Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Not saying the 7mm and.270 will not do the job. Versatility to me is the wide selection of bullets weights to choose from. Of course the 300 savage, .308, up to the 300mags will use the same bullets. If I had one of the others, I could still do all the hunting I ever did. The simple answer is I started competition shooting with an 03 Springfield, graduated to a Garand, could not afford a M1 A. I had the Pre 64 Model 70 willed to be. I am comfortable, knowledgeable and confident with that cartridge.I have killed jack rabbits to moose with it and a lot in between.

The widest selection of bullet weights is a good point. It may well have. I question whether they do anything other cartridges can't, but definitely see what you mean.

About your experience with the cartridge, that's awesome! And by no means am I trying to say its not an excellent choice. I have quite a bit of affection for it too.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
HR IC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Igloo
So, I've read many times about how the 6.5 Creedmoor is overhyped, pushed by hyperbole, all marketing, people think they can slay great beasts a mile away just because they have one, etc. But it is rare I actually see anyone say these things!

Conversely, many discussions on the 30-06 feature someone saying something akin to "its the most versatile cartridge".

Perhaps my topic title is misleading. I don't mean to say it isn't very versatile. But what exactly can it do that some cartridges both older and slightly newer, cannot do? Is a 7x57 loaded with a 100-110 grain bullet for varmints up to a 175gr partition at 2600 fps not as versatile? It predates the 30-06. Perhaps the 30-06 gives you longer reach with those heavy projectiles, but I'm willing to bet a 270 Win with a 160gr Partition can kill any of the same animals as cleanly as a 30-06 can with heavy bullets.

I have a great affection for the 30-06 and have filled tags with it a fair few times. But isn't the versatility something that many other cartridges can give you? Does it warrant special mention? And does anyone actually use their 30-06 from groundhog to grizz? Cause if so, that's really cool.
.................Well if one were to choose to have only one rifle, then a 30-06 makes an excellent all around choice from deer up to and including elk, moose and the big bears (with the right bullets). So who on this forum has only one rifle? More than likely none at all. That one rifle only analogy imo justifies the ownership of a 30-06 better than any other reason. Because if I were to hunt say the big bears, then my 375 Ruger would get that nod. And I would not care how many more big bears were killed using the 30-06 (so they say) vs a 375. The 375 is clearly the better choice for the big bears or moose as would be my 338-378 Bee.

Smaller game like elk on down? Well my 28 Nosler in terms of retained down range energy, trajectories and overall ballistics out performs the good 'ol 30-06. That's not to say that the 30-06 cannot kill such game as some might suggest that I'm implying.

Imo, the 30-06 as excellent as it is, as versatile as it is and lesser expensive compared to others to use as it is,,,, regardless it is clearly outdated.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Think I'd rather shoot the big bear with your 28 Nosler and a good monometal than with any 30-06 load...but yeah.

I mean, just like no one really only has a 30-06, how many people will really take one after grizz (not having another more suitable rifle)? Must be a pretty small percentage. It just doesn't seem to be something I'd want to do on purpose.

But if it needed doing, not convinced there aren't calibers in its class that can't do it as well. Whether or not one considers that well enough in the first place.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
The 06’ seems about perfect to me for an African plains game rifle.

It is....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Think I'd rather shoot the big bear with your 28 Nosler and a good monometal than with any 30-06 load...but yeah.

I mean, just like no one really only has a 30-06, how many people will really take one after grizz (not having another more suitable rifle)? Must be a pretty small percentage. It just doesn't seem to be something I'd want to do on purpose.

But if it needed doing, not convinced there aren't calibers in its class that can't do it as well. Whether or not one considers that well enough in the first place.
..............Yep! One rifle only? Then a 30-06 is a great choice and it will get the job done.

Imo it is too generic and is well outdated in lieu of many other newer or more modern cartridge choices.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

It is....

What a beautiful rifle. I love to look at a rifle like that and imagine all of the adventures and stories behind it. That ol’ Wildebeest, between the scars and busted horn looks like it would have had some stories to tell too.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
The entertainment goes on.

As if any 140 gr .284 pill is better than a 250 gr .308 Woodleigh.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe

It is....

What a beautiful rifle. I love to look at a rifle like that and imagine all of the adventures and stories behind it. That ol’ Wildebeest, between the scars and busted horn looks like it would have had some stories to tell too.

My wife ( smaller pic) took a good full bag of plains game with that rifle and I did a little culling with it in Africa.
She has also used it in a number of deer, including this nice Mule Deer ....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The 30-06 is like the Nosler partition bullet .Everything else is compared to it. Some are better, some not so much

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UpThePole
The entertainment goes on.

As if any 140 gr .284 pill is better than a 250 gr .308 Woodleigh.

Someone in this thread said that a 140gr .284 cal bullet compares to a 250gr 308 cal Woodleigh? Where?

Good thing you set them straight! Everyone else complaining about the thread will agree with you, no doubt.

Oh, wait, you're the only person who mentioned any of that or bitched about the thread. But I find it interesting that you have a bias for the 30 cals, feel the need to state it, while at the same time calling the thread silly wink

BTW I am not seeing a 250gr 308 cal Woodleigh bullet in their current lineup on the site. Perhaps I missed it. But what real world application does it matter? What will a 308 cal 250 (or any weight you want) Woodleigh kill that a 175gr .284gr Woodleigh NOT kill?

Originally Posted by "Saddlesore"
The 30-06 is like the Nosler partition bullet .Everything else is compared to it. Some are better, some not so much

As far as "what all the others are judged by"...definitely deserving of that!

Great pics, ingwe. Looks like some amazing hunts there.

Last edited by Igloo; 08/20/22.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I don't think it would be an overstatement to say that I have more rifles chambered for the 30-06 Springfield cartridge than any other except possibly the 7mm-08 Remington, with another (30-06) coming in next week!

BTW, I try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey, no need to fix what certainly ain't broken!

Thinking about the avanced by absolutely no one argument of 140gr .284 bullet vs heavy 308 cal Woodleigh....I'd love to see where a 140gr .284" TTSX stops ethically killing big game animals that the Woodleigh still kills. IF it does.

Then try a 150, etc.

Last edited by Igloo; 08/20/22.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The 30-06 chambering is for when you arrive at your small 'launching off' town in XXX and finally learn your checked approved ammo container is nesting in some far more exotic airport at YYY and... Seized! There will almost surely be a local Walmart in your locale! And... you will have your 30-06 unless none to be had anywhere! You will then likely achieve happy ZZZs secure in the knowledge that 'nothing else can go wrong! smile

My take!
John

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’ve killed a fare share of white tails with numerous calibers a 30-06 kills with authority unlike others

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Can't think of another cartridge that is as versatile. From 22 caliber sabots to at least 240g bullets, can be downloaded to 308, 30-30 and even subsonic velocities.

Without asking if the 22 caliber sabots are needed, that's a good point. They are available! Same with the 240 gr. Perhaps it does have the widest range of components available to it.

Can other cartridges not be downloaded to 308, 30-30 or subsonic power levels though? Maybe subsonic is a stretch but it would seem you can download anything.

When I first got my 300WM my first handloads for it were 308 Win equivalents. Next I did 30-06 level loads. Did not have either one at the time. Now I have three 30-06, two 308 and only one of everything else. I prefer the 30-06 over the magnums for practical reasons - less powder required to do the job, less recoil, lower cost brass, etc. Not that I don't like my 300WM - it hunts elk more than my three 30-06 put together.

Always kind of figured if you had a 30-06 you didn't have a great need for much else. The 30-06 will do everything most hunters need done, from targets to small game to occasional varmints to moose and big bears and more.

Is it the only one that can? Without needing to go larger/magnum. I agree though, and with your sigline that it is a 99% solution. Not saying its not as good as people think it is, just asking if it is truly alone. Would you really tell someone with a 280 that they cannot hunt the same animals that they could with a 30-06? I'll concede that cartridge and the 270 Win (and others) are based on the 30-06 case...but they do exist.

Love my 280 Rem and do hunt everything with it that I also hunt with my 300WM, 338WM, 30-06 and 7mm RM, etc. Bought a 270 Win for Daughter #1 and load it with 150g Nosler ABLR for elk. Prefer the heavier 30-06 bullets for elk, but the 270 will do. That said, since getting 30 cal rifles of various types I have dropped from 160g in my 7mm RM to 140-155g and use a 150g ABLR in my 280 Rem. Have also taken elk with a 150g AB in a 30-06. For the first 20+ years my only "elk" rifle was my 7mm RM. Used it on prairie dogs, coyotes, antelope, mule deer and elk with the same 160g Speer Grand Slam load. Killed my last elk with that load (my buddy's handload and rifle). Still, I give the versatility title to the 30-06, knowing not everyone will agree. Son-in-laws got rifles for wedding presents. Two got a 30-06, the other had a 300 WSM and wanted and got a 7mm RM.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh yeah? Same placement, I've never really noticed any diff between 30-06, 308, 7x57, 8x57. The fastest I've seen an adult deer drop when it wasn't a CNS hit was a 6.5mm 120gr ballistic tip, two hops and down, but that was a one off. Honestly, can't say the cartridge has mattered any. CNS, they fold. Through the ribs, they run a ways then plunk.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by iskra
The 30-06 chambering is for when you arrive at your small 'launching off' town in XXX and finally learn your checked approved ammo container is nesting in some far more exotic airport at YYY and... Seized! There will almost surely be a local Walmart in your locale! And... you will have your 30-06 unless none to be had anywhere! You will then likely achieve happy ZZZs secure in the knowledge that 'nothing else can go wrong! smile

My take!
John

Been there, done that.

Heading to my deer lease a couple years ago. Realized I'd left my ammo at home. Stopped in at Wal-mart and they had just what I had been shooting, 180gr. Cor-lokts.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can't think of another cartridge that is as versatile. From 22 caliber sabots to at least 240g bullets, can be downloaded to 308, 30-30 and even subsonic velocities.

Without asking if the 22 caliber sabots are needed, that's a good point. They are available! Same with the 240 gr. Perhaps it does have the widest range of components available to it.

Can other cartridges not be downloaded to 308, 30-30 or subsonic power levels though? Maybe subsonic is a stretch but it would seem you can download anything.

When I first got my 300WM my first handloads for it were 308 Win equivalents. Next I did 30-06 level loads. Did not have either one at the time. Now I have three 30-06, two 308 and only one of everything else. I prefer the 30-06 over the magnums for practical reasons - less powder required to do the job, less recoil, lower cost brass, etc. Not that I don't like my 300WM - it hunts elk more than my three 30-06 put together.

Always kind of figured if you had a 30-06 you didn't have a great need for much else. The 30-06 will do everything most hunters need done, from targets to small game to occasional varmints to moose and big bears and more.

Is it the only one that can? Without needing to go larger/magnum. I agree though, and with your sigline that it is a 99% solution. Not saying its not as good as people think it is, just asking if it is truly alone. Would you really tell someone with a 280 that they cannot hunt the same animals that they could with a 30-06? I'll concede that cartridge and the 270 Win (and others) are based on the 30-06 case...but they do exist.

Love my 280 Rem and do hunt everything with it that I also hunt with my 300WM, 338WM, 30-06 and 7mm RM, etc. Bought a 270 Win for Daughter #1 and load it with 150g Nosler ABLR for elk. Prefer the heavier 30-06 bullets for elk, but the 270 will do. That said, since getting 30 cal rifles of various types I have dropped from 160g in my 7mm RM to 140-155g and use a 150g ABLR in my 280 Rem. Have also taken elk with a 150g AB in a 30-06. For the first 20+ years my only "elk" rifle was my 7mm RM. Used it on prairie dogs, coyotes, antelope, mule deer and elk with the same 160g Speer Grand Slam load. Killed my last elk with that load (my buddy's handload and rifle). Still, I give the versatility title to the 30-06, knowing not everyone will agree. Son-in-laws got rifles for wedding presents. Two got a 30-06, the other had a 300 WSM and wanted and got a 7mm RM.

That is a lot of great hunting and a lot of great rifles. With family too? Awesome.

Definitely can't say your opinions are not from experience lol.

I moved from the 300 WM to 30-06 as well. No complaints about the WM, just wasn't needed for my situation.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Probably a more compelling argument that the 30-06 provides unnecessary versatility. I should think that many who participate here have rifle collections with such wide ranging capabilities that they don't need versatility.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
In 2022 you can buy factory loads almost 400 fps faster than WW-1 era loads. And for most of the last 100 years most factory loads published speeds were optimistic. But it still proved to be pretty versatile. Today, with modern loads it is IMO more gun than most of us need. And I hunted almost exclusively with one for about 40 years.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.