Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Just picked up a Savage 300 99G (pretty sure its a 99G) Takedown manufactured in 1936 (ser no 3558XX) Beautiful firearm in at what I judge to be about 95+ % except for the cresent butt which I do not think was part of the 99G models.

Some of the characteristics:

Metal bead on raised ramp front sight.
Marble rear sight.
Pistol grip stock with fine checkering.
Takedown
24 inch barrell
Mirror bore
Schnoeble tipped with fine checkering.
Bullet counter
Circular mag

Well anyways, just wanted to say hello.

Can someone guide me to a Gunsmith book for the Savage 300 in this model?

Thanks

Last edited by Savage_The_Barbarian; 10/22/07.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, sounds like a 99G. The buttstock/buttplate is probably a replacement.

Congrats, the 99G is a great rifle, and the 300 Savage is a great cartridge. Doug Murray has a book on the 99, but it doesn't cover any smithing work. What kind of info were you looking for?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I was told by the previous owner that when he purchsed it the original owner said that he had the stock worked on to give it the classic view. Damn, too bad. I wonder how I would go about trying to restore it to original factory stock.

The firearm has been keep clean but I do not think that it has been disassembled to give it a thorough cleaning in quite awhile. I would prefer the Gunsmithing takedown book if available - just because I am an engineer of sorts and want to see all the parts and how they work with each other.

Although I have read alot of information here on the diassembly, I still like to have the manual for 'just in case' scenarios.

Thanks for your response.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Radocy makes a takedown guide for Savage 99's, probably will be good enough for what you're looking for. Might try googling it or check eBay.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Google Radocy, Take down guide! Go to 99'

DC Miller
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sorry Calhoun, I must have been typing when you sent that!

DC Miller
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the information. I have checked these out but did not know if the quality and quantity of the information would be adequate.

How about the restoration of the stock? Is that something that I should consider or is it a waste of time to try to bring the rifle back to manafactures specificatons?

I am assuming that when and if I replace the stock, then the value of the rifle will drop considerably due to replacement. Is this so?

Thanks again

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yup, you might as well learn to love it as it is as long is it is shootable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, it's already been modified and won't be a collectible again. If it looks decent, I'd leave it as is. Crescent buttplate on a 99G ain't such a bad thing, I'm thinking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PICS, PLEASE..................

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Here are the pics that I promised:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/slessard/DSCN0017-1.jpg[/img]

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Very nice find! Same butt plate as on my 1930 G but, is that a shadow behind the stock or has it been worked on? Lenghtened maybe? I can't tell for sure although, it goes without saying, the white diamond and whiteline grip cap aren't origional.

Last edited by Joe; 10/22/07.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I wasn't aware of the white diamond not being original. By the whiteline grip - are you refering to the white disk on the pistol grip and/or the while line by the butt plate?

I was told that the stock was worked on and yes that is a pad to lengthen the stock.

Is the cresent cut of the stock the same as yours? There is a question as to whether the stock was trimed to give it the cresent look.

The previous owner had bad shoulders from an old Nam injury so he had the pad added to help with the recoil.

Thanks

Last edited by Savage_The_Barbarian; 10/22/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The stock looks to have been shortened a little bit, but I am no expert. It is a good hunter! It will give you years of enjoyment!

I would get rid of those scope rings! eek

Congrats, it is a nice looking rifle, the diamond and other extras, are someones way of making it their rifle and gives some character.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a question as to whether the stock was trimed to give it the cresent look.

Yes, the butt has been cut and the plate bent to fit.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by sactoller

I would get rid of those scope rings! eek

I kind of like them but I do not know anything about scopes or rings. The current rings give me the opportunity to use either the factory sights or and/or the scope.

What would you recommend for scope rings?

Thanks again

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lot of folks think those see through mounts look bad on a old gun. If you like them, use them. A set of weaver bases and weaver rings makes for a cleaner look.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,684
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.