-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been a devoted user of Quicken personal finance software since 1999. I even managed to keep the Windows version of Q2010 going on Linux by using the Wine translator. Until now. The newest version of Linux Mint no longer supports the small 32-bit add-on that Quicken requires. It was only a matter of time until 32-bit support went away, and I knew that.

My two choices were to switch from Mint to a Linux distribution that does still have 32-bit support, or search for another personal finance package. There are a number of free finance packages and I tried several, but they were either cumbersome or required double-entry accounting skills. And then I stumbled upon Moneydance. It resembles Quicken, it is simple and intuitive, and it even imports Quicken data in .qif format. Hal and Lulu!

Technically, I could still get Quicken, but the current version (after being sold to three different companies) is an online subscription service, and it is designed more for phone use than for desktop. The basic subscription is $50/year. Moneydance is resident software on my computer, and is only $50 on a one-time purchase, with free updates - and is good for up to five devices. There's a free trial version that has all features but limited entries and comes in Linux, Windows, and MAC versions.. If you use home personal finance software, take a look at MONEYDANCE

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
online subscription models are called Software as a Service or Saas

by this time next year about 75% of all software companies will be operating that way.

I have never used a home personal finance software, mainly because I don't have the discipline to enter the data to the detail it requires.

What benefit do you get from it outside of taxes?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I do monthly budgets and track all my expenses. Plus, I have income from four sources. I don't like to rely on what the bank and credit card companies tell me I received or spent. I write very few checks, but it is SO nice to have my printer do it instead of hand-written. And I never forget to enter one.

If I tracked my investments, it would be just about mandatory. I don't, but it's nice to have that option if I wanted to. It IS great at tax time.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a number of years was the Exec Dir for an international organization - Board of Directors spread all around the globe. When not traveling for them, "the office" was our home in a national forest in NM. My job was to do thinking, planning and relationship work - but also needed books kept and there was not a tax person or qualified book keeper for 120 miles.

Bit the bullet and bought/installed QuickBooks. Could not believe it at first, but found that I could do it all - billing, paying, budget building and management, balance sheets, P&L - dishing out reports with the click of a mouse and sending digital versions all over the world. Anyone could have done it.

Programs are even much more user friendly today

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They'll eventually get personal computing ironed out. Just give them more time.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad I can still get and cash a check.

The old lady writes most checks since her writing is legible.
Mostly, one per month. Every thing is played through one rewards card.
Easy rewards, some protection for our account, one stamp and check.

Kinda miss paying all the bills at the bank on payday.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just got a new computer, and I refused the subscription software of Microsoft, Adobe, and Quicken. I had originally purchased the 2017 Quicken CD instead of downloading it, so I had it on hand to get my 2017 Quicken reloaded on the new computer, it doesn't have all of its original functionality, but it does most of what I use it for. Quicken blocks all imports into the expired software, so I have to enter all my credit card bills and investments myself, but that isn't hard now that I've retired. Not nearly as many entries as there use to be. I'm going to bookmark Moneydance in case I lose my Quicken. Thanks!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how about windows 11 vm?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (308xray, 300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 34 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.