Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Seems there exist a large population of shooters who feel the Mosin Nagant is some kind of miraculous battle rifle. I theorize it was because of the massive influx of them in the past 20-30 years, and their availability to those who picked them up as possibly their first rifle. So what if they made a scadzillion of them. The 98k was much better rifle and the SMLE #4 was a much better battle rifle.

I don’t see any advantages to a Mosin Nagant that say a Mannlicher Carcano doesn’t have. For that matter I feel the Type 38 and Type 99 Arisakas are better rifles that the Nagant.

Yep. 98K and the SMLE #4 are hard to beat, as far as bolt action rifles go.

Found a Arisakas in Dad’s stuff after he passed. Need to figure out which model it is.
Also, I found him a un-issued Beretta made Carcano carbine many years ago to go with his WW-II collection. It’s a slick little rifle. I also got him a box of the Norma ammo, when I gave it to him. He never fired it. I need to try it out.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Lotsa personal bias in that.
Everyone has it.

Garand and The Ma Duece 1 and 2.

The rest.
I would put the MG42 STG 44 at 3 and 4 due to all the features and design from them put into wpns after them.

#5 for a bolt rifle .... The Enfield 10 shots and the ability to work its bolt rapidly.

Whatever...

The 10 shot magazine and the slick way the bolt operates is what makes the Enfield a better “battle rifle” than all the other bolt actions made back then, IMO. Mine is pretty accurate too. It’s one of the American made models contracted by Savage Arms.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
No 1911? (Bleep) him.

LOL. My first thought too, David.

Any list of great battle guns should automatically include John Browning’s 1911’s.
And look how many wars it was used in, too.

Even today, in modern times, a man is pretty well armed with a 1911 and a M1 Garand !

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The choices did not thrill me.

Garand and M2: Yes

The rest? No.

particularly that POS Moisin-Nagant with Lee Enfields and Springfields around.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've worked on several M-N rifles. Cheap to make is their defining point, IMO. AKA POS. Kilt a lot of German and Geman conscripts tho.

Poles, Lithuanians, Finns, etc.

The Garand, 1911, M98, Arisaka should all be on the list, IMO, as far as hand-held go. I never liked the Lee-Enfield personally, but it was certainly effective rifle for another POS. Adjusting head space by screwing on a different bolt head was a neat feature, except the right bolt heads for the ones I've worked on were almost impossible to find, so there were some I just refused to work on, whatever the problem. Those needing the #4, especially, got a pass from me.

I would never buy a M-N nor an Enfield, either one, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by las; 08/17/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I want to get "Shots Fired in Anger" to read. It's about the Japanese' firearms in the War in the Pacific. Although the Arisaka was a homely rifle it was very strong and lethal. They were brutal and efficient killers but used some insane tactics.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know it's more than 5 but you can't beat them!

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The Japanese were apparently pretty decent marksmen too!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know, I know, the Mauser is a better rifle than the Mosin Nagant. I love Mausers and I own two of them, a German Mauser and a Swedish Mauser. That Swede is just a beautiful rifle. Very accurate.

I spoke up for the Mosin Nagant. Yes it is crude, and in practice, doesn't even have a damn safety. But the Russkies made 'em by the millions and they killed a lot of Krauts. The Mosin is rugged and reliable. The main reason I like Mosins is the Finn reworks. The Finns captured hundreds of thousands of Mosins in WW1 and reworked them. VKT and Sako put on new barrels, new stocks and sights, the only original part is the action. These Finn remakes are beautiful rifles, and accurate. The little Finnish Army used these rifles to stand Russia to a draw in the first year of WW2. Finnish ski patrolmen snipers must have killed a hundred thousand Russians with these rifles.

Here is my VKT M39.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You don't know Enfolds then. Without question, the best combat bolt action ever.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No I don't like Enfields. Went hunting with my dad's Enfield once and made a bad shot on a buck. I don't like peep sights.

I did like "Rule .303 " in Breaker Morant.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The 1917 Enfield was indeed a great rifle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 50 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,859
Posts18,517,753
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.