-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
All right I am looking at a possible caribou hunt, but have no idea where to start. Do yall have any recommendations about outfitters, areas, etc. My hunting partner and I have no experience with caribou but would like to go, possibly in 2008 if possible. Thanks in advance for any help.
-also posted on canadian forum-

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Google is your friend. The planning of the hunt is just as big a part of the hunt as shooting the critter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would stay away from the mulchatna herd IMO. Nortwest arctic herd is where its at (for now atleast, until that one goes on a decline)

Give Larry bartlett a hollar at www.pristineventures.com or these folks http://www.northwestalaska.com/ . They should be able to steer you in a decent direction if your interested in AK.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I just got back from a caribou hunt in Quebec with Club Chambeau,it was ok,not a whole lot of animals where we were.We're going back in 2 years for the Trophy Hunt.It cost $1100.00 more but worth it.Five guides were great 1 sucked big time.FOOD WAS EXCEPTIONAL and the cook was a wonderful lady,full of laughter and joy.The group of guys that went were all a blast and we made new friends.The biggest hassle was the hurry up and wait,planes couldn't fly out of Lau Pac because of weather or weather where we were.Be damn sure you take good insulated clothing,boots,head gear,gloves and a real good rain suit.It rained,snowed and sleeted every day.The housing was a canvas tent with a oil heater and a wood floor,need a good sleeping bag.BE SURE AND TAKE GUN CLEANING KIT,you have to clean and oil everyday.Be in good shape,we walked anywhere from 3,5,7 to 10 miles everyday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want a guide, I am guessing the Quebec hunts would be a lot cheaper than Alaska. Hunting out of Nome appears hot these days, or you can't go wrong with a Sitka blacktail hunt in Craig.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Second request

Promotional posts are reserved for paying advertisers only. Please contact advertising @ 24hourcampfire.com if you have any questions or would like ad rates.

We appreciate your professional courtesy.

Rick Bin

Last edited by RickBin; 10/24/07. Reason: Second promo post
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Walt at Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals. I live on the North Slope and have heard nothing but good about his service.

Dave

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I would stay away from the mulchatna herd IMO. Nortwest arctic herd is where its at (for now atleast, until that one goes on a decline)

Give Larry bartlett a hollar at www.pristineventures.com or these folks http://www.northwestalaska.com/ . They should be able to steer you in a decent direction if your interested in AK.
I'll second Larry Bartlett at PV, he's set up 2 hunts for me and he knows his stuff. Tell him what you are looking for and he will take care of you.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DixieBoy22:

I hunted the Mulchatna herd in '04 and came up empty. They were so ilusive that our bush pilot could not find any even with the help of local game managers.

Got back a month ago from 'bou hunt flying out of Kotzebue. It was like the Serengeti. We saw several thousand caribou. The only thing I would change is to be more selective. We each got nice bulls but saw bigger bulls while carrying out meat.

We flew with Northern Air Trophy on a one-way flight. Rented a raft from Walt Maslen of Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals and floated about 90 miles in three days to the nearest airport.

Send me an instant message for more info.

KC
[Linked Image]

Last edited by KC; 10/30/07.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

K
K
KC is right, caribou migrate in one of the largest herds, 500,000! in North America travelling through the Northwest Arctic Borough area. Some of the towns are:

Ambler
Buckland
Deering
Kiana
Kivalina
Kobuk
Kotzebue
Noatak
Noorvik

I worked at the Red Dog Mine for 10 yrs. and EVERY year, twice a year, thousands of caribou would migrate and cross the 52 mile mine road (at various points) to the port (a seashore area).

Sometimes it appeared as if the herd never ended, it was so long.

We would have to wait for the caribou and not disturb them or get within 300 feet. This would take HOURS - you invariably would turn around and go back to where you came from.

If you can get to hunt up there from Kotzebue, do it. The scenery is unbelievable, no houses or roads as far as the eye can see.

I am from that area and to me, it is one of the greatest places on earth to hunt.

Sorry, I don't have a tip on any guides, as I never had to use them.

Last edited by kumaq; 10/31/07.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,859
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.