Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
What about this?: My 223 is twisted on the faster side and it shoots heavier, longer bullets great. It also shoots 40 grain Ballistic Tips great.
My 1-8 .223 loves 50gr vmax. And 75gr Amax.

GB1

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by rickt300
"*the chamber is now 100% CNC machined" I doubt this, chambers are going to be reamed not shaped with a boring bar.
*the recoil lug is now made parallel to .0002ā€ I also doubt this, be tough to measure.

Hi, rickt300. No worries.

As Mathman mentioned, machining in this case refers to machine tools to cut shapes/sizes.

Regarding measurement of the recoil lug. There are other ways to measure besides perhaps a cheap plunge type dial indicator or vernier tools you may or may not have used in a high school shop class or work. Just to name a few: Indicator graduations can range from .001 to .00005. Gage blocks for part inspection can have tolerances to .000001. Micrometers can read to .0001. Iā€™m not saying a basic square would be the right tool, but even some 6ā€ solid squares are perpendicular to within .0001.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jackmountain
What about this?: My 223 is twisted on the faster side and it shoots heavier, longer bullets great. It also shoots 40 grain Ballistic Tips great.

Does it work well switching from one to the other throughout the year or from season to season?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gunzo

Does it work well switching from one to the other throughout the year or from season to season?

I'm not sure I understand the question. With the right scope on the rifle it can work switching between groups in one range session.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gunzo

My 8 twist Tikka 22/250 shoots 40 to 80 grain bullets with great consistency and accuracy, quality barrels and neat chambers tend to do that

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like a lot of worthwhile changes

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Glad to see that they are doing the following changes:

CNC machining , I had a 700 with a crooked chamber (700 CDL SF).

They don't have to reinvent the wheel, just QC the rifles and don't let them out the door if they fail.

I would contract with Triggertech and replace their triggers.

For those that want faster twist rates screw on a custom barrel.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Lou_270

NIce

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

This looks surprisingly nice and well thought out. I didn't see a cost. The challenge with cost is that they are now competing with the likes of Bighorn Origins in the action space. If costs are held to a considerate level, this could be a hit.

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Why would anyone buy a 700 when Tikkas are so far superior in every way ?

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rickt300
"*
*the recoil lug is now made parallel to .0002ā€ I also doubt this, be tough to measure.

I measure stuff like that every day, but I doubt they are doing it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UpThePole

Because they aren't. I have both, and while the Tikka is a nice rifle, accurate to boot, it has a bunch of plastic that the 700's do not have, is not nearly as popular, and given a choice between the two, I'll take a 700 every time.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Because they aren't. I have both, and while the Tikka is a nice rifle, accurate to boot, it has a bunch of plastic that the 700's do not have, is not nearly as popular, and given a choice between the two, I'll take a 700 every time.

+1 . The tikka shoots straight because it is machined very well, I will take the 700 design over it any day of the week if it is machined and manufactured to specs.. IE tight tolerances. There are thousands of aftermarket accessories made for the 700 and what custom action is is a copy of a Tikka?

I have owned/own Tikkas. They only advantage it has is precise workmanship, good barrel and trigger.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by tylerw02
Remington (RemArms) needs to focus on things people want out of a 700. If I were in charge, here is what I would do:

-Ensure and verify ever bolt is timed properly before it leaves the factory.

-Ensure every recoil lug is parallel and start pinning them to the receiver to ensure proper alignment.

-Improve timing of factory threads and ensure machining would allow pre-fit barrels.

-Begin making premium finishes, perhaps nitride, were standard.

-Work out a deal to ensure every 700 comes with a Trigger Tech trigger out of the box.

-Improve all twist rates and throats to ensure modern, premium bullets were optimized. For example, twist .243 Winchesters to 1:8" and throat them for something more like a 103 gr ELD-X rather than an 80 gr Core-Lokt.

-Incorporate quality stocks on base models that won't flex and will free-float the barrel, even under a load.

-Offer semi-custom rifles; optional carbon fiber stocks, carbon fiber barrels, cerakote, bolt fluting, etc. for a premium.

When people want cheap rifles, they buy Axis, American, TCs, etc. When people want good quality rifles, they spend more. If the quality of a Tikka T3x, Browning X-Bolt, or Bergara can't be met for a similar price, the 700 is doomed.
Plenty of custom rifles out there for what it would cost to build one of these.

Tikka, Browning or Bergara don't have what most would consider a quality stock that won't "flex". Have owned em.

As far as twist goes 90% of the crowd that doesn't follow the trend on the net is perfectly happy with original twists that most chamberings came with.

Throat something in a 243 for a 103 and it may not be worth a ph.uuuck for a 55-70 grain bullet.

It wouldn't cost anything to do things like properly timing, changing chambers and twists, etc. And yes, a .243 that shoots 103s can and will shoot 55-70s fine. Its extremely rare to create a twist that will over-spin lighter bullets except in rare circumstances. Meanwhile, other companies are doing this...despite your notion people are happy with old-school.

Look at a Browning stock, their cheap synthetics, it doesn't flex into the barrel under load. Remington USED to sell a lot of rifles with H-S and B&C stocks.

Things like timing don't cost anymore, and hell, they used to come that way.

Their other option is to just fade into oblivion because the budget 700s can't keep the 700 afloat and nobody seems to want them.

I also left off a lot of things I would want to see; 8-40 base screws, side bolt release, Sako-style extractors, one-piece bolt, more secure attachment of the bolt handle, etc.

Last edited by tylerw02; 08/13/22.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

Want

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
My primary concern is; Did they fix the bolt extraction timing issue? If not, it's a no-go for me.

Do they offer a faster twist in the .22's and the .243? Given the popularity of heavier bullets and monos where lead is verboten, for those I think it would be wise to go to a faster twist.

I could see a 1:9" twist for a .22-250, allowing the 50gr family as well as up to the 80's to be functional.

My Ruger Predator in .243 shoots 55's through the 107's just fine with its 1:8" twist.

Just my $0.02

Ed

Ed is correct, the primary extraction is non existant on the new RR receivers. The 5R is a marketing thing. Frank Green, Bartlein, has stated such on the net. If people want it, you make it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by JamesJr

+1 . The tikka shoots straight because it is machined very well, I will take the 700 design over it any day of the week if it is machined and manufactured to specs.. IE tight tolerances. There are thousands of aftermarket accessories made for the 700 and what custom action is is a copy of a Tikka?

I have owned/own Tikkas. They only advantage it has is precise workmanship, good barrel and trigger.

The Tikka bolt is far smoother, and I do prefer the shorter throw to keep my hand clear of the scope ocular, but prefer Remingtons overall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only owned 2 Tikkas, a 223 compact, and a 308 that I currently have. I'd have probably kept the 223, but a great-nephew borrowed it to deer hunt with, and didn't want to give it back, so now he owns it, and has killed several deer with it. The 308 is a very accurate rifle, is stainless, which I really like, and is one I'll probably keep for the foreseeable future. But, they just don't have the appeal to me that a 700 does.

Having said that, I really don't care what brand of a rifle a person likes, or for that matter, dislikes. It's their business what they spend their money on, and no one else's. What I don't like is when I people saying that a certain brand is junk.........when they've never owned that brand. I've owned a slew of 700's and Model 7's. I had the bolt handle come of of one, and had a trigger become faulty on another one. Needless to say, I wasn't very pleased with that. But......I've never owned a 700 that was not a good shooting rifle, shooting as good if not better than any other brand I've owned. It was a sad thing that the company that owned Remington let the quality slip so bad the last years that they owned them, and it turned a lot of people off from buying their product. Hopefully the new company will have the quality control as their number one goal, and turn out a firearm as good and reliable as was once the case.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I started out with a Remington 700 as a young teenager. Years later, I find that no other rifle has that feel in my hands like a 700. Others have a smoother feeding bolt, better trigger, etc. However, the 700 just feels right. The one 700 I have work done to, it is a smoother or smoother than some of the custom actions out there. A lot of that is based on fixing the primary extraction and truing up receiver face, raceway, lugs, etc.

That first 700 in .30-06 is also my most inaccurate bolt gun. It hovers in the 1.5MOA range. I believe this due to the front of the bolt lug making contact with counter-bore area of the barrel. I can't bring myself to have it worked on.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (12344mag, 219DW, 1lesfox, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,617
Posts18,473,974
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.