Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I've had time to consider the suggestions made to me here awhile back and I have decided to sell my unused (& unfired) 1953 Model G. in .250.

I'm simply not a "collector" of such things and I'd rather put the funds into another weapon that I'd actually use. I spoke yesterday with the fellow who'd sold it to my now-deceased buddy (the owner of Tommyguns), and he confirmed that it'd likely be at least worth what was paid for it back in 2017. He suggested I list it on Guns International to get the most value for it. Does that sound about right to you folks?

'Tis better to burn out than it is to rust.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd say GunBroker would net you the maximum amount.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reality check:

There is no such thing as an "unfired" rifle. Got box & paper work?
99G's were no made in 1953. 99EG?
You'll get the same money selling direct without middleman, fees, ect.
Sell at auction just means the buyer will pay more which the middleman takes and you get the same money as if you sold directly.
Good luck.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you already have a set price in mind you should offer it here first. Cut out all of the middle men and deal with good people for a fair price.

If you want to take a chance at the auction and a big runup then go for it.

Depends on what your disposition is I guess.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
What he said

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I can't see anyway that anyone here is going to pay the maximum amount he could get on GB. Especially with many of the members here complaining about how high prices are for them these days.

Unless things have changed, I believe if you sold a gun for 1750$ on GB you'd only have to give GB $67.50. That's not much money for the audience you'd probably attract by using the service. Don't trust my math though, look into it yourselves.

But this gun is either an EG or F in 250, so an uncommon gun at best. So it should attract a lot of attention no matter where it is listed.

Last edited by damnesia; 08/19/22.
L
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
damnesia: My apologies, yes it is an EG. I've described it here in earlier posts (and even posted some photography), but here it is again...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][img]
serial number 8352xx

I inherited this gun from a dear friend and had big plans for it's use, but... it's a bit too-nice for what I had in mind. After several discussions here with the resident experts, I've decided to move it along. My buddy paid $1,850 for it back in 2017. After speaking with the fellow he got it from then (he's a regular M99 dealer on GI and he confirmed it's value in the current marketplace). If somebody here has any interest, I'd be happy to discuss it. Send me a note here and we'll discuss the matter.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/19/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1:14 barrel twist?

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
L
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Pre-1960 so....yes, 1:14 barrel twist (according to the resident experts here).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty cool with that serial number!

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by damnesia
I can't see anyway that anyone here is going to pay the maximum amount he could get on GB. Especially with many of the members here complaining about how high prices are for them these days.

Ignorance is bliss.
Speaking for ones self rather than judging others is a good policy.

The OP's rifle is a nice one. Is it $1850 nice? Not to me, but maybe to someone.
Glad the OP got some education here and tossed it out here.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Who was judging? The OP's question was about getting maximum value for it. Throwing out a price and having one person bite isn't the best way to get the max price on anything. There are frequently discussions on here about how high prices are for 99s on GB. There is even a rule on the forum against posting live auctions so as to not drive up prices for members that may be potentially bidding on the item. While I understand the concept, it is for members get a better deal on something. A rifle is worth what the market will bear and keeping potential demand away from an auction is under cutting said market.

And calling me ignorant? GFY

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
It's sad to think this (or any run of the mill mass produced rifle) being stuck in some collection because it may be unfired.
Reminds me of the car auctions where some guy dies and all his Corvettes with 6 miles on them are auctioned off.
Wonder if those same people are virgins so as to be unused ?

I hope whomever buys it puts a scope on it an heads into the woods.

That's where a 99 belongs !

Driven every sunny day !

Attached Images
IMG_4964.jpeg (20.7 KB, 133 downloads)

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd put it on GI and see what happens. When things don't sell that generally means the price has to come down. Put it on GI and give it a month. You've got nothing to loose and everything to gain. And if it doesn't sell there you can either adjust the price accordingly or bring it on over here and list it in the classifieds. Regardless of what you do, selling items like firerms are just fishing trips and you keep at it untill you get a bite or you give up.

As for price, who knows these days. My old rule of thumb was that a 99 in 250 generally got you about 150 more than the same rifle in 300. But that was just a few short years ago when I stepped aside to let a then new member snag a damn nice post war 300 99R (which I was just told was determined to be an RS) for 430-bucks (circa 2017). Today, I'd venture a guess that same rifle might fetch maybe 1300 on a good day.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Put it up here put your price on let it go for 1 week you have run it around here so

now put it up

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by FUG1899
Put it up here put your price on let it go for 1 week you have run it around here so

now put it up
Sure wish we had a like button.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Originally Posted by FUG1899
Put it up here put your price on let it go for 1 week you have run it around here so now put it up
Sure wish we had a like button.
He did.

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
After several discussions here with the resident experts, I've decided to move it along. My buddy paid $1,850 for it back in 2017. After speaking with the fellow he got it from then (he's a regular M99 dealer on GI and he confirmed it's value in the current marketplace). If somebody here has any interest, I'd be happy to discuss it. Send me a note here and we'll discuss the matter.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 21, 46 invisible), 14,988 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,172
Posts18,543,035
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.