Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I’m looking to get another handgun to hunt whitetail I been hunting with a tc but would like something that has follow up shots if needed.
I am looking for suggestions due to being a novice handgun hunter.
I was looking at a sw frame in 460 due to being able to shoot 454 and 45long colt in a 5 inch barrel.
Should I look at a longer barrel?
Open to suggestions on different guns and calibers

What’s better than a big buck......????
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Whitetails45
I’m looking to get another handgun to hunt whitetail I been hunting with a tc but would like something that has follow up shots if needed.
I was looking at a sw frame in 460 due to being able to shoot 454 and 45long colt in a 5 inch barrel.

Get the barrel length that you prefer

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would think any Ruger Blackhawk in a cartridge that starts with .4 would work for you. Barrel length to preference.

I happen to have one in 480R but would like to get a companion in 45 Colt

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What Teal said, there's no need for anything more, unless you just can't get closer. If that's the case, you're doing it wrong (I hunt Missouri, too).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
357 mag revolver will take deer

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Good advice above. I've taken somewhere around 40 deer with the 41 magnum in 5 different states, all with cast bullets. Barrel length is up to you but I like 5" barrels for the most part. The 44 & 45 are just as good or better, it all depends on good bullets & shot placement. The 357 works just fine out to 50 yds or so, again with correct bullets but you have to be very careful with shot placement but it will work. Good luck.

Dick

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I do my handgun deer hunting with .41 and .44 magnums. Other than one 7 1/2" Redhawk .44 magnum they are all Smith .41 and .44 Magnum N frames with barrels from 6" to
8 3/8". If I'm just carrying a large frame revolver as a "just in case" or auxiliary gun I tend to go with 4", 5" or 6" depending on circumstances, but if I'm specifically deer hunting with a handgun I like the longer barrels, 6" to 8 3/8" especially if I'm using open sights.

This year, I've chosen (2) .41 magnums to start the season with, a 657 "Classic Hunter" with 6 1/2" barrel and open sights and a Performance Center 657 "Hunter" with a 2X Leupold handgun scope. I will probably transition to rifles in October sometime. (Our season here opened this past Monday and goes until the end of December.)

That's how I do it, take it for what it's worth.

I wouldn't be too concerned about "follow up shots." Deer aren't going to attack you. My philosophy is that I don't take a shot unless I'm very, very certain it will end up in a dead deer. I've not very often seen any good come of blazing away a bunch of Hail Mary shots at a deer running through the woods. I shoot a revolver quite a bit, but I don't pretend to be good enough to make that a likely proposition. Along with muscle mass, some hair and my good looks, I've lost, over the years, any enthusiasm I might have ever had for Charlie Foxtrot, gut-shot goat rodeos. Then again, I've been hunting deer for almost 60 years and have killed a bunch of them and, as I've mentioned, our season here is over 4 months long and we get three buck tags and 2 doe tags to start with, more if we need them. I've got racks on the wall I'l probably never surpass. I do have faint memories of younger times and the near desperation we get to kill a deer, especially if it's a short season with limited opportunities and/or it's been a pretty dry, frustrating season.

Anyway, you do what pleases you, those are my opinions. Sometimes old guys just have to give a lot more advice than they're asked for. Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Good advice above. I've taken somewhere around 40 deer with the 41 magnum in 5 different states, all with cast bullets. Barrel length is up to you but I like 5" barrels for the most part. The 44 & 45 are just as good or better, it all depends on good bullets & shot placement. The 357 works just fine out to 50 yds or so, again with correct bullets but you have to be very careful with shot placement but it will work. Good luck.

Dick

I haven’t hunted deer with a handgun in years but I used a .41 Magnum 657. Shot it a lot better than the .44. Deer couldn’t tell the difference.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Originally Posted by Idaho1945

Dick

I haven’t hunted deer with a handgun in years but I used a .41 Magnum 657. Shot it a lot better than the .44. Deer couldn’t tell the difference.

Love the 41 mag, especially in a M-57 S&W

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
45 LC

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Holy big gun batman. A 460 for deer? The uber truthful internet has stories of people taking deer with everything from a .22 on up, 9mm, 40sw, and 45acp. I'm sure a 40/45 would be adequate within 30 yards or so, but I think they are a little light. For me a 357, 10mm, 41mag, 44mag, 45 colt would be where I'd focus my attention. Something with a 3-6 barrel. (A 3" barrel on a revolver is about the same as a 4.5-5" barrel on a semiautomatic). It's handgun hunting not small rifle hunting. If you put a red dot or scope on it, barrel length doesn't matter in terms of accuracy from a longer sight radius.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Freedom Arms in 454 shooting lighter bullets. If distance comes into play, scope it up. Mt FA shot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with a Leupold on it. I don't use scopes on handguns any longer. I like the sport of getting "up close and personal".

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I recommend a DA 357 magnum with 6" barrel. Or a plain old 1911 45 acp. I've harvested deer with both and they both dropped in their tracks without a step. Open sights too. I really like 45 LC as well as 44 magnum.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
X frame revolvers are huge. You could probably carry a scoped Contender on a sling and a back up revolver and have less total weight. My current favorite revolver is a S&W Model 69 with a micro red dot. I can use it as an "always" gun when woods bumming. Crazy accurate and recoil is surprisingly manageable.

The 4 1/4" barrel is not long enough to be legal for hunting in some areas though....

Please don't feed the trolls!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I love my 8 3/8” 460…..but that said, if your Whitetail hunts are in pretty thick stuff and shots are fairly short ( likely 100 and under), the 5” model would be a great choice.

I would really love to have one for general purpose use when I’m not hunting with my present 460! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You can use a lot of stuff .. most is more than you need if you're stopping at deer, not hunting bear or elk or anything else over 300 pounds. I am pretty heavily invested in .44 and .45 components but if I had to start over from scratch with a blank slate I'd grab a 6-1/2" barreled Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum and never look back. I could make .357 work. 10mm, too, in a revolver.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

You’re overthinking it.

If you’re not killing deer with a TC, then you probably won’t kill them with anything else. But this is the fire, and we never tell anyone to not buy a gun, so here’s your answer:

1. Get a 357, 41, 44 Special, 45 Colt, or 44 Magnum revolver with a barrel that’s four to eight inches long. I like Rugers and Smiths but others will work.

2. Load a relatively heavy bullet (160 in the 357, 210 in the 41, and 250 in the 44s and 45) at about 1,100 fps.

3. Study how deer live and learn how to get close to them.

4. Work on your shooting. The ability to hit a pie plate with every shot at 50 yards will put a lot more meat on the table than buying a revolver that takes several different cartridges.

But that brings us back to the issue of skill. Why not figure out how to cut down your reloading time with the TC?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by okie john

You’re overthinking it.

If you’re not killing deer with a TC, then you probably won’t kill them with anything else. But this is the fire, and we never tell anyone to not buy a gun, so here’s your answer:

1. Get a 357, 41, 44 Special, 45 Colt, or 44 Magnum revolver with a barrel that’s four to eight inches long. I like Rugers and Smiths but others will work.

2. Load a relatively heavy bullet (160 in the 357, 210 in the 41, and 250 in the 44s and 45) at about 1,100 fps.

3. Study how deer live and learn how to get close to them.

4. Work on your shooting. The ability to hit a pie plate with every shot at 50 yards will put a lot more meat on the table than buying a revolver that takes several different cartridges.

But that brings us back to the issue of skill. Why not figure out how to cut down your reloading time with the TC?

Okie John

John, there is absolutely nothing arguable with your statement except……maybe he merely wants a 450 S&W! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

What shooting distance are you anticipating?
Are you hunting from a stand?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
.357 mag, 10mm, 41 mag, 44 mag, or 45 Colt.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.