-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What would be a recommended factory round for deer under 100yds. I would have to check but I believe my Bushmaster is a 1:9 twist

This might be a good setup for my daughter's first deer.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RandyR
What would be a recommended factory round for deer under 100yds. I would have to check but I believe my Bushmaster is a 1:9 twist

Remington 55gr SP
Hornady 55gr SP

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

75gr Gold Dots
Speer Gold Dot

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Fusion 62 grain is generally easy to find. Expands violently, holds together, penetrates deeply and can handle bone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, the Fusion 62gr is generally on shelves here. I’d look into those. I’ve also shot factory 62tsx, but I’m not seeing them anymore. They weren’t quite as impressive on flesh from an AR carbine as they were at 3300 from a 223AI bolt gun.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
This subject has probably been beat to death on various forums, but what say the 'Fire? Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?
Let the schit-slinging begin.

Yes with the proper bullet. This is my grandson with his Pa. Mentored Youth 8 point buck taken with a T/C Contender 223 carbine using Sierra 60 gr. partition bullets.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
This subject has probably been beat to death on various forums, but what say the 'Fire? Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?

Yes with the proper bullet. This is my grandson with his Pa. Mentored Youth 8 point buck taken with a T/C Contender 223 carbine using Sierra 60 gr. partition bullets.

Um? grin

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I love these threads.
So far there have been lots of fantastical observations from the nay camp, like digging a 0.224” bullet out of a found dead animal and determining it was fired from a 223 (man I hope that guy is working forensics solving crimes somewhere!) to the “a bigger bullet would have resulted in us finding it, but it was shot perfectly! stories.

You can’t read more than any 10 threads on the fire before you read “Bullets matter more than headstamps”, and that ain’t wrong.

Bullet construction and twist rate that it is spun with matter more than anyone really contemplates for the most part, other thanthe guys who understand it know what it means, and I would bet 9/10 of those guys wouldn’t even blink about a fast twist 223 and a good bullet on a whitetail at ANY range.

I’ve killed a [bleep] of stuff (or been there spotting the hit over a shoulder) with fast and slow twist 223/223AI with bullets from 45 gr mono’s to 88 gr ELD-M.
Even the difference in terminal effects between a 75 Amax when spun at 1:9” versus 1:7” is noticeable when started at the same muzzle velocity.

We didn’t do a ton of business up here this fall with 223AI’s, but from what I saw, a 1:7 twist with an 88 ELD-m is a ridiculously underrated combination. The stuff we did kill though, was bang-flopped-dead with both shoulders crushed.

There isn’t a deer walking the planet that I would hesitate to poke an 88 through a shoulder from any angle, at any range that I would shoot a deer at, and in way up North on the East border of BC, they don’t build ‘em much bigger anywhere.

I’ll just put this here… 150 yards, oat fed bear in November. 88 ELD-m, both shoulders and an exit.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
And if anyone has killed a whitetail bigger than this with ANY cartridge, I’d be REAL surprised.

175 yards, both shoulders broken, 88 ELD-m caught under the hide on the offside.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Imgur is being a bitch today and not letting me upload the pic of the 3” hole through the ribs that was under the onside shoulder after it was lifted off.

No fuss, no muss, no drama. Shot, half turn, fell down and kicked a leg and that was it. 2 seconds between impact and dead. And I weren’t guessing on what the results were going to be before I touched off the shot.

Last edited by KodiakHntr; 12/24/22.

Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Respect.

Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
And if anyone has killed a whitetail bigger than this with ANY cartridge, I’d be REAL surprised.

175 yards, both shoulders broken, 88 ELD-m caught under the hide on the offside.

Imgur is being a bitch today and not letting me upload the pic of the 3” hole through the ribs that was under the onside shoulder after it was lifted off.

No fuss, no muss, no drama. Shot, half turn, fell down and kicked a leg and that was it. 2 seconds between impact and dead. And I weren’t guessing on what the results were going to be before I touched off the shot.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

Um? grin
You hadn't heard??🤣🤣

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love these threads.
So far there have been lots of fantastical observations from the nay camp, like digging a 0.224” bullet out of a found dead animal and determining it was fired from a 223 (man I hope that guy is working forensics solving crimes somewhere!) to the “a bigger bullet would have resulted in us finding it, but it was shot perfectly! stories.

You can’t read more than any 10 threads on the fire before you read “Bullets matter more than headstamps”, and that ain’t wrong.

Bullet construction and twist rate that it is spun with matter more than anyone really contemplates for the most part, other thanthe guys who understand it know what it means, and I would bet 9/10 of those guys wouldn’t even blink about a fast twist 223 and a good bullet on a whitetail at ANY range.

I’ve killed a [bleep] of stuff (or been there spotting the hit over a shoulder) with fast and slow twist 223/223AI with bullets from 45 gr mono’s to 88 gr ELD-M.
Even the difference in terminal effects between a 75 Amax when spun at 1:9” versus 1:7” is noticeable when started at the same muzzle velocity.

We didn’t do a ton of business up here this fall with 223AI’s, but from what I saw, a 1:7 twist with an 88 ELD-m is a ridiculously underrated combination. The stuff we did kill though, was bang-flopped-dead with both shoulders crushed.

There isn’t a deer walking the planet that I would hesitate to poke an 88 through a shoulder from any angle, at any range that I would shoot a deer at, and in way up North on the East border of BC, they don’t build ‘em much bigger anywhere.

I’ll just put this here… 150 yards, oat fed bear in November. 88 ELD-m, both shoulders and an exit.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
That’s a big whitetail.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
That’s a big whitetail.

We grow ‘em big up here. Imagine if’n he’d been a big mature 5 point…

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by skeen
I love these threads.

Lol well done

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Kodiak' nice work bud ! Keep saying I need to spin up a 1:7" for my 223AI but the 1:8" 75 Amax melding has been a literal Monster on everything it intersects with... Fortunately, I did build a 1:7" 22 Creed' 88 launcher, they don't bounce offa critters either. grin.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ridgeline, a Creed and 88’s are going to be giant killers.

I have much love for the 75 Amax 223AI Montana combo, but the Montana is absolutely getting a 1:7 this winter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At some point, I’m going to do a 1:6.5 specifically to eek all the goody out of those 88s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I' love to see Christensen Arms spit out a 1:7ish in 22 Creed in the Mesa FFT.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What an awesome picture. That young man walked tall that day.

Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.