Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by brayhaven
I shot a couple groups this morning with 70 gr Hammer Hunter and wasn’t impressed at all.
This rifle shoots everything well. And sone exceptionally well. Best I could do this morning was 2.3”. Glad they sell em in sample packs. I tried the things they suggested in their forum except crimping which I hate to do.
Underwhelmed so far.
Will try a few other things before giving up on them. Maybe they shoot best at scorching velocities?

they have shot well for me at max.powder charges so far ? but i have 7 1/2 twist rifles for my bullets too and both are 25 caliber rifles 257 Creedmoor and my 257 WEATHERBY MAG. Brux barrels , Reloader powder , lapua and norma brass ? bench rest dies and i volume load ?

I’m starting to think these bullets (Hunter style) like a lot of speed (spin) to shoot well. They tell you to crimp the cases, but I just hate to crimp a rifle round except where needed for recoil or a tube magazine.
Will try some other seating depths etc before giving up on them until I run out.
Thanks for your input.
Greg

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Brayhaven, is your twist rate compatible?

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes. 1:9. Bartlein barrel. They call for 1:10 (or faster) for that bullet. Though all those twist recommendations are a little worthless without caliber, speed etc.
it’s the RPMs that stabilize a bullet.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just ordered some 88 hammer hunters to try in a pair of 6 creeds and 6-06.

Yup.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AKduck
Just ordered some 88 hammer hunters to try in a pair of 6 creeds and 6-06.
I’d be interested in an objective review.

I’ve about decided that monolithic bullets aren’t the most accurate bullets out there. I Don’t see anyone competing successfully with them. Maybe the ones selling em. Might be an obturation issue due to the characteristic of solid copper. Some shoot pretty well even at lower velocities. I’ve shot ttsx for many years in several calibers with good results, mainly because they’re so effective on game. And most shoot under an inch. Best monos I’ve tried. Though not as good as a quality jacketed lead target bullet. The terminal performance makes up for it.
I’m gonna try some changes with those hammers and see what happens.

Greg
IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've gotten good results with Lehighs, the Nosler Etip, and the Hornady GMX and MFX, but they've all been a lot more finicky to dial loads in for than the Barnes. The TTSX seem to be the most forgiving with load development, in my experience. The Hammers fell ino the finicky category for me, but they did end up shooting well.

I'm not shooting for match level accuracy, though. Touching shots with irons @50-75 yards is my "good enough" point. 🤷‍♂️

I've pretty much given up on Lehighs though, because they never seem to leave anything on the market very long. Get em to shoot, then find out they're discontinued 🙄

Last edited by zcm82; 07/25/22. Reason: addition
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by zcm82
I've got a load worked up with the 86gr Shock Hammer for my 327 Fed carbine. The accuracy is very good, but I haven't potted any game with them yet, so no terminal results.
Is this an encore carbine?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Henry BBS 16" carbine. They ended up liking CFE Pistol best through it. Most of the other bullets I've shot in it prefer Unique or 2400, but the Hammers didn't like either one of those powders.

5 shot group. Have a Williams FP peep with a Marbles 1/16" white bead front sight on it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've gotten good results with Lehighs, the Nosler Etip, and the Hornady GMX and MFX, but they've all been a lot more finicky to dial loads in for than the Barnes. The TTSX seem to be the most forgiving with load development, in my experience. The Hammers fell ino the finicky category for me, but they did end up shooting well.

I'm not shooting for match level accuracy, though. Touching shots with irons @50-75 yards is my "good enough" point. 🤷‍♂️

I've pretty much given up on Lehighs though, because they never seem to leave anything on the market very long. Get em to shoot, then find out they're discontinued 🙄

My early testing of the Hornady CX also shows them to be less forgiving than the ttsx bullets. I was kind of hoping they’d be an improvement over the gmx in terms of accuracy, as they appear to be a little better expanding at lower velocities.
The good old Barnes still seem to be the best monos I’ve shot. Killed a lot of game (deer & hogs) with em for many years. Most dropped in their tracks and farthest one traveled was @40 yards.

Greg
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I'm a big fan of the Barnes as well. I've gotten them to shoot well in every cartridge I've tried them in without needing to do a ton of load fiddling.

I've pretty much only used the other monos in applications where there wasn't a Barnes to fit the bill, or they were unobtanium when I was working up loads.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm a big fan of the Barnes as well. I've gotten them to shoot well in every cartridge I've tried them in without needing to do a ton of load fiddling.

I've pretty much only used the other monos in applications where there wasn't a Barnes to fit the bill, or they were unobtanium when I was working up loads.

I met old Fred once back in early 70s at his place in Colorado. He had a Cadillac up on blocks in the rear that he’d used to pull (swage) pure copper tubing through a mandrel for his signature copper & lead bullets. Great game bullets back then as well.

Greg
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I finally got the 70 grain Hunter to shoot pretty well in my 6x6.8 @5/8”, very finicky though, but have decided I don’t really like the design.
The bullet sheds the front very quickly into @4-5 grain flat “petals” that don’t go far in meat as you’d expect. The other 50 grains of so continues on straight through at original diameter like a full jacket. Not too impressed in my tests, 2 gallon jugs of water and wet catalogs.
I want a bullet that expands to 1.5 or 2 calibers, retains its weight and continues to plow through the other side, in case a blood trail is needed, and expending energy all the way through.
TTSX bullets have done that reliably for me for many years.
Fun to play with new things though.

Last edited by brayhaven; 08/23/22.

Greg
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.