Hop To
#17508 06/26/01
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I am trying to decdie if I want a GWP or a GSP. I had a GSP before and he was a great dog, but that was back in Texas and it was a lot warmer there. I wonder if the GSP can handle the waterfowl hunting here in Colorado or should I go with the GWP's because of the heavier coat. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
GB1

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I don't suggest this, and I don't want to get in the middle, because lots of guys out there will claim to be the experts, but my GWP is not only weather resistant, but water crazy! Granted these are traits that can vary from dog to dog and not just species, but my girl willswim in an aereator hole in the ice covering my lake......In February! Like I say, I don't recommend this and I try to stop her, but she has done this many times before. During Ice-out, she will swim in the shallows by shore, dreaming of long, long retrieves. Her entry into the water is bold and strong, flies off of the dock 8-10 feet, she usually follows a mark like a dream, and the dummy launcher has yet to put one out of her range. Mine looks more like a pudlepointer than a GWP, with an open, wooly coat and huge feet. I've seen GWP's that look like a GSP with a beard. I've also seen GSP's with great water attributes, but this dog of mine, and several other GWP's I've seen, will rival labs in the swim department. On upland, she hunts close, but I like that as she is trailed by a Springer and I. Darn cute also..........

To young to be this curmudgeonly.......
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Pumpgun,I would lean to the gwp.In my experience the wirehairs do take the cold better.I have 2 and there are 8 more between my dad and brothers.Two of my hunting partners have gsp's,both very good gun dogs until the November snow flies and the temp drops below zero.Like Irvingdog said the gwp coats vary from short like a gsp to heavy,some almost wool like,my brother has one like that.It is the coat from hell,after a day in the feild it takes a good part of the evening to clean out the burrs and stickers.He now keeps it clipped for the hunting season.<P>My 2 wirehairs have long wavy coats with a dense undercoat.I hand strip them in the spring and by the fall their coats are in prime condition for the cooler weather.Their coats shed water like a duck.I too can't keep them out of water,if there is a stock tank or slough in the area they're in it.

C
C
I would go with the GWP if water retrieves in CO are most adaptable. I can recommend two wirehair kennels Flintlock's Kennels in Spokane, WA. Jeff Funke in Nampa, ID. I understand Bob Farris in Boise, ID has some great pudelpointers too.

G
G
Pumpgun: Since you owned a Shorthair in Texas and say he was a great dog, then you certainly should still consider another one. I live in Texas and own 4 GSPs. The dogs I have are from 3 very different lines. Each is outstanding on quail and pheasants, but hits the water like a fiend. I have hunted two of them in bitter cold in NW Kansas and used them for ducks in Arkansas. There are probably more Shorthairs in Wisconsin, Illinios, Minnesota, and other northern states than anywhere in the US. Many of these dogs are used as duck dogs. GSPs and GWPs are the only two pointing dogs with webbed feet, I am told. That tells you something right there!!<P>I have seen some nice trial bred GWPs, but I have not seen one that could cover the ground as well as a good Shorthair. NOT TO SAY THEY AREN'T OUT THERE!!<P>As far as personality, I think it is very hard to beat a Shorthair.<P>BUT, it comes down to what you like better. Go on what you think. YOU have to like the dog. Only you have to feed the dog you choose, so choose wisely.<P>If you buy breeding from a reputable breeder I don't think you will go too wrong with either dog!!

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pumpgun,<P>I live and hunt in Nebraska. I have Pudelpointers. (Looks like a dark brown Wirehair). greifdogs said it, GSP's are a dime a dozen in the northern states. Some of which are used in duck hunting as well.<P>Many of these dogs are outstanding water retrievers. But no one would say they can take the icy cold water that is common to late season duck hunting like a dog with a coat that is better suited to ice water.<P>If you plan to hunt ducks late into the season on a regular basis, when the lakes and ponds are frozen, I would suggest a GWP, Pudelpointer, Griffon, Lab, Golden, etc. But, if late season duck hunting is not a regular part of your hunting plans I think you would be just as happy with a GSP.<P>Are you familiar with NAVHDA? (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association) (www.navhda.org) I highly recomend obtaining a GSP or GWP from NAVHDA tested parents. You can review the pups ancestors hunting test scores to see their strengths and weaknesses in the field. <P>For example, a NAVHDA hunt test consists of both field and water work. Depending on the level of the test, there can be blind retrieves in a marsh, search for duck in the marsh, and field work where the dog is evaluated in several ways.<P>Nose, co-operation, retrieving, pointing, (in higher level test's - steady to wing, shot & fall), and tracking are all judged. It is not a competition against another dog, it is a test against the test itself.<P>I highly recomend a visit to their website. <A HREF="http://www.navhda.org" TARGET=_blank>www.navhda.org</A> <P>Good luck at whichever breed you decide on.<P>Mark.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,823
Posts18,477,875
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.