Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
This is a great post in regards to showing our mortality.

I invite all of you to watch the following video about this very topic… this video is applicable to people on and off the religious spectrum .

Last edited by Boxerdog; 08/21/22.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At the moment at least I don't fear death. I've had a great life and accomplished a lot of things I never considered I would do and I keep going with new pursuits every chance I get at 69 years old. If I died tomorrow I wouldn't have any complaints except for the last few years living with my wife have been miserable. Seems the older she gets, the more vicious and ungrateful she seems to get and I wouldn't mind dying with her there just so I could say "finally, some peace ".....

Both my parents passed at about 85 years old and as gracefully as a person could . My in-laws both passed last year and it was a grind watching them go downhill so slowly and painfully, but at least they didn't deal with dementia or mental issues. I hope I can go as peacefully and gracefully as my parents did, but I won't have any control over that situation so I'll accept whatever God has in store for me..

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Friends have said I'll probably live forever because heaven will not allow me to enter and the hell's afraid I'll take over. I never figured that I'd still be here at 84 Y.O. I always figured some jealous husband would be the cause of my demise. To be honest, one came damn close.

I've had a few close calls About ten or so years back I started to bleed from the rear end. I'm talking like it was a blood enema. Called 911 and rode the meat wagon to the ER. Spent a few days in hospital and got X-rays, CT scan, cat scan and a colonoscapy. They never found a thing. Lying in that bed half out of it in some kind of dream like state I'm thinking if I wasn't so damn cold this wouldn't be a bad way to go. About that time the nurse asked me if I wanted a transfusion? I asked what for and she said you've lost a bit over two units of blood and it needs to be replaced. I asked for a warm blanket and said no, I'll ride out this storm on my own. Three days later the let me got home, none the worse for wear. Never did figure out where the bleeding started.

There's been three more close calls, a wreck in my truck where the truck was totaled. The air bag did not deploy and the only thing that saved me was the seat belt. I still hit the steering wheel hard enough to fracture my sternum in four places and my heart was seriously bruised.

Then I had a heart attack. I think that was probably caused by the bruising during the accident. Two stents later and I'm still not right.

Now this year my primary care doc says I want you the get a colonoscapy. I did and dammit cancer. Well I beat prostate cancer over 20 years ago and skin cancer about 6 o7 years ago so I guess I beat it again.
I'm beginning to think the decade off the 2020s is trying to kill me.

I'm not particularly afraid of dying. I just don't want it to be screaming in some king of pain. Quietly, in my sleep would be just fine.
PJ

"You know? I've looked old Mr. Death in the face and you know? He ain't half bad." Doc Holiday in Tombstone.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather did, not screaming and carrying on like all the passengers on his bus.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
from 24 April of this year:

This happened just a couple of weeks ago. I was being treated for a blood clot in my leg. I got up Tuesday@ 0400 AM, and was sitting in my office chair, corresponding with my dear friends on this august forum.

The next thing I knew, I was down on the floor with the office chair on top of me. I had no idea how I got there. KYHillChick was sleeping in the next room and didn't hear me call for help, so I decided to extricate myself. It took a good 10 minutes to maneuver the chair off me, get out away from the desk without tipping over anything and finally get off the floor. I had no pain, no inkling anything was wrong. Whatever I was typing, I'd lost somehow and decided not to retype it, choosing to get a refill on my coffee instead.

Tuesday night, once I was in the Emergency Room, I started to look back on the events of the day. It was when I realized that this was probably when the blood clot broke loose and ended up in my lung. I had no memory of coming out of the chair, because I'd gone out like a light when the clot hit a major vessel and dropped the flow going to my brain. All I remembered was a dull thud. That was my head hitting the carpet.

I spent the next 20 hours flat on my back in the ICU unable to move. They were afraid that it was going to my brain or heart, but they dissolved the clot sufficiently and set me loose late Wednesday afternoon. I was turkey hunting Saturday morning.

Yeah, I have to say that little experience was about as close as you come. No muss, no fuss. If I'd not come to, I'd have never known it. KYHIllChick would have woken up at 0900 and found a big fat blue stiff with an office chair on top of him.

Life comes at you fast sometimes.

So here it is, 22 August, and the question is did it scare me?

I never really knew it. I certainly did not have time to think about it, and I certainly did not have time to be scared. As I've said in so many posts in the past months, the banality of it all is overwhelming.

One correction: That wasn't a major vessel the clot entered. It was my heart. I had it explained in depth to me by a resident examining me in June.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a lot of people talking who have ZERO experience. I do. June 10, 1995 at about 1430. Dead for at least 10 minutes, more likely for 15. Morphine overdose. Hospital gave me a little too much. I dont want to do that again anytime soon, but it wasn't the traumatic experience people with no experience talk about. It does change your way of thinking.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Are You Afraid To Die?"

Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Sounds like a lot of people talking who have ZERO experience...

Yeah, well, the question was "Are you afraid to die?" not: "How much personal experience have you had with dying?"

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No! I’m not afraid of dying because that’s a part of living.

I’m afraid of not living this life to the fullest.

I’ve been a faithful child of God for my ENTIRE life so I look forward to eternity in His presence! Based upon my career choices I have been surrounded and immersed in death which is probably why it doesn’t scare me. I don’t look at my desire to survive the building collapse or not getting killed by a drunk driver on the highway 3am while attending to a multiple vehicle MVA as a “fear” of death because it isn’t! I can’t control the hour I’m called home so I’m not going to worry about that which I can’t control. I view it as my strong survival instincts take over and allows me to think extremely clearly with laser focus when everything has gone to hell. I’m a survivor until I’m not and at that point I’ll be spending eternity in the loving embrace of my Lord and Savior!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not reading through 6 pages. My answer may be similar to others. I'm not afraid to die. I know where I'm going. It's going to be a lot better than here.
I do have anxiety about leaving my wife and kids to fend for themselves. I want to be around for them. To lead, support and guide them on their life's journey.
But the timing is not mine. It's God's alone. Whatever will be, will be. There is some peace in knowing that.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxerdog
This is a great post in regards to showing our mortality.

I invite all of you to watch the following video about this very topic… this video is applicable to people on and off the religious spectrum .

I got the ring, baby. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To live is Christ, to die is gain, Philippians 1:21

Death for believers in Jesus Christ is not a loss, but a gain. In death, eternal life is realized in Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

Jesus is better than anything this life offers. The anticipation of Jesus conquers the fear of death, which enslaves all mankind.

Last edited by WhiteTail48; 08/22/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't like the infinity of it........................

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
74 and counting. I still get out fishing most days so life is good.

living the good life every day
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No. But I don’t want to yet.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Sounds like a lot of people talking who have ZERO experience. I do. June 10, 1995 at about 1430. Dead for at least 10 minutes, more likely for 15. Morphine overdose. Hospital gave me a little too much. I dont want to do that again anytime soon, but it wasn't the traumatic experience people with no experience talk about. It does change your way of thinking.
Charlie

You should call into coast to coast. You'd be a rookie there though, it only happened once to you.

Sorry we don't meet your standards cuz we haven't died before....

Actually comical. Sorry I haven't died and hope to last as long as I can. This is one subject I'm glad I don't have experience in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
No! I’m not afraid of dying because that’s a part of living.

I’m afraid of not living this life to the fullest.

I’ve been a faithful child of God for my ENTIRE life so I look forward to eternity in His presence! Based upon my career choices I have been surrounded and immersed in death which is probably why it doesn’t scare me. I don’t look at my desire to survive the building collapse or not getting killed by a drunk driver on the highway 3am while attending to a multiple vehicle MVA as a “fear” of death because it isn’t! I can’t control the hour I’m called home so I’m not going to worry about that which I can’t control. I view it as my strong survival instincts take over and allows me to think extremely clearly with laser focus when everything has gone to hell. I’m a survivor until I’m not and at that point I’ll be spending eternity in the loving embrace of my Lord and Savior!

Great Post!

Just retired, 32 years as a Firefighter/EMT. Seen death from many different angles, All ages.

Having faith in Jesus Christ is the only peace, I know no matter what happens. I'm saved.

It's free to all of us.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been close 2 times and at the time all i could think of was i did the best i could.

When it happens at least i have the knowledge that the pain will stop.

But i don't think about it every day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kind of

Not sure what, if anything is on the other side.

Last edited by Beretta_Shooter916; 08/22/22.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I always thought there two things in this life that a person should not have to worry about, one is living and the other is dying.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nope

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (160user, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,858
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.