-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use boiling water in a very clean Pyrex container to dissolve sugar. Sugar can/may contain mycotoxins and bacteria that are not helpful to hummers.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
I suppose recommending placing your feeder 60ft from your bench rest wouldn't be a positive thing to add to this thread?

A bluebird built a nest on the rafters of our 5-stand shooting house this Spring. Kept flying back and forth to it while all the geezers were blasting away. Maybe she was deaf.

A yellow-billed cuckoo often flies past right in front as well while we shoot. The ones around my house fly away if I even look in their general direction.

Go figure.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RUM7
Thanks Rocky,
I just assumed the packets that came along with the feeder would work.

I'll switch it up.

Also, If your hummers aren't drinking the feeder empty after 5-7 days, you may need to empty, clean, and refill. Sugar water hanging in the hot Georgia summer will get funky in that period and the birds quit hitting it.

Do make your own nectar substitute with sugar.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got mom, dad, and two youngsters sucking the feeder dry fast. It's been a record hot summer, and they come at daylight and dusk. They usually leave the end of August to early September when we get our first cold snaps.

I hate to see the little bombers go. They get to know us well and will hover close and perch close.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jerry_Lundegaard
The ones in my yard are too busy fighting each other. Nonstop action, actually fun to watch. They’ll occasionally dive bomb me as am out in the garden. Guess they think it’s funny. Haha

Same here. I have 6 feeders out and lately ever one has been guarded by a male. If any other hummingbird come near it gets chased off. It gets a little sporting at times. The little buggers can get pretty loud at times too. They're all trying to bulk up for their journey south. Lots of them buzzing around now. Quite amusing!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
We have Anna's and Rufous here. About 10 or more now. Sometimes see 6 on the same feeder. I don't like the bullies. I love birds and bird watching but keep kidding my wife that I am going to get a badminton racquet to swat the bullies.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Got too many ruby throats for the bullies to keep them off, even though they try. Have 2 32oz feeders 10 feet apart and they empty every 4 days. Have up to six on the feeders and another 6-10 buzzing around. Bumper crop this year.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Her, the ruby throats show up in late August.
They are the bullies. Most are black-chinned.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My clear panel polycarbonate open air sunroom claims about 2, sometimes 3 per season.

They fly straight in at ground level and then fly up into the open beams and rafters toward the sky. Buzz around for hours beating themselves against the panels until they expire. Imagine a 24x24 green house with open side walls.

My eve ends are clear boxed in too. If they’s just come down to 8ft height, they can fly out to the garden and grill area.

I could stop feeding and try to eliminate the draw. But they are here for the Rose of Sharon, wall of petunias and crape myrtles

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not one pic.....

Not one video

3 page thread.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sheesh...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
My clear panel polycarbonate open air sunroom claims about 2, sometimes 3 per season.

They fly straight in at ground level and then fly up into the open beams and rafters toward the sky. Buzz around for hours beating themselves against the panels until they expire. Imagine a 24x24 green house with open side walls.

My eve ends are clear boxed in too. If they’s just come down to 8ft height, they can fly out to the garden and grill area.

I could stop feeding and try to eliminate the draw. But they are here for the Rose of Sharon, wall of petunias and crape myrtles
You could hang something red below your eve ends. Only hang it when you have one that is stuck. That works for me when I get one in the garage.

Last edited by Tyrone; 08/19/22.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In garages, it's that red handle on your door opener release that lures them in. I removed mine and tied a loop knot to grab.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
In garages, it's that red handle on your door opener release that lures them in. I removed mine and tied a loop knot to grab.
A Bubba Wallace noose? The FBI should be showing up soon.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Happened upon a hummingbird trapped in a black and yellow garden spider's fancy web once in wife's flower garden. Thought it was a big moth at first glance but a closer look saw it really was a little hummer. Pulled it off but it was practically lifeless, couldn't even hold it's head up. Managed to get most of the web off it and tried forcing it little beak into nectar feeder. After a half dozen or so tries it slowly started to drink and showing signs that it might survive. Few more shots of nectar and it was back to it's old self again. Opened my hand and off it flew...

Recalled times while squirrel hunting seeing countless hummingbirds feeding on wild flower nectar. With spider webs so common in the woods, it occurred to me that most likely hummingbirds often get trapped in spider webs and just die there from starvation since they must eat so frequently. Also, hummingbirds use spider web 'silk' in making their nests.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, it's a sad day for me. The bulk of my beloved hummies have departed.

Yesterday, I saw as many as eight of them swarming each of my feeders. Today, I saw only two birds total.

Historically, they have migrated right after the August full moon, but this time the full was quite early. They stuck around about 10 more days - to my delight and pleasure.

I wish them well on their long journey south and await the first male arriving next April.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're just starting to get wound up tight here. We have 6 feeders and they started fighting over all of them yesterday. Go figure - it's the same 6 or so birds that got along (mostly) all summer.

And my hummingbird pictures all suck. I had a video of a mating dance happening all around Mrs. Geno somewhere but that was about three phones back - lol.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
didn't realize they left this early. I only have 2 that hang around. Was hoping to see them a few more days

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
We had a dozen or so all summer. Down to 2, both female. I hate to see them go

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For whatever reason, there seems to be a hummingbird bonanza this year, both at the house in the city and down at the farm.

Just in the past few weeks, I've started seeing hummers nearly every day. We haven't been feeding them-- been too busy with Chemo Camp, etc.

One thing worth noting: these hummers are generally 2/3rds scale from what we normally see. Are these fledglings fresh from the nest or what?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 3,018 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,617
Posts18,492,642
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.