Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow 'Fire Folks;
Good morning to one and all, I hope that it's cooled off sufficiently for you last night like it did here finally and that those you care about are healthy.

This is a little different for me in that it's just a sheep hunting video that came into my feed this morning.

The back story however is perhaps of interest to some so I'll share.

Our local fish and game club has had an annual sheep count since 1949. When we moved here in '84 I became a member of the club and have been ever since. I want to say that the first sheep count I was involved in was '89 or so and as it turned out I ended up being an "area leader" for a group of counters.

A group is assigned to count a stretch of mountain and the method more or less is we go up as far as we're able to, pile out of the trucks and then walk down counting California Bighorn, Mule Deer, Whitetail and whatever else we see.

Some of you reading might enjoy the irony that the area I was assigned and subsequently counted for all the years after '89 except one that I can recall I missed, coincidentally is just up the road a short walk from where we ended up moving to 30 years ago.

Funny how life works sometimes is it not?

All that said then, a few sheep counts back we met a very pleasant young man who came out all the way from the Lower Mainland to participate in the count. If I'm not wrong, the other young fellow in the video was out for the last one we did as well? I believe so, but am not positive.

Anyways it was a pleasant surprise to see Chris in a hunting video.

Regarding the video, the script, narration and editing very much remind me of the Eastman hunting films of my youth, so perhaps besides the small personal connection, there's some fond memories as well.

All the best to you all. Good luck to those of you who hunt, I hope the season is full of grand adventures for you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was a great hunt.
Just because a hunter go's home empty handed doesn't mean the objective wasn't met.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Fellow 'Fire Folks;
Good morning to one and all, I hope that it's cooled off sufficiently for you last night like it did here finally and that those you care about are healthy.

This is a little different for me in that it's just a sheep hunting video that came into my feed this morning.

The back story however is perhaps of interest to some so I'll share.

Our local fish and game club has had an annual sheep count since 1949. When we moved here in '84 I became a member of the club and have been ever since. I want to say that the first sheep count I was involved in was '89 or so and as it turned out I ended up being an "area leader" for a group of counters.

A group is assigned to count a stretch of mountain and the method more or less is we go up as far as we're able to, pile out of the trucks and then walk down counting California Bighorn, Mule Deer, Whitetail and whatever else we see.

Some of you reading might enjoy the irony that the area I was assigned and subsequently counted for all the years after '89 except one that I can recall I missed, coincidentally is just up the road a short walk from where we ended up moving to 30 years ago.

Funny how life works sometimes is it not?

All that said then, a few sheep counts back we met a very pleasant young man who came out all the way from the Lower Mainland to participate in the count. If I'm not wrong, the other young fellow in the video was out for the last one we did as well? I believe so, but am not positive.

Anyways it was a pleasant surprise to see Chris in a hunting video.

Regarding the video, the script, narration and editing very much remind me of the Eastman hunting films of my youth, so perhaps besides the small personal connection, there's some fond memories as well.

All the best to you all. Good luck to those of you who hunt, I hope the season is full of grand adventures for you.

Dwayne

Thanks for posting this info, Dwayne.
I have done this many times myself and hopefully a few more in the future.
Luckily, B.C. has been a real Mecca for Sheep hunters during my lifetime.
Sheep hunters are hit by a different hammer and if you are smitten....it is tough to hide!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A very enjoyable video. Thanks for sharing.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Good video! Some pretty gentle Stone terrain! Love to get dropped off at a remote lake by a Beaver....ratty sounding radial engine planes that are 60 years old and still flying everyday. In fact I've flown in that yellow one in the video, and I believe the red one as well.

IC B2

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kurt52;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that wherever you're at in our province that you're well and getting weather you need.

We're finally a wee bit cooler this morning, but the big fire just northwest of us is still going so it's a tad smoky.

Thanks for the reply and bit of personal connection sir, that's so very cool that you've been in those planes! cool

Although my life hasn't included a fly in hunt, I've been blessed to fly in a float plane up north which I "think" was a Beaver? It was 50 years ago in Stoney Rapids, SK and we'd got there via NorCanAir in a DC 3, that I can recall too.

Thanks again and all the best on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have flown in, walked in and rode horseback into the North country of BC..I prefer not to fly.
The last time I did, as we took off you could clearly see downed aircraft at the bottem of a clear pond, the aircraft ( we were in) was old, a leaker of fluids and neither fuel gauge worked. I have no idea of make and vintage.
I would much rather ride a bronc, at least I have some control over the situation. - I am a land lubber

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Great Video Dwayne, well worth watching.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes good video to watch

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Dwayne! Great video, of amazing country. I enjoyed the retro style of it too.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,092
Posts18,501,957
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.