Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's good.

This past spring, a friend in his upper 70's, fell and broke his hip and leg at the barn, 1/4 mile from house and he had walked to barn, so no truck. He knew he had broke his leg, but didn't realize a hip was broken. Took 2x4's and some rope and set the leg best he could. Tried to get up on tractor to drive home, but couldn't, so he used another 2x4 for a crutch and managed to get most of the way home. Crawled the rest of the way. He beat on the door and got his wife's attention, she wanted to call ambulance, but he told her to pull the truck around. Somehow he managed to get in the bed of the truck and she drove him to the doc. Operated on his leg and hip, and he's back to walking.

I asked him what he learned from this, hoping he'd say to keep a phone handy. His answer...... I'm too old to be walking rafters. He was replacing the tin roof on the back of the barn when he fell.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can relate.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Oldman03
That's good.

This past spring, a friend in his upper 70's, fell and broke his hip and leg at the barn, 1/4 mile from house and he had walked to barn, so no truck. He knew he had broke his leg, but didn't realize a hip was broken. Took 2x4's and some rope and set the leg best he could. Tried to get up on tractor to drive home, but couldn't, so he used another 2x4 for a crutch and managed to get most of the way home. Crawled the rest of the way. He beat on the door and got his wife's attention, she wanted to call ambulance, but he told her to pull the truck around. Somehow he managed to get in the bed of the truck and she drove him to the doc. Operated on his leg and hip, and he's back to walking.

I asked him what he learned from this, hoping he'd say to keep a phone handy. His answer...... I'm too old to be walking rafters. He was replacing the tin roof on the back of the barn when he fell.

Tough old bird, he is.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Drs and pain scale.

You should see their face when asked, "Are you talking a linear scale or logarythmic scale?"

I have not gotten an articulate answer yet. So I still don't know.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had an Uncle that was a logger and he had the saw kick back on him working alone of course. It cut him from the corner of the mouth, down his neck, across his chest and the saw kicked away when it hit his belt buckle. He drove himself to a family members house and they took him to the hospital. He made her stop at the gas station on the way because all the blood had soaked into his pack of Camel's. As I recall, around 200 stitches and another 200 staples plus a tube in the shoulder.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always ask the doctor, “On a scale of 1 to natural childbirth, how much is this gonna hurt?”

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 160user
I had an Uncle that was a logger and he had the saw kick back on him working alone of course. It cut him from the corner of the mouth, down his neck, across his chest and the saw kicked away when it hit his belt buckle. He drove himself to a family members house and they took him to the hospital. He made her stop at the gas station on the way because all the blood had soaked into his pack of Camel's. As I recall, around 200 stitches and another 200 staples plus a tube in the shoulder.

Another tough one!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Reminds me of the story years ago about the farm kid who got both arms ripped off by a PTO and nobody was home to help him. Somehow he got back to the house and called 911 or something. He lived.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reminds me of my little excursion with DVT's. The ER Doc explained to the redhead that if it was DVT's, and he pushed "here", it would be excruciatingly painful.

Didn't really hurt much at all.

Confused the little doc a bunch, though, but he eventually got the diagnosis right.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My docs and I go round and round about that stuff.

When I whacked my toe with the mower, before I hopped 50 yards over to the neighbor's to ask for a ride (quicker than waiting for the bambalance to come from town and back the 26 miles). I had gone in my RV and grabbed a quart of rubbing alcohol and doused the toe.

Friggen doctor at the ER says " Dang, that toe is awfully clean for having been hit with a mower"

I told him what I did with the isopropyl.

His words " Gee, that must have hurt"

I said, not as bad as hitting it with the mower.

Silly doctors.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Doctors, most are intelligent, but many don't have common sense.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My dad fell off a ladder and broke his ankle

Got up finished the job , came home put an ice pack on it went back to work the next day.

9 months later he went to the with my mom for her appointment and asked the doc to take a look at his foot because it was bothering him, The doc felt his foot and ankle told him he had to get xray'ed.

Doc asked when my dad fell.
Dad told the Doc.
The Doc had to re break it to set it right.

The old guys have different pain threshold that the wimps do these days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back when we were in the furniture business, I had an elderly gentleman come in looking for a new mattress. I was showing him beds and he said he was having back pain and thought he should buy a new mattress as his was over forty years old.

He was a crusty old guy and said his hip was also giving him trouble. I showed him some good supporting beds and he rejected them all as too expensive and wanted the cheapest one we had. He said he was old so he didn't want to spend much money because he didn't think he would last another forty years. I laughed and asked how old he was if he didn't mind saying. He says ninety one. I told him he looked really good for his age and hip and back pain is pretty normal as we age. He said he was fine up till last week when he fell off the roof. I asked what were you doing on the roof and he said replacing shingles, what else would you be up there for?

He paid for the cheapest, but I sent him a much better one. Never saw him again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
People are funny. What pain is to some is breakfast to another.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The kid mentioned above got caught in a pot from the tractor. Both arms gone. He made it to the house and got a pen in his mouth to call for help. He then went and waited in the bathtub so he wouldn’t get more blood on the floor. He made it. Farm boy from here in North Dakota. Edk

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
About twenty five years ago, my Mother married a man two years my junior. That's all well and fine, except the guy had not worked a day in over ten years at that time. Thirty five years now.

He had been driving a log truck until he broke a binder and lost an eye. So he lived on disability, workers comp, and mooching off good natured folk.

He was not going to really take advantage of Mom much, as all she had in the world was her 14x70 mobile home, an acre of gravel bar to sit it on, and about $300/month in SSI.

But anyway, a few years later, they are both firmly addicted to prescription opioids. Mom calls me one day and says they need a ride to the ER. Her husband is in unbearable pain. He is constipated and has not has a BM in five or six days.

I picked them up and drove them twenty miles to the hospital, and sat beside Mom in the ER for the entire day. Her husband cracked wise and told jokes all during the ride. He laughed at whatever was on the TV in the ER room. Until the nurses walked in.

What's your pain level?

OMG, It's unbearable. It's 10!!!!!!

Dr quizzed him: It says here you are vegan. How can you be constipated on a vegan diet?

I don't know, but I am. It hurts so bad. Can you give something?????

I sure can, MiraLax!

I about fell out of my chair.

I had never witnessed opioid seeking behavior before. But it was obvious the Dr. knew exactly what he was seeing.

And since they were both on Medicaid until Mom passed away. You and I got to foot the bill for his day in the ER.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
About twenty five years ago, my Mother married a man two years my junior. That's all well and fine, except the guy had not worked a day in over ten years at that time. Thirty five years now.

He had been driving a log truck until he broke a binder and lost an eye. So he lived on disability, workers comp, and mooching off good natured folk.

He was not going to really take advantage of Mom much, as all she had in the world was her 14x70 mobile home, an acre of gravel bar to sit it on, and about $300/month in SSI.

But anyway, a few years later, they are both firmly addicted to prescription opioids. Mom calls me one day and says they need a ride to the ER. Her husband is in unbearable pain. He is constipated and has not has a BM in five or six days.

I picked them up and drove them twenty miles to the hospital, and sat beside Mom in the ER for the entire day. Her husband cracked wise and told jokes all during the ride. He laughed at whatever was on the TV in the ER room. Until the nurses walked in.

What's your pain level?

OMG, It's unbearable. It's 10!!!!!!

Dr quizzed him: It says here you are vegan. How can you be constipated on a vegan diet?

I don't know, but I am. It hurts so bad. Can you give something?????

I sure can, MiraLax!

I about fell out of my chair.

I had never witnessed opioid seeking behavior before. But it was obvious the Dr. knew exactly what he was seeing.

And since they were both on Medicaid until Mom passed away. You and I got to foot the bill for his day in the ER.

Then you have my wife, 8 back surgeries, c section and a few other surgeries and refuses opioids. She was in ER today for a kidney issue and refused morphine.

Some folks ....I don't know. Some just don't know pain.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
One of my cousins, when we were out on the dirt bikes. He would take the inevitable spill. And lie there and piss and moan and nearly cry, at 25 years of age.

"But pain hurts ME."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 26 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.