B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
...People have no business starting their long range shooting learning curve the way you are determined to do so. Starting out knowing nothing, thinking you know everything is a big problem, as you will finally figure it out with experience...

The point of this thread, professor, is to determine what is necessary for shooting from 4-600 yards at game... versus < 400 yards.

Already have a scoped rifle that handles < 400 yards just fine, and am a competent rifleman out to well beyond that.

Thinking about building a hunting rifle good for 600 yards.

Started a thread RE: that.

Got mostly attitude and emotional outbursts so far.

Was maybe expecting some practical advise.

Thanks.

GR

You don't need to build a rifle for 600 yards, rookie. Any will do to learn on. You need to learn to shoot one that you have already.

Not happy w/ my std. hunting rifle/loads past 400.

So am looking into a 600 yd. capable rifle/load.

You might be of some use in that regard, if you ever grow up.

GR

I think maybe what he is saying is update your current scope to a capable optic of dialing past 400 yards. IF your load is truly good at 400, then it will work at 600 for accuracy and learning, your optics are the weak link. You don't need to get a crazy set up to get out to 600 yards really. If your loads aren't sufficient for 400 yard accuracy, a bullet swap will get you where you wanna be, but your current rifle is probably just fine and there are some decent bullets out there to train with.

Last edited by beretzs; 08/18/22.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by memtb
We must determine our definition of “long distance”! Here are my personal requirements….. An accurate rifle, using a fairly high BC bullet upwards of .30 caliber, that will give adequate expansion at the pre-determined distance limit involved, lots of trigger time with said rifle, and carefully choosing good atmospheric conditions! When you’ve satisfied all those parameters……having, as in my case, over 2000 ft/pounds of remaining energy at my personal limit of 600 yards is desirable! memtb

Here's to ya.

2000 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, even for a heavy rifle, bumps me out of precision shooting.

1500 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, with a 9.5 lb rifle, is about it, and not all day long, either.

But the .270 Win. can do that, if one is careful.

GR

FPE is irealavant quote such shows ignorance

Energy/Impact Velocity/Bullet Construction/Shot Placement - are the only things a hunter has.

... so your opinion is irrelevant.

GR

You're long on theory and devoid of experience

Any thing from a 243 and up will work just fine with proper [bleep] placement which brings us the the lone requirement which is accuracy
Just watch a few videos of the 243 dropping elk in their tracks at 800+ yards

That may be.

Why the thread.

But relying on perfect shot placement with marginal rounds on game animals... is not for me.

You are more than welcome to.

My floor is a heavy 6.5mm, and like a heavy .277" even better.

GR

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
We must determine our definition of “long distance”! Here are my personal requirements….. An accurate rifle, using a fairly high BC bullet upwards of .30 caliber, that will give adequate expansion at the pre-determined distance limit involved, lots of trigger time with said rifle, and carefully choosing good atmospheric conditions! When you’ve satisfied all those parameters……having, as in my case, over 2000 ft/pounds of remaining energy at my personal limit of 600 yards is desirable! memtb

Here's to ya.

2000 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, even for a heavy rifle, bumps me out of precision shooting.

1500 ft-lbs. at 600 yards, with a 9.5 lb rifle, is about it, and not all day long, either.

GR

Energy/Impact Velocity/Bullet Construction/Shot Placement - are the only things a hunter has.

GR

Any thing from a 243 and up will work just fine with proper [bleep] placement which brings us the the lone requirement which is accuracy

That may be.

Why the thread.

But relying on perfect shot placement with marginal rounds on game animals... is not for me.

GR

Are you an idiot, a troll or both?

No round works without proper shot placement

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
...People have no business starting their long range shooting learning curve the way you are determined to do so. Starting out knowing nothing, thinking you know everything is a big problem, as you will finally figure it out with experience...

The point of this thread, professor, is to determine what is necessary for shooting from 4-600 yards at game... versus < 400 yards.

Already have a scoped rifle that handles < 400 yards just fine, and am a competent rifleman out to well beyond that.

Thanks.

GR

You don't need to build a rifle for 600 yards, rookie. Any will do to learn on. You need to learn to shoot one that you have already.

Not happy w/ my std. hunting rifle/loads past 400.

So am looking into a 600 yd. capable rifle/load.

You might be of some use in that regard, if you ever grow up.

GR

I think maybe what he is saying is update your current scope to a capable optic of dialing past 400 yards. IF your load is truly good at 400, then it will work at 600 for accuracy and learning, your optics are the weak link. You don't need to get a crazy set up to get out to 600 yards really. If your loads aren't sufficient for 400 yard accuracy, a bullet swap will get you where you wanna be, but your current rifle is probably just fine and there are some decent bullets out there to train with.

Well... a bullet swap and "dialing" scope is really all I'm after anyway, based on the .270 Win..

The longer/heavier 1:8 twist Bbl. will stabilize the ABLR bullets. The 150 gr. better, and 165 gr. at all.

24" length will help increase MV w/ RL-26 or similar powder, w/o making the rifle into a truck axle.

Would also start w/ the old 3-9 scope, and see how that went, w/ an eye to a modern long range "dialing" rig of some kind.

Not a big fan of over-magnification, as a solid 8" hit is all that's necessary, and more than enough just magnifies problems.

So, nothin' really "crazy," except most of the responses.

GR

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd just load some 150 ABLR's in your current rig and see where you're at. The little bit of BC you're giving up with your 10 twist won't make a hill of beans difference for learning purposes.

There are a bunch of good 10X or less scopes that dial correctly and honestly, for what you're doing a plain old 6 or 10X SS MQ is one of the best teachers out there.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Here's to ya.

GR

GR

That may be.

Why the thread.

GR

Find an Adult to help you w/ my responses.

... as "Shot Placement" is one of the four listed.

There are places in an 8" shot zone that a .243" at 600 yards won't handle very well.

You go ahead and gamble.

GR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always interesting - ask a question/look for advice and then argue with everyone that gives it. Seems like you already know the answer so why the thread?

Me

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Here's to ya.

GR

GR

That may be.

Why the thread.

GR

Find an Adult to help you w/ my responses.

... as "Shot Placement" is one of the four listed.

There are places in an 8" shot zone that a .243" at 600 yards won't handle very well.

You go ahead and gamble.

GR

If it's in the vital it dam sure will handke it. How would you know their are spors in the vitals that a 243 will not handle?

Answer: you don't because you are an idiot.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
I'd just load some 150 ABLR's in your current rig and see where you're at. The little bit of BC you're giving up with your 10 twist won't make a hill of beans difference for learning purposes.

There are a bunch of good 10X or less scopes that dial correctly and honestly, for what you're doing a plain old 6 or 10X SS MQ is one of the best teachers out there.

Have had several shooters tell me they couldn't get the ABLR to shoot well where we hunt.

Wind is the biggest factor at 600, if a laser is used for the range and you have the rifle dope.

Know next to nothing about modern dialing scopes for long range shooting.

Have a 2.5-8x36mm on my current rifle and that has been more than adequate to 400 yds.

As stated, an 8" target is the design spec.

With a 1 MOA rifle/load, that's a little better than 0.5 MOA for the shooter.

Dial in the load a little better, and that frees up the shooter a little.

Not shooting the M700 project candidate anymore, and this would be an interesting project, given the existing rifle (sub-MOA) and cartridge familiarity.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Always interesting - ask a question/look for advice and then argue with everyone that gives it. Seems like you already know the answer so why the thread?

For help w/ those things 4-600 yard hunting related that are unknown to me.

Adolescent tantrums wasn't part of the OP query.

Have anything to contribute that was in the OP?

Or, are you just here to feel better.

GR

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Have had several shooters tell me they couldn't get the ABLR to shoot well where we hunt.

GR

Why do you listen to what they said, you don't listen to anyone here after asking the question

Yep an idiot troll

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Thanks.

GR

Well, ever since Burns whimpered and slithered away from this site, camuglia has actually given some great information and insight on various subjects. You are obviously too dense to realize that he gave you some very sound advice in his response to you. You keep saying you're a very competent and accomplished shooter/hunter, but lip service don't count. Just sayin'.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
...If it's in the vital it dam sure will handke it. How would you know their are spors in the vitals that a 243 will not handle?

So, a 103 gr. ELD-X, w/ a MV of 2960 fps, has an impact velocity of 1970 fps and 885 ft-lbs of energy at 600 yards.

A 90 gr. ELD-X, w/ a MV of 3150 fps, has an impact velocity of 1895 fps and 720 ft-lbs of energy.

Lightweight bullets w/ pistol caliber impact velocity/energy.

How far will they run?

... in a swamp or thicket?

You go ahead and gamble.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Thanks.

GR

Well, ever since Burns whimpered and slithered away from this site, camuglia has actually given some great information and insight on various subjects. You are obviously too dense to realize that he gave you some very sound advice in his response to you. You keep saying you're a very competent and accomplished shooter/hunter, but lip service don't count. Just sayin'.

Say all you want.

It obviously makes you feel better.

Means nothin' to me, though.

... as was your contribution.

This place is like a kindergarten.

Ha!

GR

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Old hunter says: "If you cannot get within 200 yards of any big game animal, you should hire a real hunter to show you how."

Remember that Finnish sniper with the most kills of anyone ? Killed most with a subgun ----- had to be close.

Fred Bear killed everything with a RECURVE BOW. The defense rests.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
...If it's in the vital it dam sure will handke it. How would you know their are spors in the vitals that a 243 will not handle?

So, a 103 gr. ELD-X, w/ a MV of 2960 fps, has an impact velocity of 1970 fps and 885 ft-lbs of energy at 600 yards.

A 90 gr. ELD-X, w/ a MV of 3150 fps, has an impact velocity of 1895 fps and 720 ft-lbs of energy.

How far will they run?

You go ahead and gamble.

GR
Anyone that blindly quotes ft-lbs of energy as a measuring stick for effectiveness I pretty much disregard. It doesn’t translate well to real world hunting. As others have said. Stick a bullet through the vitals with enough impact speed for the particular bullet to expand and its end of story.

People that come looking for answers and then turn into know it all experts when they don’t get the answer that they want are enjoying.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How far will they run?

You go ahead and gamble.

GR

You are without a doubt an idiot troll

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

How far will they run?

You go ahead and gamble.

GR
Anyone that blindly quotes ft-lbs of energy as a measuring stick for effectiveness I pretty much disregard. It doesn’t translate well to real world hunting. As others have said. Stick a bullet through the vitals with enough impact speed for the particular bullet to expand and its end of story.

People that come looking for answers and then turn into know it all experts when they don’t get the answer that they want are enjoying.

Exactly 💯% fact

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GR[/quote] People that come looking for answers and then turn into know it all experts when they don’t get the answer that they want are enjoying.[/quote]

The more GA posts, the more I believe he's a "victim" of the Dunning-Kruger Effect--which isn't uncommon on Internet forums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 257Bob
That's an impressive shot for sure, can't take anything away from that shooter and the results....still, nobody posts the videos of their F'ups and the ones that ran off crippled.

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 66 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,696
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.