Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
EVERY one that I purchase is BOTH. I shoot all of mine and they are tools... that said, they are all worth more than what I purchased them for. Some, considerably more...

That's the only way to do it. Smart way to go.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I buy them because I want them. No need, if I want it then I need it.

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Straight tools gee dub, got a few with sentimental value. Like mentioned before, I’d rather tramp around huntin and traveling. 👊🏻👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I buy firearms for a specific task I intend to use them for. So I guess they are a tool. But As I have gotten older
I appreciate quality. So I’m not a “ its cheap and it gets the job done kind of guy”. All that said I am not a guy who buys a firearm
With no intention of hunting with it. I am not a collector.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never ever earned a dime in a passbook savings account. Instead I put money in guns I want, if I want it I need it. I use them so they are also tools . So I don"t waste my money eating out or buying rubber dogsh*t from china at wallyworld. My home is paid for , vehicles and boat fleet paid for.. it Is I guess part of being conservative in nature. I don't give a fug how others spend their money so naturally I don't tolerate someone telling me how to spend mine. It's called freedom a concept that escapes a lot of people today. No matter how much money you have, sometimes it isn't enough to buy what you don't have. In my case the ability to hear well, they can tune one's hearing aids in the frequencies
you have to help, but can't give you what you don't have. I hear everybody on the fire the good guys to the sh*theads. So spend your money as you feel like. Nice guns ,good booze, and bad women after all it's your money. FJB...mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 08/23/22.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tools and toys with long-term value retention.

At least half of my firearms have come to me gently used - including one from Dad, four from my paternal Granddad, one from my maternal Granddad. When I buy new I am looking specifically for a particular solution. When buying used I often buy based on value and price even if I don't have a particular "need". Case in point, I recently purchased a Savage 12 FVSS for $400. It came with rings and a Burris FFII 3.5-10x BDC scope. Already had a new and as yet still unfired Ruger Hawkeye stainless .223. Another time I was looking for an inexpensive but quality revolver for my wife. I found a S&W Model 10-3 at Cabela's for $249. The checkering on the walnut grips was about worn off, indicating to me an EDC handgun. It seemed tight and had a great trigger but a previous owner had it refinished in what looked like paint or the world's worst Cerakote job. Got it home, pulled out the S&W rebuild instructions and found it to be in spec for factory new as far as endplay, shake, etc.

One thing I avoid is paying extra for cosmetics like those on special editions with engraving celebrating this or that. And so I have none. I also avoid those firearms whose intrinsic value is based on their historical value, which I place no value on at all when considering a purchase. With the exception of those from my grandfathers and the 1960's S&W Model 10 mentioned above, my oldest firearm was made in 1974 and the rest are 1981 and newer. With the exception of a small minority, my firearms are worth as much or more than I paid for them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Both. I have only bought one gun with the intent to sell it. I bought two Nikko skeet guns when I was stationed in Japan and kept the one with the nicest wood and trigger.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I like to hunt, but I also am fascinated by and admire clever designs and nice workmanship/materials.

I never look at them as investments; they’re my hobby, and also tools that enable me to bring home the bacon. I never buy something I don’t like or that won’t be useful just because I might make money on it.

This.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Like many I have both. Every one has been bought for a purpose, some have become quite valuable. Never had the intent to purchase one as an investment though.

I have never sat in the driveway and admired a socket wrench but have sat in the woods and admired a rifle.........

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Only tools here. If I were to suffer a stove fire and lost everything, I'd be into another throw-away ruger 77 and be on the river come spring break-up.

I have a bunch of friends with far too many guns. They be the first I'd approach for a good deal.

Here on campfire, seems to be too full of middle to late aged gun-gluttons who don't do sht.

Wishers n dreamers.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Some are sentimental that were gave to me. Those have mostly been built into rifles that are my tools. I like to think I’ll pass them down to children or hopefully I’ll be able to give them to grandchildren some day.

Some are just tools and I don’t mind selling or trading them.

I’m currently very interested in putting together tools for my daughters. I suppose this is mostly due to me not needing anything but I very much enjoy the process.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My guns are tools, investments , heirlooms, projects, works of art etc..... I have all bases covered smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, afisher, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.