Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by johnw
But 365/365XL/365X? Which one is the Goldilocks gun?

Since your Goldilocks question is specifically about these three variations of the Sig 365, I would say, in order of my personal preference; 365XL first, 365X a close second and the 365 third.

I like the grip of the X and the XL. The only significant difference that I can see is that the barrel and slide of the XL is 0.6 inches longer than the X.

But I'd be happy with either.

If it wasn't for the fact that today I put a deposit down on a 365 XL Spectre Comp for oh, about twice the money my LGS was asking for the standard XL.

Early birthday present for me.

I'd likely agree with your preference, but have been looking for a 365XL unsuccessfully for a month now. Finally left cash with an "internet dealer", who agreed to check his distributor a couple of times a day. He called and said he had the 365X available but that the chance would fade in minutes. I told him to grab it.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Glock 19 for the win.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Johnw, I noticed while I was combing the internet that a lot of flavors of Sigs are scarce right now.

The manager of my LGS, less than a week ago, told me he had two 365XLSCs in the shop the previous week, he sold both of them the same day, and Sig would not give him an estimated date for his next shipment.

After a couple of days of internet cruising, I decided that, hell, maybe I didn't want it all that much, anyway. The 365XL is pretty nice. But those are scarce, too.

So two days later, I went back to see if they had an XL, and I was going to buy if if they did (they didn't), and the manager spotted me from across the store. He said, hey, I was just about to dial your number. I'm getting an XLSC in next week. Do you want it?

I had my credit card out as I walked over to him. I should have it by Thursday.

As for your 365X, I don't think you're going to be unhappy with it at all.

Last edited by tjm10025; 08/20/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I now carry a 365XL because it came out as the most reasonable when you plug in all the factors i deemed important and based on recommendations from a few of you. The gun fits my hand well, it holds a reasonable amount of rounds and in a caliber that bullet technology has now made it acceptable for self-defense. Never been involved in a gun fight and I don't want to be, but there are literally REAMS of data out there validating all kinds of factors.

The Glock 19 is about as good as it gets, but the 365 is a LOT easier to carry and conceal and round count is more than adequate when you consider statistical data on guns used for self defense (not gunfights by LEOs) the situation is settled with five rounds or LESS. Sure more is always better, I remember during the Gulf War aircrews were loading up their survival gear (Browning Hi-Powers were the "de rigueur"weapon of the day but I carried a 1911) with multiple magazines, combat knives, etc., in the hopes of "trading lead" with a truck full of Iraqui soldiers with AKs bearing down in your position. "That is the fight you get" and unless the RESCAP A-10s, gunships and extraction teams were overhead, that Browning was as useless at tits on a boar hog. For the everyday citizen like most of us are, personal choice, based on one's risk assessment works for me,but after reading some comments, the only thing that would satisfy some of you guys are belt-fed, crew served weaponry.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I now carry a 365XL because it came out as the most reasonable when you plug in all the factors i deemed important and based on recommendations from a few of you. The gun fits my hand well, it holds a reasonable amount of rounds and in a caliber that bullet technology has now made it acceptable for self-defense. Never been involved in a gun fight and I don't want to be, but there are literally REAMS of data out there validating all kinds of factors.

The Glock 19 is about as good as it gets, but the 365 is a LOT easier to carry and conceal and round count is more than adequate when you consider statistical data on guns used for self defense (not gunfights by LEOs) the situation is settled with five rounds or LESS. Sure more is always better, I remember during the Gulf War aircrews were loading up their survival gear (Browning Hi-Powers were the "de rigueur"weapon of the day but I carried a 1911) with multiple magazines, combat knives, etc., in the hopes of "trading lead" with a truck full of Iraqui soldiers with AKs bearing down in your position. "That is the fight you get" and unless the RESCAP A-10s, gunships and extraction teams were overhead, that Browning was as useless at tits on a boar hog. For the everyday citizen like most of us are, personal choice, based on one's risk assessment works for me,but after reading some comments, the only thing that would satisfy some of you guys are belt-fed, crew served weaponry.

I think that Mackay is correct in his assertion that better armed is generally better. But I think that he misses the point that a lot of guys work in an environment where carry of any weapon at all is strictly prohibited. If they do decide to carry, they gotta weigh the potential of losing their employment, if caught doing so. And in some cases, some places, they might even lose their freedom for being armed.

And this is a real thing. I know a guy personally who worked in such a place. Company man, on the executive team.
In the years before Illinois passed their concealed carry law, he commonly carried a pocket .380. A talisman, in Mackay's estimation. He used that talisman to shoot one of 3 armed attackers who accosted him while he was out of the office at lunch time. The fight ended when he shot, but his battles had just begun.

He was never charged with unlawful carry. The only criminal charges he ever faced were misdemeanors. But the company he worked for decided that his services were no longer required. He fought his termination in court and won. But his time there, and his success with them was clearly a thing of the past.
Today he raises funds far various non-profits, and makes more money than when he was on the "A" Team. He eventually was awarded his concealed carry permit, but had to go through the appeals process to get it.

As to talisman guns, almost every case of self defense I hear of, where I here anything about the weapon used, involves them. I think Mackay is wrong on that point. Guys choose to carry what they are able to, in order to give themselves a chance to influence what happens around them when things turn [bleep].

Been that way forever...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hickok45 has become a real fanboy of the P-365. He was, for most of his YouTube presence, a huge proponent of the Glock line, particularly the 19/23 and 26/27.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As to talisman guns, almost every case of self defense I hear of, where I here anything about the weapon used, involves them. I think Mackay is wrong on that point. Guys choose to carry what they are able to, in order to give themselves a chance to influence what happens around them when things turn [bleep].

Been that way forever...

Well put.

Mackay is a cop and has a Cop's mindset. But Cop's are about 2 per thousand population, or 0.2%. Everyone else is not a cop and has to go about the world NOT A COP.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by dla; 08/22/22.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
When Mackay speaks he's not telling anyone what to do, he's giving an opinion, and that opinion is based on being a cop, a civilian & in the military so use it not. Its great advice for those that know him & care to use it to their advantage. If you don't want to, just move on to the next topic. Trust me, he doesn't need anyone defending him!
Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 08/22/22.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
When Mackay speaks he's not telling anyone what to do, he's giving an opinion, and that opinion is based on being a cop, a civilian & in the military so use it not. Its great advice for those that know him & care to use it to their advantage. If you don't want to, just move on to the next topic. Trust me, he doesn't need anyone defending him!
Dick

Mackay gives sound advice, no doubt about that

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a prolonged shoot out, I'd prefer a .44 mag or a .480 Ruger loaded with heavy cast.

Negates most cover.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
10 years ago....I thought a j-frame or an LCP was about as good as it could get for a CCW piece. I bought into the 3 shots from 3 feet in 3 seconds theory. However, over the last few years having watched the videos of these shootings and how things go down; it has really changed my way of thinking. Like others have mentioned here, I want nothing to do with a micro pistol. I want good sights, the ability to get a good purchase on the gun, and decent capacity. These are what I've decided on. The g48 and when dress allows it....the 19 with a Leupold Delta Point.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A Kimber Micro-9

<> https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/78651-DEFAULT-l.jpg <>

A 2020 Shot Show special I bought for a song. It's a favorite and shoots as good as it looks!

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hickok45 has become a real fanboy of the P-365. He was, for most of his YouTube presence, a huge proponent of the Glock line, particularly the 19/23 and 26/27.

Call it a talisman, or whatever, the P365 platform checks a lot of boxes.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ky221
10 years ago....I thought a j-frame or an LCP was about as good as it could get for a CCW piece. I bought into the 3 shots from 3 feet in 3 seconds theory. However, over the last few years having watched the videos of these shootings and how things go down; it has really changed my way of thinking. Like others have mentioned here, I want nothing to do with a micro pistol. I want good sights, the ability to get a good purchase on the gun, and decent capacity. These are what I've decided on. The g48 and when dress allows it....the 19 with a Leupold Delta Point.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Did your 19 come OSP ready or did you have the slide milled?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
10ga- it's the MOS version of the 19.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ky221
10ga- it's the MOS version of the -9.
👍

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

For a guy living in a state that requires a FOID card and has only been carrying concealed a few years, you sure throw that talisman word around a bunch.

It seems as though you have it all figured out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54

For a guy living in a state that requires a FOID card and has only been carrying concealed a few years, you sure throw that talisman word around a bunch.

Well, have had a purchase permit system since 93. No concealed carry till 2006 so I didn’t start till 2008 only 14 years concealed, but I have open carried since 1974 so does that count?

I’ve got 3 talismans that I use regularly a PPK, G26 and the super talisman 1911 for concealed, open carry was either 41 mag or 357 now those are talisman’s.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I think that Mackay is correct in his assertion that better armed is generally better. But I think that he misses the point that a lot of guys work in an environment where carry of any weapon at all is strictly prohibited. If they do decide to carry, they gotta weigh the potential of losing their employment, if caught doing so. And in some cases, some places, they might even lose their freedom for being armed.

And this is a real thing. I know a guy personally who worked in such a place. Company man, on the executive team.
In the years before Illinois passed their concealed carry law, he commonly carried a pocket .380. A talisman, in Mackay's estimation. He used that talisman to shoot one of 3 armed attackers who accosted him while he was out of the office at lunch time. The fight ended when he shot, but his battles had just begun.

He was never charged with unlawful carry. The only criminal charges he ever faced were misdemeanors. But the company he worked for decided that his services were no longer required. He fought his termination in court and won. But his time there, and his success with them was clearly a thing of the past.
Today he raises funds far various non-profits, and makes more money than when he was on the "A" Team. He eventually was awarded his concealed carry permit, but had to go through the appeals process to get it.

Been that way forever...

While I pay close attention to what Mackay writes, I have to agree with this. I carried legally in spite of company rules for years. During that time, the biggest gun I carried on the job was the K9 - and for exactly those reasons. And during much of that time, the K9 was the sweet spot of concealment/power/shootability. But I always wished I could carry the HiPower instead. You can dress around the gun to an extent, but at some point you gotta choose what works for you and your environment.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54

laugh

Morons abound

And yeah, I have a few things figured out. Mostly original thinking on my part.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,592
Posts18,532,443
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.