Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Found this article sorta interesting.
5 Best Guns of WW2
As a veteran, number 1 warms my heart.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great article. Glad to see them pay homage to the Mosin Nagant.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd like to see the BAR on there but it probably wasn't widely used enough. The BAR is an awesome design for its time.

Bb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do believe those conscripted Russian peasants woulda done just as well or better with Enfield No.4’s but a pretty good article anyway.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, at least he got 2 right.

The M1 Garand and the M2 50 cal machine gun.

And I would have picked the Enfield No 4 in .303 cal over the Mosin Nagant any old day of the week & twice on Sunday. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mg 42 laid a bunch of guys in the. Ground

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I'd like to see the BAR on there but it probably wasn't widely used enough. The BAR is an awesome design for its time.

Bb
What a useless machine gun

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

Bb

Ever used one, or seen one used? I have. You are obviously clueless.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No 1911? (Bleep) him.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

Bb

Ever used one, or seen one used? I have. You are obviously clueless.
How many krauts or japs did you kill

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Well, at least he got 2 right.

The M1 Garand and the M2 50 cal machine gun.

And I would have picked the Enfield No 4 in .303 cal over the Mosin Nagant any old day of the week & twice on Sunday. 🤠

I thought that as well. There is no doubt that the Mosin Nagant rifles have their place in history, and were a very reliable weapon, but for a battle rifle, the SMLE's were a better choice. For my purposes, I'd even pick the K98 over the Mosin Nagant.

Also, I'd chosen the German MP40, the Schmeisser, over the Russkie SMG, but it's pretty much a tossup. At least they didn't pick the Sten Gun.

While I believe the STG44 was maybe the most influential rifle to come out of WW2, there just wasn't that many of them made. I'd probably have picked the MG42, as it saw widespread use, and the design is still in use today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The choices did not thrill me.

Garand and M2: Yes

The rest? No.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Bb

Tend to agree with you Burleyboy, most all of John M Brownings designs were awesome designs for their time and many years later still are. The BAR didn't become outdated but they ran short.of men to carry them and hump the extra ammo to feed them. The belt fed 1919 wasn't lwt either and needed a guy to hump the tripod.Belts of ammo weren't lwt either but gave longer sustained fire than 20 rd mags. But the concept was a good one as US military has gone back to shoulder fired machine guns. I've allways wanted a BAR the semi auto version would be enough for me they just cost 2 damned much...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lotsa personal bias in that.
Everyone has it.

Garand and The Ma Duece 1 and 2.

The rest.
I would put the MG42 STG 44 at 3 and 4 due to all the features and design from them put into wpns after them.

#5 for a bolt rifle .... The Enfield 10 shots and the ability to work its bolt rapidly.

Whatever...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If they invent a time machine and stuff my fat ass in to go back and try to survive for a week on the front lines, I would want a weapon with the ability to put a volume of fire at up to intermediate ranges as reliably as possible.

I'm thinking StG, G43, SVT40, Garand, or M1941 Johnson.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by auk1124
If they invent a time machine and stuff my fat ass in to go back and try to survive for a week on the front lines, I would want a weapon with the ability to put a volume of fire at up to intermediate ranges as reliably as possible.

I'm thinking StG, G43, SVT40, Garand, or M1941 Johnson.

If it had been left up to the Marines, the Johnson was their choice.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For me the Garand was the greatest weapon carried in WWII. It was reasonably accurate and had a good rate of fire. Nothing is perfect and the Germans had some fearful weapons but we were well equipped.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Seems there exist a large population of shooters who feel the Mosin Nagant is some kind of miraculous battle rifle. I theorize it was because of the massive influx of them in the past 20-30 years, and their availability to those who picked them up as possibly their first rifle. So what if they made a scadzillion of them. The 98k was much better rifle and the SMLE #4 was a much better battle rifle.

I don’t see any advantages to a Mosin Nagant that say a Mannlicher Carcano doesn’t have. For that matter I feel the Type 38 and Type 99 Arisakas are better rifles that the Nagant.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
For that matter I feel the Type 38 and Type 99 Arisakas are better rifles that the Nagant.

When it comes to the strongest and most gas proof actions, the Jap rifles are so far ahead of the Nagants, and for that matter, just about everything else, that it's not eve close.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
For that matter I feel the Type 38 and Type 99 Arisakas are better rifles that the Nagant.

When it comes to the strongest and most gas proof actions, the Jap rifles are so far ahead of the Nagants, and for that matter, just about everything else, that it's not eve close.

Bingo!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,866
Posts18,478,673
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.