Hop To
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by memtb
We must determine our definition of “long distance”! Here are my personal requirements….. An accurate rifle, using a fairly high BC bullet upwards of .30 caliber, that will give adequate expansion at the pre-determined distance limit involved, lots of trigger time with said rifle, and carefully choosing good atmospheric conditions! When you’ve satisfied all those parameters……having, as in my case, over 2000 ft/pounds of remaining energy at my personal limit of 600 yards is desirable! memtb

Here's to ya.

2000 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, even for a heavy rifle, bumps me out of precision shooting.

1500 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, with a 9.5 lb rifle, is about it, and not all day long, either.

But the .270 Win. can do that, if one is careful.

GR

FPE is irealavant quote such shows ignorance

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It’s a 9 pounder, and the recoil gets your attention! I’m certainly not good for more than 20 to 30 (30 is pushing it) rounds at a sitting with full house loads. I’d prefer to keep the round count under 10…..as the shoulder is pretty sore the next day! It’s shot very little with full house loads…..that’s what light loads in it and small bore rifles are for! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Garandimal
We must determine our definition of “long distance”! Here are my personal requirements….. An accurate rifle, using a fairly high BC bullet upwards of .30 caliber, that will give adequate expansion at the pre-determined distance limit involved, lots of trigger time with said rifle, and carefully choosing good atmospheric conditions! When you’ve satisfied all those parameters……having, as in my case, over 2000 ft/pounds of remaining energy at my personal limit of 600 yards is desirable! memtb

Here's to ya.

2000 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, even for a heavy rifle, bumps me out of precision shooting.

1500 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, with a 9.5 lb rifle, is about it, and not all day long, either.

But the .270 Win. can do that, if one is careful.

GR

FPE is iralavant quote such shows ignorance

That has been my experience as well, due to both using and seeing a lot of big game taken on several continents with everything from broadhead arrows, .22-caliber rifles, and handguns on up to "big bore" rifles at various ranges. Impact energy has varied from around 50 foot-pounds to around 5000. The major factor I've noticed that matters is whether the projectile makes a big enough hole through the vital organs.

Would like to hear about GA's, "The formulas used to determine bullet selection and impact velocity, on game inside that range, have proven themselves over a lifetime of hunting."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would suggest that you abandon your chosen Long Range Rifle build, and either put a scope on a rifle that you have already that’s decent or buy a rifle in a caliber and cartridge that is easy shooting and can fire a projectile with a high BC.

People have no business starting their long range shooting learning curve the way you are determined to do so. Starting out knowing nothing, thinking you know everything is a big problem, as you will finally figure it out with experience.

Get a good load for a rifle that you have and a scope that dials consistently and start shooting developing the drop data that works for all the drops out to as far as the rifle can shoot or the scope can travel. Enter some fun shoots that are PRS style or practical rifle match style and learn how to get rest and build positions. Learn how to dope the wind under pressure and time constraints.

When you do all of this, you will learn what is possible. You can then pick a cartridge that will get it done for you. You don’t have to shoot heavy recoiling cartridges to kill game at Long Range, but if you want to do so that’s fine.

It’s a great journey. You’ll find out every day how much you don’t know, but shooting in all conditions, learning to load, and understanding wind and a multitude of other things will eventually sink into your skull. You’ll discover humility.

Best of luck to you

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by CCgunner
Does anyone have experience with 155 Scenar expansion between 1800-1950 FPS?

I’m going to try to test it out on ballistic gell but wanted to see if anyone has on game experience from 1800-1950 FPS

I shot a cow two seasons ago at 615 yards using my 20" Broadside shot. Entered the shoulder and was caught in the offside hide. Velocity was under 1900 according to my dope card. Worked perfectly fine as always.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is a quote from 3 or 4 elk ago.

Using a rifle that does not weigh even 8 pounds and sure was not generating 1500-2000 FT-lbs at 615 yards. In fact according to my calcs, it was under 1200.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a 9 pounder, and the recoil gets your attention! I’m certainly not good for more than 20 to 30 (30 is pushing it) rounds at a sitting with full house loads. I’d prefer to keep the round count under 10…..as the shoulder is pretty sore the next day! It’s shot very little with full house loads…..that’s what light loads in it and small bore rifles are for! memtb
That's not a great recipe for developing LR proficiency with the load you'll use for LR hunting.

Forget the arbitrary 2000 ft-lbs number, and use any 6mm+ cartridge/bullet that will retain enough velocity to expand when it hits flesh, and you're GTG. Most importantly, choose one that you can shoot to the best of your capability all afternoon without sub-consciously "bracing for impact" as you squeeze the trigger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I would suggest that you abandon your chosen Long Range Rifle build, and either put a scope on a rifle that you have already that’s decent or buy a rifle in a caliber and cartridge that is easy shooting and can fire a projectile with a high BC.

People have no business starting their long range shooting learning curve the way you are determined to do so. Starting out knowing nothing, thinking you know everything is a big problem, as you will finally figure it out with experience.

Get a good load for a rifle that you have and a scope that dials consistently and start shooting developing the drop data that works for all the drops out to as far as the rifle can shoot or the scope can travel. Enter some fun shoots that are PRS style or practical rifle match style and learn how to get rest and build positions. Learn how to dope the wind under pressure and time constraints.

When you do all of this, you will learn what is possible. You can then pick a cartridge that will get it done for you. You don’t have to shoot heavy recoiling cartridges to kill game at Long Range, but if you want to do so that’s fine.

It’s a great journey. You’ll find out every day how much you don’t know, but shooting in all conditions, learning to load, and understanding wind and a multitude of other things will eventually sink into your skull. You’ll discover humility.

Best of luck to you
Good advice.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Does a 140gr tsx max loaded out of a 270 even have enough velocity for reliable expansion at 600+ yds?.. mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It’s worked pretty good for 30+ years! Though, I would much prefer shots under 50 yards! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Wait, I thought all that was needed were some rip stop BDU’s and a three day assault pack and I too could be a sniper on some poor critter at 600 yards. And remember, that’s where true sniping begins..

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
GR,

Sorry, but the more you post, the more I'm certain your knowledge of big game hunting is more theoretical than real.

Ain’t that the truth. Still waiting on pics from the other thread.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Best of luck to you
Good advice.

Yes it is. Doubt it will be followed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Best of luck to you
Good advice.

Yes it is. Doubt it will be followed.

He needs a really good scope because I don't think the 3-9x40 Leupold he mentioned is going to cut it.. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Does a 140gr tsx max loaded out of a 270 even have enough velocity for reliable expansion at 600+ yds?.. mb

I wouldn't wanna gamble it myself..

A little practice shooting our 223’s and stuff during the summer out to 800 made the 675 yard shot pretty easy for my little brother. A decent scope like Jordan mentioned helps a bunch.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

We did use our packs to shoot over though..

Mine was much closer at 390, but still a relatively easy poke for a decent bullet and scope.

Last edited by beretzs; 08/18/22.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by dale06
It takes excellent marksmanship.

And a lot of practice.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
GR,

Sorry, but the more you post, the more I'm certain your knowledge of big game hunting is more theoretical than real.

Ain’t that the truth. Still waiting on pics from the other thread.

I think he's a troll, volleying the General Big Game and the Ask the Gunwriters forums.
It's Lee24 with a side of ElkSlayer91 and a sanctimonious dash of Savage_99.

WWP53D
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=rcamuglia]I would suggest that you abandon your chosen Long Range Rifle build, and either put a scope on a rifle that you have already that’s decent or buy a rifle in a caliber and cartridge that is easy shooting and can fire a projectile with a high BC.

Best of luck to you
Good advice.[/quotI

I agree with this also. This part (" Enter some fun shoots that are PRS style or practical rifle match style and learn how to get rest and build positions.")May not be necessary, but is still Good advise. You can accomplish this without having to enter a competition. Anyone can quickly learn to read a reticle or twist turrets. IMO the most important skill to learn is doping the wind. Find someone that is proficient at long range shooting. Maybe at a local gun club or shooting range that you can talk to. You can learn a lot from someone that has been in the long range game for a while. Learning how to read a mirage and wind conditions down range is more important than your rifle build at this point, JMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Participation in local precision matches is probably the most important part of the equation. It will make you a better rifleman and a better Hunter.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
He needs a really good scope because I don't think the 3-9x40 Leupold he mentioned is going to cut it.. ha ha..

When I see that pic my imagination forms that sound a ruler makes when pinned down and thwanged on the edge of a desk.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
...People have no business starting their long range shooting learning curve the way you are determined to do so. Starting out knowing nothing, thinking you know everything is a big problem, as you will finally figure it out with experience...

The point of this thread, professor, is to determine what is necessary for shooting from 4-600 yards at game... versus < 400 yards.

Already have a scoped rifle that handles < 400 yards just fine, and am a competent rifleman out to well beyond that.

Thinking about building a hunting rifle good for 600 yards.

Started a thread RE: that.

Got mostly attitude and emotional outbursts so far.

Was maybe expecting some practical advise.

Thanks.

GR

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AdventureBound, 9 invisible), 4,124 guests, and 720 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,810
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.