat forward. It’s a more relaxed shooting position.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I find Weaver works better when your hand and eye dominance don't align, but that's just me. There is no wrong answer, do what works for you.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I’ve tried both and seem to shoot best Isosceles slightly crouches and pushing toward the target. Seems to make me more stable and accurate.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
A modified Weaver! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by memtb
A modified Weaver! memtb

This.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JPro
Which did you grow up with, and when? What do you use now?

I started shooting pistols in the mid 80’s with the Weaver and have never tried to change. I’m about to start setting up a basic steel-target pistol range behind the house and it got me to thinking about fundamentals.
I started in 1980 with the Weaver, but about twenty years ago I transitioned to the isosceles.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Go with what competitive shooters who win the competitions use. All sports competitions are the crucible that, over time, forms the "best" whatever.

RS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chapman.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been using this guys approach for handgun shooting.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Weaver, more or less...... and my thumbs are down. wink

Isosceles just doesn't work for me, it ain't natural.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Go with what competitive shooters who win the competitions use. All sports competitions are the crucible that, over time, forms the "best" whatever.

RS

Fair point there.

That Ronin video is interesting as well.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stand straight upright, chin parallel to the ground. Just like a normal standing person. Then clap your hands together in front of you, like your trying to catch a bug. Both arms are slightly bent and not hyper extended. They're both evenly extended. Then put a gun in them. Then, without moving your head or scrunching anything up in your neck or shoulders, just lift the gun up until you're looking at the sights.

I hold the gun with my hands and wrists. Everything else (biceps, shoulders, back) are relaxed except for the tension needed to suspend the weight of the pistol in front of me.

Stance (foot position and any slight lean) are dictated by how you might need to fight or move. They have nothing to do with the very minor recoil of a handgun.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nailed it ☝🏽

🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Both....

Strong weaver when maximizing the use of cover/corners, isosceles when a long shot is called for and/or a blended transition of isosceweaverles otherwise, depending on the angles, environment and movement through rooms/doorways.

Last edited by Stump Buster; 08/12/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I stand straight upright, chin parallel to the ground. Just like a normal standing person. Then clap your hands together in front of you, like your trying to catch a bug. Both arms are slightly bent and not hyper extended. They're both evenly extended. Then put a gun in them. Then, without moving your head or scrunching anything up in your neck or shoulders, just lift the gun up until you're looking at the sights.

I hold the gun with my hands and wrists. Everything else (biceps, shoulders, back) are relaxed except for the tension needed to suspend the weight of the pistol in front of me.

Stance (foot position and any slight lean) are dictated by how you might need to fight or move. They have nothing to do with the very minor recoil of a handgun.

Where I am too.

When I was in the Navy, this topic cane up with some Gunner's Mates and I. Their feeling was the Weaver exposed your sides to much where body armor tended not to be the best. (Under armpits to waist- no plates)

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grew up on both, had plenty of training in both. Most LEO training usually preaches Isosceles because of maximizing your vest protection. I’ve always struggled with that idea, believing more towards Weaver to minimize available target area. Basically, I use a “Modified Weaver” which I’m much more comfortable in. Just my opinion, but to me it utilizes the best attributes of both. Once you leave the comfort of the range, and find yourself in a bad spot, situation and available cover may dictate what works better more than anything else.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Where I am too.

When I was in the Navy, this topic cane up with some Gunner's Mates and I. Their feeling was the Weaver exposed your sides to much where body armor tended not to be the best. (Under armpits to waist- no plates)

Teal, this isn't to criticize you but the rumor of "blading" attached to Weaver. I only say this because I took the API 250 course way back in 19 hundred and 90 at the peak of Coopers' school (before he sold it to Rich Gee) and the years he and his instructors spent teaching the Weaver grip. There was no "blading" or turning of the torso sideways exposing your onside ribs that was taught as far as my experience goes.

We started out pretty much as Blue described,.. up right stance, feet squared up to the target with maybe opposite side foot one toe length ahead of shooting side foot...no awkward turning of the torso. Only difference was the push pull of hands(support arm bent more downward, engaging hand pulling against firing hand pushing with arm straight) on firearm to counter muzzle rise under recoil, the mainstay of the Weaver grip.

The whole blading thing as far as I can tell came about from people looking at the cover of Coopers' book "To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth", depicting him on a Javelina hunt standing sideways during a shot and assuming this was Weaver and ran with it, taking the visual out of context. Then the internet came about and the rest is history.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I kind of use both stances, it just depends. Mostly Weaver I guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (1badf350, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.