Print Thread
Hop To
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wasn't any pictures posted with it... but saw a post over on Facebook...

where a crew on a restored B17 out of Renton WA took a 99 year old B 17 pilot who flew with the 8th Air Force in 1944 for 36 missions

out for a flight on their A/C for his 99th birthday...

Love stories like this when you see folks give thanks and gifts like this to our veterans, who in their youth served our nation and put themselves
in harms way to defend our freedoms 70 plus years ago...

Kudos to the guys who took this Veteran up on a flight in their B 17, at 99 y/o so he could relive his youth, one more time.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In a plane nearly as old as him. Made in America.....both of them.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Would you go up in a Huey for your 99th Birthday Dan?

I say God Bless both the B 17 and the 99 year old pilot....

and your RIGHT....

MADE IN THE USA!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ride a Huey when I’m 99? Depends if I’m at the controls or not. 😁

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They were giants.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad's first cousin was a co pilot in the 100th. His first flight was January 1945. He also did the training at different airfields across western America with time spent at Las Vegas and Lincoln Nebraska. I did an NVG training flight out of Lincoln many years ago.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
God bless him and I hope he had an enjoyable flight. Very few of those B-17 guys left, whereas years ago I knew a bunch of them. One of my uncles was a ground crewman on them in England, one of my old girlfriends father was a ball turret gunner on one and I've worked with a few others years ago. I wish I had some audio recordings of stuff that I heard from them but back then I never thought about it much in those days. I bet that Rocky Rabb will peruse this thread, and some years ago IIRC, he took a ride in a B-17 and one of the other passengers was an elderly B-17 veteran. Rocky got a great picture of the old guy sitting in the plane. Hey, Rocky; if you still have that photo could you post it?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In the summer of 2000 the Experimental Aircraft Association B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" came to Lebanon Tennessee for an air show. They were selling rides to cover the cost of flying the bird, which is considerable. A 1-hour ride cost $600.00. Our family chipped in and bought Dad a ride, his first one since he left the Air Force as a pilot in 1945. By a happy coincidence, I repaired a tug they needed to move the planes around during the show. It had problems with the transmission, and I happened to have the parts to fix it handy at my shop a few miles away. When we showed up for his ride the next morning, I got a freebie. He got his turn in the left seat, along with all the other guys, and had an ear to ear grin the whole time. Spending a few minutes at the controls of a B-17 was a once in a lifetime experience for me- - - -doing it with my father onboard was priceless!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.