Hop To
Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by memtb
We must determine our definition of “long distance”! Here are my personal requirements….. An accurate rifle, using a fairly high BC bullet upwards of .30 caliber, that will give adequate expansion at the pre-determined distance limit involved, lots of trigger time with said rifle, and carefully choosing good atmospheric conditions! When you’ve satisfied all those parameters……having, as in my case, over 2000 ft/pounds of remaining energy at my personal limit of 600 yards is desirable! memtb

Here's to ya.

2000 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, even for a heavy rifle, bumps me out of precision shooting.

1500 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, with a 9.5 lb rifle, is about it, and not all day long, either.

But the .270 Win. can do that, if one is careful.

GR

FPE is irealavant quote such shows ignorance

Energy/Impact Velocity/Bullet Construction/Shot Placement - are the only things a hunter has.

... so your opinion is irrelevant.

GR

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...Would like to hear about GA's, "The formulas used to determine bullet selection and impact velocity, on game inside that range, have proven themselves over a lifetime of hunting."

What does a "know-it-all" need with applied physics?

Thanks for the drama.

GR

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
... so your opinion is irreverent.

GR

Diction … is a crutch.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It’s a 9 pounder, and the recoil gets your attention! I’m certainly not good for more than 20 to 30 (30 is pushing it) rounds at a sitting with full house loads. I’d prefer to keep the round count under 10…..as the shoulder is pretty sore the next day! It’s shot very little with full house loads…..that’s what light loads in it and small bore rifles are for! memtb

Found out long ago that, for me, precision field shooting drops off when recoil gets in the 20's.

The .270/150 gr./2800 fps. is an all day load for me in an 8.5 lb rifle.

The .30/180 gr./2700 fps. is not.

Can still shoot it pretty well, same as the 9.3mm/286 gr., but not with the precision necessary for < 1.5 MOA in the field.

So, was thinkin' to speed up a high BC .277" 150/165 gr. using the .270 Win. case, or find a suitable 6.5mm cartridge.

The 6.5x55mm can't match it to 600 yards.

The 6.5 PRC will, but the fat case is problematic in the candidate M700 rifle.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

GR

Diction … is a crutch.

So you are useful after all.

Who knew.

GR

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

GR

Diction … is a crutch.

Who knew.

GR

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

GR

Diction … is a crutch.

Who knew.

GR

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Animated gifs.

Guess your hand-puppet clown routine doesn't translate well.

Work on it.

GR

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Absolutely, professor.

Stay reverent; and see what else you can troll up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
...People have no business starting their long range shooting learning curve the way you are determined to do so. Starting out knowing nothing, thinking you know everything is a big problem, as you will finally figure it out with experience...

The point of this thread, professor, is to determine what is necessary for shooting from 4-600 yards at game... versus < 400 yards.

Already have a scoped rifle that handles < 400 yards just fine, and am a competent rifleman out to well beyond that.

Thinking about building a hunting rifle good for 600 yards.

Started a thread RE: that.

Got mostly attitude and emotional outbursts so far.

Was maybe expecting some practical advise.

Thanks.

GR

You don't need to build a rifle for 600 yards, rookie. Any will do to learn on. You need to learn to shoot one that you have already.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lack of woodmanship.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
+10 ^^^^^^ "you can never get too close" Fred Bear.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SKane
I think he's a troll, volleying the General Big Game and the Ask the Gunwriters forums.
It's Lee24 with a side of ElkSlayer91 and a sanctimonious dash of Savage_99.

Shares Don’s intellect - and wit.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Participation in local precision matches is probably the most important part of the equation. It will make you a better rifleman and a better Hunter.

Agreed, you are 100% correct. I stated that it is still Good advise. Shooting in matches will definitely make you a better rifleman and a better Hunter. I haven't shot in a shooting competition since 1980. It's been a while. I was just trying to convey the fact that one can begin to learn some long range skills before adding the pressure and time constraints of competition.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
We must determine our definition of “long distance”! Here are my personal requirements….. An accurate rifle, using a fairly high BC bullet upwards of .30 caliber, that will give adequate expansion at the pre-determined distance limit involved, lots of trigger time with said rifle, and carefully choosing good atmospheric conditions! When you’ve satisfied all those parameters……having, as in my case, over 2000 ft/pounds of remaining energy at my personal limit of 600 yards is desirable! memtb

Here's to ya.

2000 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, even for a heavy rifle, bumps me out of precision shooting.

1500 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, with a 9.5 lb rifle, is about it, and not all day long, either.

GR

Energy/Impact Velocity/Bullet Construction/Shot Placement - are the only things a hunter has.

GR

You're long on theory and devoid of experience

Any thing from a 243 and up will work just fine with proper [bleep] placement which brings us the the lone requirement which is accuracy
Just watch a few videos of the 243 dropping elk in their tracks at 800+ yards

Last edited by jwp475; 08/18/22.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Here's to ya.

GR

GR

Mine is more than opinion

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's an impressive shot for sure, can't take anything away from that shooter and the results....still, nobody posts the videos of their F'ups and the ones that ran off crippled.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 257Bob
That's an impressive shot for sure, can't take anything away from that shooter and the results....still, nobody posts the videos of their F'ups and the ones that ran off crippled.

Accuracy keeps them from running off. The video also shows the fallacy of FPE. FPE doesn't kill but holes through vital organs does kill

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Great video, Thanks for posting

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 3-9 scope I use on my .270 for up to 350 yards isn't enough for me at 600 yards. I like at least 12 power at that distance, but around 18 power is better (for me), a 16 oz trigger, a 27 inch barrel and an 11 pound plus rifle. I use Bergers at that distance on medium size game because of their superb accuracy in my rifle, decent bc, and their emphatic kills at that distance on medium size game.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/18/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
...People have no business starting their long range shooting learning curve the way you are determined to do so. Starting out knowing nothing, thinking you know everything is a big problem, as you will finally figure it out with experience...

The point of this thread, professor, is to determine what is necessary for shooting from 4-600 yards at game... versus < 400 yards.

Already have a scoped rifle that handles < 400 yards just fine, and am a competent rifleman out to well beyond that.

Thinking about building a hunting rifle good for 600 yards.

Started a thread RE: that.

Got mostly attitude and emotional outbursts so far.

Was maybe expecting some practical advise.

Thanks.

GR

You don't need to build a rifle for 600 yards, rookie. Any will do to learn on. You need to learn to shoot one that you have already.

Not happy w/ my std. hunting rifle/loads past 400.

So am looking into a 600 yd. capable rifle/load.

You might be of some use in that regard, if you ever grow up.

GR

Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (17CalFan, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,894
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.