Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This topic still going on? smile

Closest: 4 inches. Longest: 690 yards plus whatever a steep down angle added to that topo map measurement. 13 yards, 125 yds., 100, 175, 30, 40, 450, etc…

There have been some excellent posts on this thread, including to be prepared for close or far. I played hide and seek with an elk 40 feet from me in a thicket on the rim of a canyon. I moved a few feet, could see across the canyon and killed an elk at 450 yards, all within a minute or two.

There are several questions going on here. It becomes a touchy subject depending on which one we answer, plus we often add a personal angle.

Question 1. How far does a person have to shoot to kill an elk? Archery hunters answer that one.

Question 2. How far away can I get and still brag that I’ve killed an elk? Ever evolving answer.

Question 3. What is the smallest/lowest powered firearm I can use and still kill an elk?

Question 4. How can anyone have a different opinion or experience than mine, and not be an idiot? laugh

Question 5. (No one asks this one but it is the most pertinent). How much do my hunting preferences, hunting style and my assumptions about hunting influence how close I am to the elk I shoot?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Largest bull elk- with a takedown 1895 Winchester in .405 at 90 yards. Same distance on largest bull moose-95 yards with
a Model 71 in 348 Ackley Imp-270 gr 348 bullet.

Not much mentioned about the guide and hunter mauled by grizzly and 2-yr old cub that took over a bull
elk arrowed the afternoon before, outside Yellowstone Park 3 years ago. Guide killed by the bear.
The widow probably would agree that a .405 would not have been too much gun as a backup rifle.
Carry a rifle as Bob Hagel states: to use that's big enough when everything goes wrong.

Use Enough Gun-Ruark

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by MOW
But what if you stalk thru the black timber all morning looking for gleaming eyeballs, then come to the edge of enormous canyon, and all your elk are now on the opposite slope 600 yards distant? Then what?
Remember that a bloodspot is very hard to find after crossing a large canyon to start tracking your wounded elk.
Even if the Elk falls right there, it will be tough to find if your alone.

Tangent, but an important one. A compass can pinpoint a spot or blood trail across an enormous canyon. My compass put us within 6 feet of a blood trail across such a canyon. It also got me within 35 yards of a bedded mule deer over half a mile up and across a ragged cliffy basin. You have to shoot a precise compass bearing from the spot where the critter was hit to some precise small spot that will be easy to see from the critter's side of the canyon BEFORE YOU MOVE FROM WHERE YOU SHOT. That could be an orange cap or vest hung at the spot of the shot.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by MOW
But what if you stalk thru the black timber all morning looking for gleaming eyeballs, then come to the edge of enormous canyon, and all your elk are now on the opposite slope 600 yards distant? Then what?
Remember that a bloodspot is very hard to find after crossing a large canyon to start tracking your wounded elk.

Tangent, but an important one. A compass can pinpoint a spot or blood trail across an enormous canyon. My compass put us within 6 feet of a blood trail across such a canyon. It also got me within 35 yards of a bedded mule deer over half a mile up and across a ragged cliffy basin. You have to shoot a precise compass bearing from the spot where the critter was hit to some precise small spot that will be easy to see from the critter's side of the canyon BEFORE YOU MOVE FROM WHERE YOU SHOT. That could be an orange cap or vest hung at the spot of the shot.
IOW, take a careful reading and shoot a back azimuth from the far side.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by MOW

Yup, things look a lot different when you get way over there and don't recognize the spot you saw through your scope... the couple times I have shot that far I've been lucky to have someone next to me to spot as I make my way to the spot.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Anaconda
It's my opinion that 90% of elk are harvested at under 300 yards.
95%+ at under 400 yards.

A .308, 30-06 or .270 with a 4X scope is more than enough.
A cup & core bullet of reasonable weight will do the job.

If you want a 20X scope on a .300 magnum, that's fine but you don't need it.

I have 5 elk under my belt, all taken at under 100 yards.

So how many of you actually take elk at 500+ yards, and what percentage of you elk were at longer distance.

I have killed more elk beyond 800yds than you have in total.

Do what you want and shoot what you want but skip bloviating about what any one else "needs".

Thanks. wink

It's Monday, and yet you put a smile on my face....Bloviating!!!! grin wink laugh

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Sad that anyone would brag about shooting at an Elk at 800 yards.

Shows complete lack of respect for the animal. You have to wonder how many were missed or wounded and lost, but we'll never know because it's "classified" with no independently verified data.

Next we'll be hearing they were shot with a 6.5 Creedmore.

Sad that sniper wannabes are polluting our sport and leaving more horror stories to feed the anti-hunting gristmill. They have forgotten or never learned the meaning of the hunt.

“As all hunters, the people of the Americas relied on the skills of stalking, tracking, and trapping to get close to their quarry, so the range and power of the weapon were not so important as the craft of hunting.” – Robert Hardy

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You should really look into having that pole removed from your asss.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You should really look into having that pole removed from your asss.....

He's got to remove his head first..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UpThePole

Sad that sniper wannabes are polluting our sport

Not as sad as sock puppets like you polluting our forums.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Sad that sniper wannabes are polluting our sport

Not as sad as sock puppets like you polluting our forums.
If you're shooting all that many elk that far out, try getting closer.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sad, that so many who can't shoot are polluting our hunt.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Sad, that so many who can't shoot are polluting our hunt.

I don't really care how long of a shot a guy takes, as long as they can make it happen with just 1. That is 1 shot to kill the elk!!! If a guy can consistently make an 800 yard shot, take it, but don't be guessing or wounding animals. This schidt is really not hard: Know your abilities and don't shoot outside those boundaries... Not everyone has the same ability or skill.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Nobody can "consistently" make an 800 yard shot on a living animal in real world conditions.

Damn few can make an 800 yard shot on a fixed target with wind flags every 100 yards.

In fact damn few can make 100% killing shots at 300 yards in real world conditions.

But wolves and Yotes have to eat too. Easier for them to take down a cripple than a healthy animal.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nobody can "consistently" make an 800 yard shot on a living animal in real world conditions.

Damn few can make an 800 yard shot on a fixed target with wind flags every 100 yards.

In fact damn few can make 100% killing shots at 300 yards in real world conditions.

But wolves and Yotes have to eat too. Easier for them to take down a cripple than a healthy animal.

That may be, but why put down those "damn few" who can do those things? That isn't to mention not everyone who takes those long shots at critters take any shot they have, though some do. Plenty of folks have the discipline to stay off the trigger at whatever range unless everything "feels" right. You're wanting to punish good behavior right alongside the bad.

Something tells me you're one of those people who I wouldn't trust to responsibly make a 100 yard shot on a critter.....so maybe everyone should be limited to that distance???

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Shows complete lack of respect for the animal. You have to wonder how many were missed or wounded and lost, but we'll never know because it's "classified" with no independently verified data.

Sad that sniper wannabes are polluting our sport and leaving more horror stories to feed the anti-hunting gristmill. They have forgotten or never learned the meaning of the hunt.

“As all hunters, the people of the Americas relied on the skills of stalking, tracking, and trapping to get close to their quarry, so the range and power of the weapon were not so important as the craft of hunting.” – Robert Hardy

I sure hope you never, ever take a shot at running game. Shots on running game leave more horror stories, and hypocrisy is a terrible thing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You are an idiot without a clue..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Lots of guys can and do make long shots because they can and that is what is presented. Every time this stupid statement comes up from someone I am reminded how many guys I've seen who are lucky to hit a deer or elk at 50 yards, but brag the deer or elk they shot was at least 600 yards away- until you prove to them with a LRF that it was actually only 150 or 200 yards.... IMO, those are the guys who are sending wounded animals into the next canyon or county to be eaten by coyotes, wolves, etc....

Having the discipline to shoot when the shot is right, regardless of the distance, is what ethics is really about. On top of that, animals that are a distance away are seldom spooked and are quite often standing still for the shot and you have time for a good broadside turn for the best sight picture.... all depends on your perspective.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pot meet kettle.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You are an idiot without a clue..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Run this up your pole hole. 🖕🏾

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,265
Posts18,486,536
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.