-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Awhile back I acquired a FA97 in 45 Colt and have been pleased with every aspect of this fine revolver. Once in awhile we get the urge to explore in different areas of shooting and I remembered when I had a Ruger Old Army blackpowder. So, how would the 97 do?

Borrowing some SPG lubed 255gr bullets and a drop tube, I loaded up some FFFg Goex to the point of slight compression. 50 rounds. Chronographing 955fps with a mere 24fps SD, I found the accuracy was identical to smokeless at 25 yards. The report was different as was the smell due to the slight headwind. But, what a blast and what a nice connection to the days of yesteryear.

Today we were shooting some 9mms, including the new SR9, and I brought the 97 along for the fun stuff. Three of us took turns with it once I had some basic chronograph data from 10 rounds. We should have brought more ammo!

Cleaning was a cinch. Using a formulation of alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and Murphy's oil (1/3 part each), the residue dissolved quickly at the shooting site and made detailing easier when I got home. SPG kept any fouling to a minimum with no caking noted.

Firearm enthusiasts love to experiment I have found over the years. We ponder various loads and try different things just 'cuz we want to see what will happen. I think I'll head to the shop and load up 100 more blackpowder loads tonight.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure you're smarter than me but...The first blackpowder cartridge loads I fixed up were for my original Sharps Conversion Carbine in 50-70. I just used my old Lyman Powder measure and things worked fine. Later on, reading Mike Venturino, I found that I should've had a special Blackpowder Measure. I've since bought a Lyman with several brass drop tubes. I was lucky, but I'd rather not make mistakes to begin with. FYI

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Handloader- That an interesting experiment! Did you run into any binding up of the cylinder (I ask because I've heard that BP fouling is supposed to do better in guns less tight than an FA)? First hand experience is best.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Binding was a concern, but, unfounded. Perhaps, I should credit the SPG lube for this as all the residue from the blackpowder stayed soft, but, this is my first venture into BP shooting in decades and other factors may be present that I didn't notice. After 50 rounds, some of this resdue was scrapping against the breech end of the barrel, but, not binding it nor causing noticable drag when the cylinder was rotated.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No first-hand experience here, but I've heard that binding is more of an issue with DA revolvers - there's less leverage pulling the trigger DA than cranking the SA hammer with your thumb.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,349
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.