Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
How does it look for you?
Hunting season is underway in B.C. and a northern B.C. sheep hunt is an incredible experience.
I was lucky to first do this 40 + years ago , Stone's Sheep were plentiful, but was not a trip for the faint hearted.
Bighorns are now on draw for 2022, but I do have a Mountain Goat draw and the trailhead is 15 minutes from the farm. Luckily, I have this draw most years. I will likely collect an old Billy and process it for dog food. It has strong flavor, it will test your incisors... the dogs love it.

I turn 65 in January, so a solo Goat this fall is a good goal and Bull Elk is very likely, if I can get a horse to it.
I can't pack the quarters over the windfalls etc these days( for any distance)
Anyways, What are your plans for the Fall of 2022?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
comerade;
Top of the morning to you my friend, I see your light is on and hope the morning's pot of coffee is good at your house.

Thanks for the thread and hunting season outlook in your part of the world, before going on I'll wish you good luck with a Billy and a bull as well.

We're doing a fair bit of pre-season scouting this year as a long time friend and hunting companion got drawn for one of two tags for any California Bighorn ram on the mountain behind the house.

Our eldest daughter and I have been putting in for that tag for years - I want to say it's 250:1 odds or something similar - so when buddy said he'd been drawn we were excited for sure, but I had some concerns as I'd been seeing far fewer rams in the past couple of years.

We'll see what we can find for him, but so far we've only seen one small band of ewes and lambs in the areas where the sheep "are supposed to be".

Late last week I bought whitetail, mulie, elk and moose tags, having already had a black bear tag which I do as a matter of course in spring, but that's just to enable less paperwork if a yard bear gets to be too much of a problem.

We've seen very few mulies and no whitetail in our sheep scouting so far, but it's been typically warm here so I'm thinking that won't help with daytime movement. The yard mulies surely aren't too active in the 35° heat and put quite a dent in the two stock water pans I fill for them and the quail.

Oh, that's one bright spot comerade - birds. We've seen more Blue Grouse than we've seen in many years up in the sheep range, so that's very gratifying to see again. I don't hunt them anymore, but for those who do, it might be worthwhile again.

That's the view from the mountain behind the house out here comerade.

Good luck to you and all the rest of our fellow 'Fire folks this hunting season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nothing near as exciting as you two have planned. I will be going bear hunting the week of Sept 5 and I'm seeing some activity on the game cam. Could be good.

Our group didn't draw a moose tag, so we'll just have a guy's weekend when we normally would be moose hunting. I didn't draw a doe tag for my preferred area, but expect to get a muzzleloader tag that lets me shoot buck and doe. Unfortunately, our deer hunting seasons are limited unless bowhunting, so it will only be two weeks of hard hunting and a lot of sitting around otherwise in the fall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
2 or 3 whitetail for the freezer, would bless us greatly.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple weeks ago I spent a few days in my Whitetail spot, I cut several trails leading into a swamp and a series of ridges. I hung a portable tree stand near the swamp, and cut stuff out for shooting lanes. I will likely be able to spend some time with my crossbow if its not to warm out, otherwise I will hit it during rifle season when I can.
Whitetails are way down in pops around here, It was 9 days until I saw a cranker Whitey 50ft in front of me last year, I messed that up. frown

Mule deer....I may take one early, a small buck would be great, but I may save my (only allowed 1) Mule deer tag for a cranker 4 point in November.

Then my son and I finally drew a Bull Moose, so just one Moose between us. It is near my house so I should be able to spend lots of time hunting it, I work in the area everyday. I got a feeling it isn't going to be so easy, its hard to tell how much, and where the game is because of the warm weather we have presently. There is generally good Bulls up there, but I may be solo much of the time if my son cant make it. Around here Moose hunting in November go's well with Mule deer hunting, they like the same country.

I have the 6.5 swede dialed in for deer hunting and have been shooting 6-8 rounds everyday out of my 338 win after work, tighter groups every time I shoot. I will shoot my 300 win and make sure its all good too just in case I change my mind.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mostly waterfowl and upland birds this year. Some excellent Hun hunting in particular 10 mins from home. I have a beautiful Rizzini Artimus LT in 16 g that is perfect for them. Be chasing some pheasants in Oct/Nov with it too.
Roughly 2 weeks to ducks, a few around, numbers increasing daily. Once it gets cold, the goose hunting in the same fields I hunt Huns becomes top notch.
Also, carrying a cougar tag. Long season here on the prairie. There is a long, resident only spot and stalk season for them.
My youngest son finally (After a 13 ear wait) drew an non-trophy antelope tag in an WMU half an hour from home that holds a good bunch of them in early October.
I'll be his helper. Really looking forward to that!!
Still may hit the Foothills in mid-October for elk but plans have hit a snag with work.
Jeff

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
troutfly....I should get a Cougar tag too, I forgot about that. I have had years where I see a couple every year. Here is a big Tom I had a 10 minute look at, around 50 yds. You never know when they will show up.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/40tPBeb.jpg?2[/img]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Our group got a moose draw in 5-15. Looking forward to that for the last week of September. Sept 10 will be in the bush closer to home, maybe Clinton, for grouse and maybe an early season 4 point mulie.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 25 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,457
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.