Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking for your opinions on how the last version of the discontinued 42mm SLC, which I believe was named "W B", compares to newer designs. For big game hunting and general purpose use, and not specifically for birding.

I haven't kept up with the newer models for awhile, but am currently shopping for a full-size binocular (42mm) to replace my compact (32mm).

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Since the SLC is discontinued, it's not possible to go to a store to check out. I'd need to get a used or demo unit, with possibly no ability to return it.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have one and really like them. Good glass, good ergonomics, and fairly compact. A year or so after getting the 10x42 SLC, I picked up some 12x50 ELs. I thought I would be selling the SLCs, but I learned that I preferred them over the ELs in situations where the 12x wasn't warranted. I have no experience with the NL Pure line of binos, so I can't compare to those.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Whisky. Is it the 10x magnification that you prefer or other characteristics?

I know that there are different features (focuser speed, eyecup fit, etc.) and characteristics (flat field or not, FOV, DOF, contrast, CA, etc.) that people look for in an optical instrument like a binocular. There are a lot of factors to consider, or ignore!

Several years ago I remember some people preferring the SLC to the EL SV. And today I read online where some people prefer the EL to the new NL Pure.

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/18/22.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The problem with my comparison is its not apples to apples, as far as "characteristics" go; 12x50 vs 10x42, big differences. I feel the overall view is better through the SLCs, and I like the ergonomics/way they feel better. But if I'm hunting out west, or in a place where I don't want to pack the spotter, I'll take the 12x ELs every time. Had Swaro made a 12x50 SLC W B, I would have bought those instead of ELs.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The hard part of any of this stuff is getting your hands on enough of them to see/feel the difference.
I didn't see enough of a difference between my current SLC in 8x42 (the model you're inquiring about) to warrant the Swarovsion but I've not laid peepers on an NL Pure - I'm sure it's fabulous.
And for me the only difference between the SLC and the older EL was a little better ergos in the EL if one is partial to an open bridge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whisky
The problem with my comparison is its not apples to apples, as far as "characteristics" go; 12x50 vs 10x42, big differences. I feel the overall view is better through the SLCs, and I like the ergonomics/way they feel better. But if I'm hunting out west, or in a place where I don't want to pack the spotter, I'll take the 12x ELs every time. Had Swaro made a 12x50 SLC W B, I would have bought those instead of ELs.

I understand, Whisky. You actually answered my question and provided what I wanted to know, even with the apples to oranges comparison.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
The hard part of any of this stuff is getting your hands on enough of them to see/feel the difference.
I didn't see enough of a difference between my current SLC in 8x42 (the model you're inquiring about) to warrant the Swarovsion but I've not laid peepers on an NL Pure - I'm sure it's fabulous.
And for me the only difference between the SLC and the older EL was a little better ergos in the EL if one is partial to an open bridge.

Thanks Skane. Yeah, I would typically just order whatever binoculars that I am interested in and send them back if I don't like them. But finding an SLC isn't so easy, and I'd probably have to resell them if I decided not to keep them. That might be my only option, and certainly not the end of world.

Just seems like the SLC is a really good model when you weigh the pros and cons. But am open to others, especially if the newer designs are "better".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Take it FWIW......Like SKane my primary hunting binos nowadays are the SLC's in 8x42. They offer a superb view, great ergos, well made, and backed by Swaro. I also own, or have owned, Meopta Meostar HD (superb), 10x50 EL SV, Leica Trinovid, Kowa Genesis, Leupy Gold Ring HD, Tract Toric UHD, Leica Geovids, and some I'm probably forgetting. When you get to that level of glass, it's more nitpicking to determine which has the best view, and unless you have them on tripods in the field you'll never notice what/if anything you're missing. Ergonomics play as big of a roll as anything nowadays IMO, as most any $500 class bino has excellent optics.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks JGR, I was hoping that you'd post in this thread. I know that you do a bunch of glassing for bucks so your experience in the field and with optics is appreciated.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I recently bought a used pair of SLC 8x42, I think they were made in 2014. I tried Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid, Tract Toric and Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide. I was lucky to find this pair in excellent condition and they have exceeded my expectations. I think if you buy a pair you won’t be disappointed and even if you don’t like them you could resell them fairly easily.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Take it FWIW......Like SKane my primary hunting binos nowadays are the SLC's in 8x42. They offer a superb view, great ergos, well made, and backed by Swaro. I also own, or have owned, Meopta Meostar HD (superb), 10x50 EL SV, Leica Trinovid, Kowa Genesis, Leupy Gold Ring HD, Tract Toric UHD, Leica Geovids, and some I'm probably forgetting. When you get to that level of glass, it's more nitpicking to determine which has the best view, and unless you have them on tripods in the field you'll never notice what/if anything you're missing. Ergonomics play as big of a roll as anything nowadays IMO, as most any $500 class bino has excellent optics.

^^^^^^ This^^^

I bought a pair of SLC 8x42 in 2020 and 10x56 in 2021. I could not be more pleased .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the "Compared to an SLC 10x binocular" take a look at:

Kowa Genesis 10.5x44

GPO Passion HD 10x42

Meopta MeoStar B1 Plus 10x42 HD

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by birddog1
I recently bought a used pair of SLC 8x42, I think they were made in 2014. I tried Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid, Tract Toric and Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide. I was lucky to find this pair in excellent condition and they have exceeded my expectations. I think if you buy a pair you won’t be disappointed and even if you don’t like them you could resell them fairly easily.

Good info. I ordered a demo SLC W B to check out, and have a Tract on the way. I have a Nikon HG right now, and I don't know what it is about it but it's stunning to my eyes and brain. But there are some quirks that I don't like.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Doug,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind. I've never seen the GPO in person, but I know some people rave about them online

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Since the SLC is discontinued, it's not possible to go to a store to check out. I'd need to get a used or demo unit, with possibly no ability to return it.

For the most part this is true. However, there are exceptions. LGS is a Swaro dealer and has a couple of SLC 10x42s on the shelf that are discounted.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks WiF. Do you happen to recall what the price is? I received an 8x42 that appears to be basically NIB, but might be interested in a 10x42.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Update for anyone interested. I received the 8x42 W B. They are mint and appear essentially brand new.

I thought people online were whining about three things about this version of the SLC... the eyecups, the focuser, and sounds (what?).

Well, I don't think that they are wrong. Eyecups fully retracted or fully extended are fine, but not the best overall. Geometry of the cups are great for me though and will function fine. I can deal with the focuser but understand how some people would hate it. Last, the noises. WTH? What noises? Well, when you set them down there is something inside that vibrates. Swapping between binoculars, back and forth, and setting the SLC down on a table they make a noise. Who cares for hunting when they are on your chest or tripod though. Still, I can understand how this would not instill confidence for some people.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This conversation is relevant to my interests too! Tag

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have only had the SLC W B for a short time, but under difficult ambient light conditions that matter to me most, they are clearly a step above the sub-$1k class (or sub-alphas as some people call them?). I used a tripod for comparison, but it wasn't really needed as it was obvious even handheld.

I have had a hodgepodge of sub-$1k binoculars (mix of 8x and 10x, as well as different objective sizes) and can't do a proper direct comparison, but I own or have owned SLC-neu, CL, Conquest HD, Monarch HG, Tract, Kowa Genesis, and others that I am probably forgetting. Each of those has pros and cons, but are similar in many ways. Peas in a pod? To my eyes, the SLC W B is a definite step up.

I'm sure that there are some cons that will be discovered over time with the SLC W B. However for now, I am impressed. Of course the SLC W B sold for nearly double the price of some sub-alphas, but I've seen some good deals now that they are discontinued or people "upgrade" to EL or NL. I don't know that I would pay the original full price for the W B, but I could justify it simply based on the ease of use and obvious improvement in image quality over those others.

I think that I got what I was looking for. Something noticeably better than what I have or had in the past. And appreciate the feedback I got here from those who still use an SLC even with the newer models available.

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/23/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (06hunter59, 16gage, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 57 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,988
Posts18,481,048
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.