Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GPU prices are stupid high

helped my son build a gaming computer over the winter. We went AMD for the CPU and Nvidia 3060ti.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
My last build was about eight years ago. I lean heavily toward AMD processers and graphics.

I can usually hold a build to less than $1200. You can get components which were state of the art 18 months ago, and would have cost $10,000 then.

But, I don't do combat flight sims, or attack sub sims anymore. 99% of what I do on the computer today is done on an Asus Tuff Gaming laptop.
Rather than build a new system, I think my next project will be new operating systems on the old desk top. Win XP Pro, and Linux on a dual boot system.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gaming is much improved on Linux now. I don't do that, so I can't vouch for how good it is. But there are thousands of verified games using the Steam add-in. If you set up a dual-boot with Win and Linux, you may soon wipe out the Win half.

For games, I might recommend trying Pop! as your Linux distro.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lol and here I was dreading windoz 7 so I went experimenting with Linux and never looked back.

I used to leave a couple of systems running all the time until like you I had one catch on fire while I was home, I no longer leave any running if I'm not home.

The system I have in the loading room is an I7, 16 gig of ram, SSD boot drive, and Ubuntu 18.04 is up and ready inside of 12 seconds so no need to leave it run.

Glad it wasn't any worse.

#geekontheloose

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Despite Rocky's commentary on the horror which is Windows, I've had Win11 running on a couple of spare laptops and its just a continuation of Win10. We use MS at work and its too much of a pain to run Linux in parallel. I have run Mint and its fine as well. Just easier at the moment to stick with Windows since I'm working in it all day every day.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There more expensive and have a lot of stuff hidden from the user, but macs are pretty good. The are just like a Linux machine but have software like a Windows machine.

[Linked Image from ]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hope it all works out, not sure i know enough to attempt to build a system.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Partsman
Hope it all works out, not sure i know enough to attempt to build a system.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Build a system!😂😂😂😂😂😂

Only read the thread to see what I could pick up.
There were words understood, and a bunch of Charley Brown's teacher.
Wish I understood this stuff, but another rabbit hole? No!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Gaming is much improved on Linux now. I don't do that, so I can't vouch for how good it is. But there are thousands of verified games using the Steam add-in. If you set up a dual-boot with Win and Linux, you may soon wipe out the Win half.

For games, I might recommend trying Pop! as your Linux distro.

Thanks Rocky. The system in mind already has two HDDs divided into five partitions plus an SSD for boot and often accessed programs. It would be easy to make it dual boot

My idea of gaming is far from typical. I absolutely will not do online stuff. My Software is all DOS based, written for Win 95/98.

Titles like Janes 688i, Dangerous Waters, Falcon IV, Janes USAF, Janes IAF, Janes F 15.

No, I really was not pretending to be a pilot. But WAS very interested to learn about the capability of various weapons systems and data links, as they are modeled by Janes.

In six months I will be retired and thought I might see if I can rekindle the interest in these titles. There is not really anything coming from the publishers which is comparable today.

Most people using this software on modern systems run it in an emulator. I have not attempted to set up an emulator. Nor do I know how Linux will play with DOS software. Perhaps an emulator will run in Linux.

I have lots to learn.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The easiest way to learn about home computer tech, and available hard/software is to pick up and read the PC Gamer mags. I do so for about six months each time I contemplate a new PC. That will tell one what has become available in the market.

I shop Newegg.com

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll I know is that superman can beat up Spiderman. That's were my geek knowledge ends.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AMD 5600X water cooled.

Radeon 6700XT 12GB.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gaming machines are VERY high-end, with capabilities way WAY beyond what the average home user really needs. Let's face it, most home users use a computer solely to access the internet and maybe do a letter or spreadsheet or two. For those people neither Windows nor MAC with all their bloatware and tracking are not only excessive but undesirable.

If you are work-at-home engineer or such, you may be required to use Windows and a bunch of proprietary (expensive) software. So Linux may not work for you. But for the rest of us, we can load almost any Linux distribution and hardly know the difference from Windows. Except that Linux doesn't crash, doesn't kidnap your machine to do updates, and has totally free software.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.