Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1561730584329732096.html

In 1995 14 wolves were released into the Yellowstone National Park. Conservationists and Scientists did not expect the wolves to have much of an impact on the park.
1/n
There had been no wolves in Yellowstone for 70 years. During this time, the deer population grew tremendously, severely damaging the local flora.
2/n
Fourteen wolves, of course, could not eat all the deer, but they forced the deer to be more careful in choosing places to eat, and to avoid certain parts of the park. In those places, vegetation began to revive.
3/n
In six years, the number of trees increased fivefold. Beavers appeared and began building dams. Muskrats, ducks and fish bred in the new ponds.
4/n
The wolves reduced the population of coyotes, which led to an increase in the number of hares and mice. This in turn attracted hawks, ferrets and foxes to the park. Bears thrived on the scraps of prey left by the wolves.
5/n
Remarkably, the wolves also changed the flow of Yellowstone's rivers. River channels straightened and stabilized, and coastal erosion decreased. This happened because the influence of wolves on deer led to the explosive growth of trees along the banks of the rivers.
6/n
The story of the Yellowstone wolves shows that ecosystems are complex and interconnected in ways that we may not fully understand. When all the parts are in balance, nature thrives.
7/end

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I saw that post yesterday...the original post talked about "jackals" Ahhh yes, the famous Jackals of Yellowstone. Good god what a fantasy world where someone could post that and have it be noticed, let alone accepted or acclaimed.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
And now the wolves are eating the grizzlies and have reduced the elk population so much the grizzlies are starving and not enough elk migrate out of the park in winter to have winter population hunts and.... wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by jaguartx
And now the wolves are eating the grizzlies and have reduced the elk population so much the grizzlies are starving and not enough elk migrate out of the park in winter to have winter population hunts and.... wink

Wrong, on the Montana side there is a 6 month season and you can kill 3 elk in a lot of districts.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was hoping that by posting this we could provide an antithesis to this guy's claim with links and science rather than hearsay and anecdotal evidence contrary to his claims.

I'd like to be able to cite scientific proof that he is wrong if I'm going-to try to blow him out of the water on Twitter.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Didn't Yellowstone have up to 20,000 elk before the wolves and only a fourth of that now?

I would have thought the coyotes could have kept the deer numbers in control as studies show they often get 80+% of the fawn crop.

Too bad the deer population never got so high they needed population control hunts outside the park in winter.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/23/22.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Get on Fakebook and criticize wolf restoration and see what happens. Of course those folks don't own any livestock and keep their cats inside. Wondering why they couldn't have just shot enough deer and elk to keep the population in check. I kind of thought that might be an incentive for good behavior on the nearby Indian reservations if they allowed the non felons among them to come kill the excess population. Under supervision of course.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well they put wolves in Colorado, watch and see what happens in next 5 years. Ranchers are losing stock already.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
If it hadn't been for Trump, bank erosion would have been reduced around many fishing spots on rivers and lakes.

We would have been subjected to TOTAL LOCKDOWN.

No interstate hwy travel would have cleared store shelves and farmers would have run out of fuel.

Forced repeated vaccinations would have contributed to saving the world.

Starvation and resultant anarchy would have greatly reduced overpopulation and saved us from GLOBAL WARMING.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/23/22.

I Dindo Nuffin
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by SCRooster
I'd like to be able to cite scientific proof that he is wrong if I'm going-to try to blow him out of the water on Twitter.

Just remember they are not wrong about everything. If you are looking to "blow him out of the water" you might be setting yourself up for failure.

Just assemble the facts, and let the facts make your argument.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by losttrail60

Wrong, on the Montana side there is a 6 month season and you can kill 3 elk in a lot of districts.

I have come to the conclusion, libtards really are as dumb as a box of rocks.
The N. Yellowstone herd went from 20K plus to less than 4K, thanks to wolves.
Take a drive through Yellowstone, unlikely to see an elk unless the are on the lawns in Mammoth

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
Get on Fakebook and criticize wolf restoration and see what happens. Of course those folks don't own any livestock and keep their cats inside. Wondering why they couldn't have just shot enough deer and elk to keep the population in check. I kind of thought that might be an incentive for good behavior on the nearby Indian reservations if they allowed the non felons among them to come kill the excess population. Under supervision of course.

They could have sold hunting licenses and made the place somewhat self sufficient rather than a contributer to the national debt.

I Dindo Nuffin
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was hoping that by posting this we could provide an antithesis to this guy's claim with links and science rather than hearsay and anecdotal evidence contrary to his claims.

Here you go.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...d-entire-ecosystem-flow-of-rivers/349988

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

lol. poor cal dumb. is BHA still working on banning firearms?

The elk population dropped over 70 per cent since the wolves were introduced in YNP and moose populations are down even more

Wolves are even going after bears and dragging them from their dens during hibernation

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

God bless you.

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Deer harvest in Wisconsin down over 30 per cent since wolves were introduced. The moose have pretty much been wiped out in the mid west due to wolves

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Go to Hell

I Dindo Nuffin
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by irfubar
Take a drive through Yellowstone, unlikely to see an elk unless the are on the lawns in Mammoth

Expected response form a California transplant. Check the hunting regs.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ribka
Deer harvest in Wisconsin down over 30 per cent since wolves were introduced. The moose have pretty much been wiped out in the mid west due to wolves

They had to resort to airplane wolf reduction programs in areas of AK to safe moose populations

The wolves put in Yellowstone were the big Canadian Grey' which were what preyed on the bison and moose, and not the American Lobo which had historically been in the area.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar

Expected response form a California transplant. Check the hunting regs.

There are no "hunting regs" for YNP..... dumbazz

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,964
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.