Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There are some really accurate prediction sites across the net for better details.

[Linked Image from media.timeout.com]

Keep an eye to the sky Wednesday night if you live across the far northern U.S.: The aurora borealis, or northern lights, may be making a rare appearance. 

Recent explosions on the surface of the sun have sent clouds of charged particles, known as coronal mass ejections, hurtling through the solar system, according to AccuWeather. 

"These clouds of particles are predicted to collide with Earth's magnetic field on Wednesday night into Thursday, sparking dazzling displays of the aurora," AccuWeather's Brian Lada said.

Auroras typically appear as rippling curtains of green, red or purple light.

Geomagnetic storms such as these can also affect infrastructure in near-Earth orbit and on the surface, possibly disrupting communications, the power grid, navigation, and radio and satellite operations, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said.

In this video it's stated 11pm tonight through 5am Wed. is prime

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Should be good around Jim Conrad country, set an alarm, shoot us a video Jim? Sam?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My grandmother used to tell me that when she was younger in the 1930s, that they could see the northern lights from Arkansas

I always thought maybe she was full of shît or on that shotgun whisky

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I usually don’t check the aurora forecast until later in the year.

The Kp is 5 now which is pretty good. Tomorrow is a 7, which is yuge!

Naturally, the sky is pissing like a race horse.

https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck

Won't see them out here, but we usually have a sky full of UFOs.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Oh......those.......for a minute I thought it was an intestinal problem... I was going to tell you to take some Imodium... :^) ... We don't get to see stuff like that here in KY.

Last edited by reivertom; 08/17/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by reivertom
Oh......those.......for a minute I thought it was an intestinal problem... I was going to tell you to take some Imodium... :^) ... We don't get to see stuff like that here in KY.

We got these durn cityfried scardy cats. Karens that move out here and have they dept of electricity install those god-awful sodium fraidy-lights on telephone poles.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by slumlord
My grandmother used to tell me that when she was younger in the 1930s, that they could see the northern lights from Arkansas

I always thought maybe she was full of shît or on that shotgun whisky
My father, born in 1917, told me that he had seen them once in Alabama in the 1930s. He was never one to exaggerate.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
not in Texas

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Even up North you gotta get out of the city light area by a few miles. But yes they are great to view. Even better with a camera that can do timed elapsed photography.

IC B3

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
I usually don’t check the aurora forecast until later in the year.

The Kp is 5 now which is pretty good. Tomorrow is a 7, which is yuge!

Naturally, the sky is pissing like a race horse.

https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

They're saying it could be spectacular, I don't think Montana has any cloud cover predicted, those Highline guys may be in for a real show. No city light pollution around Sam or Jim's place either.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve seen them here in the Northern Shenandoah Valley twice. Not very spectacular, just a red curtain effect, but something to remember for certain.

Seem to recall there was a big display visible in VA during the Civil War after a Confederate victory. It was seen as a sign from Heaven in support of the Rebel cause. (I read about this, don’t remember it as I was very young at the time)

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I’ve only seen them when flying off the America near the Arctic Circle off of Norway. Distracting but pretty cool.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Heck

Won't see them out here, but we usually have a sky full of UFOs.
They must be on their way over to the tunnels in Mt Shasta.

Last edited by Valsdad; 08/17/22.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have seen aurora/northern lights in various places around the world, from northern Canada to Norway, but the most spectacular were seen in central Montana in the late 1980s. Lived on the edge of a tiny town about 25 miles west of Lewistown then, and they covered 2/3 of the sky, with colors ranging from green to orange, and continued until at least 2:00 in the morning, which is when Eileen and I gave up watching them while lying on sleeping bags in the back yard.

Am tempted to stay up tonight, but am more tempted to set an alarm clock and see what's out there after sleeping for a few hours!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by reivertom

We got these durn cityfried scardy cats. Karens that move out here and have they dept of electricity install those god-awful sodium fraidy-lights on telephone poles.
We got them fuggers out this way. Fortunately, none right in close proximity, but if I look to the northwest some, where there's some development, a lot of them folks that bought 1.5 - 5 acre lots "in the country" went and had them damn orange lights installed. We're on the edge of one of the best "Dark Skies" areas in the US too.

I have to keep the reins pulled back on the wife and her solar yard lights even.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We saw the Northern lights here in Kentucky in November of 1991 while camping during deer season. Last time I’ve seen them.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not in a good location for viewing from the house.
Far enough north but on the south side of the mountain.

If they hold out till 5am I might drive up to the top of the ridge and drink my coffee, usually get that going around 4 anyway.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’ve seen them here in the Northern Shenandoah Valley twice. Not very spectacular, just a red curtain effect, but something to remember for certain.

Seem to recall there was a big display visible in VA during the Civil War after a Confederate victory. It was seen as a sign from Heaven in support of the Rebel cause. (I read about this, don’t remember it as I was very young at the time)

Battle of Fredericksburg I believe.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have seen aurora/northern lights in various places around the world, from northern Canada to Norway, but the most spectacular were seen in central Montana in the late 1980s. Lived on the edge of a tiny town about 25 miles west of Lewistown then, and they covered 2/3 of the sky, with colors ranging from green to orange, and continued until at least 2:00 in the morning, which is when Eileen and I gave up watching them while lying on sleeping bags in the back yard.

Am tempted to stay up tonight, but am more tempted to set an alarm clock and see what's out there after sleeping for a few hours!

New Years night in the late 90's or 2000 I saw them and they were 360 degrees.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 3,148 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,966
Posts18,499,245
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.