Page 1 of 2 1 2
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here’s a WTF happened puzzler for ya:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

No barrel obstruction and no known injuries. The shooter claimed a three round .22MAG “chain fire.” Said he “never seen nothin’ like it in 35 years of shootin’.” Don’t necessarily assume that the cartridges were loaded into the cylinder chambers in the order they appear, because that is not known. Does this get your sleuthing juices flowing? What’s your take, and why?

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm no gunsmith and sure ain't a gun writer but I'll give it a guess. For some reason the middle cartridge blew the back of the case clean off and escaping gas somehow triggers he other two cases. Possibly the crumpling of the other two rounds force a detonation of sorts thus firing the two rounds. Like I said, I'm no gunsmith but I suspect it was the middle cartridge that set off the chain reaction.. Probably happened so fast it sounded like one very loud shot. Anyway, that's my best guess.

I once had a .22 single shot rifle, a Colt Colteer that had a headspace problem. It blew a hole in the rim every time. The rim would have a hole running from 30 to 80 percent of the rim.

PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I'm no gunsmith and sure ain't a gun writer but I'll give it a guess. For some reason the middle cartridge blew the back of the case clean off and escaping gas somehow triggers he other two cases. Possibly the crumpling of the other two rounds force a detonation of sorts thus firing the two rounds. Like I said, I'm no gunsmith but I suspect it was the middle cartridge that set off the chain reaction.. Probably happened so fast it sounded like one very loud shot. Anyway, that's my best guess.

I once had a .22 single shot rifle, a Colt Colteer that had a headspace problem. It blew a hole in the rim every time. The rim would have a hole running from 30 to 80 percent of the rim.

PJ

I would agree with this

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a scenario: the rim blows out (had this happen with .22 LR before), the shock of the gas flow causes priming in the two adjacent cartridges to detonate, and the bullets cannot escape the chamber mouths so the gas reverses course and crumples those cases. Just a WAG here.

Surprising there's no visible damage to the revolver in the photos.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Headspace
Hmmm

Since the 1920s or 30s, I thought all rimfire revolvers have recessed charge holes to mitigate chain fire or injury to the shooter in the event of a ruptured casehead, which is common with rimfires. Looking at the charge holes, they appear to countersunk, but sections of chamber wall are conspicuously missing. Wouldn’t this allow the escaping gas from a ruptured cartridge to make it way to the adjacent cartridges, causing a chain fire? Has anyone here seen a rimfire revolver with chambers that aren’t completely recessed 360 degrees? Hmmm

NRA Benefactor member
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Who makes an 8 shot .22 Mag revolver? Or is that some sort of custom gun?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Dr_Lou; 08/14/22.

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Who makes an 8 shot .22 Mag revolver? Or is that some sort of custom gun?
Smith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cylinder latch button looks like Charter Arms to me.

edit: now I'm not sure at all. The flat frame makes me think H&R, but I'm not sure they ever offered anything with that type of cylinder release button. Hell...I dunno!

Last edited by RiverRider; 08/14/22.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The middle case fired and ruptured, the left case (already fired) had gas blown through the gap that collapsed it, the right case was gassed, fired but could not release and then ruptured, all of this happening in bazillionths of a second. The middle case might have still been releasing gas as the bullet went down the bore and that's why the right case is full diameter about where the bullet probably remains but shows partial gas crushing from outside after its own energy was spent. To me, the most excitement is in the right case, clearly most pressure and "trauma" because the bullet stayed stuck.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I've had case failures with 22LR. Not really surprised to see the resulting carnage. The ratchet is unclear on my screen. If it's undamaged, the gun appears to have withstood severe catastrophe.

The analysis listed here sounds plausible to me.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Look at those little dents at various spots around the rear face of the cylinder:

Do they mean anything?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Look at those little dents at various spots around the rear face of the cylinder:

Do they mean anything?

looks like a firing pin strike to me............... but then I'm no gunwriter!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Muffin

Do they mean anything?

looks like a firing pin strike to me............... but then I'm no gunwriter!
Your neighbor, DigitalDan, is a rimfire kinda guy. I’m eager to see what he has to say.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
It is firing pin strike the revolver is out of time. Obviously was not locked up correctly when the pin detonated the cartridge in the middle and as allready surmised taking out the one left and right of it. Pics tell the whole tale...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Then, there’s this:

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
… and this:

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Do they mean anything?

Yes they do. They're used to test the heat treatment of the metal of the cylinder.

My1909 Argentine Mauser custom was reheat treated even though it was of DWM manufacture. Take that rifle out of the stock and you'll see a few of those dimples. There's a couple on the bolt lugs as well.
Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 08/15/22.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Dave_Skinner nailed what transpired in the ruptures, and believe Paul B. is spot on about the spots. Looks just like the marks our hardness tester leaves at my part time job.

Just so happens, I have an 8 shot 22 Mag.

Bought this 8 Taurus wheeler back in 1993. Not a great double action pull, but single is plenty good.

As the pics show… mine is recessed completely around the back face of the cylinder, not independently for each cylinder. This little bugger has claimed several snakes, groundhogs and squirrels over the years, as well as a big hen turkey. Wear it a bunch while working on or around my woodpile. 4 shot shells, 4 hollowpoints.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Model 941 in case anyone is wondering.😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.