Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would there be any reason not to go with an FX-II 4x33 over an M8 4x33 for an additional $50?

From reading other threads here, I know the M8 *may* have a longer tube and make it easier to mount on a Win 70 long action. And while not a practical difference, the optical quality from the older, non multicoated lenses will be a bit less at low light.

But am i missing anything? Is the M8 tougher? Any other differences?

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d definitely go with the newer optic if it has the reticle you like. I ran an M8 4x on mine for awhile. Great scope in good light but it wasn’t kind in the morning/evening time.

Semper Fi
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks I appreciate the first hand info and hearing it does make that difference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The M8 4x I owned had the original narrow duplex whereas the FX ll comes with the wide duplex which I do not like nearly as much.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Had enough problems with FX-IIs 4xs (and 6xs) in their first few years that I'd gladly have traded any of them for an M8. Have heard the FX-IIs might have improved since, but so far have decided I don't have enough time to bother with 'em....

Also hate the Wide Duplex, which seems to be a big backward step toward the plain crosshair the Duplex (and similar reticles from other manufacturers) very appropriately replaced. It's also listed as the ONLY reticle available in the FX riflescopes I'd consider using--and it sucks.

Like a lot of other scope companies these days, Leupold is putting more of their time and effort into bigger variable scopes, with various reticles, because they sell a hell of lot more of them. Those I've tested have worked well--unlike the FXs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can't stand the wide duplex, and I've found the newer Hunt Plex is crappy too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recently bought an old Weaver K4 with Micro Trac. It adjusted properly, unlike any of the Leupold single-spring models I can recall, friction or clickety. $65. The old ones, as long as they’re coated, and haven’t been cleaned with a t-shirt too often, are acceptable to me as sights, though maybe not as crisp optically.

Alternately, one could buy a $109 Fullfield II from Amazon, set it on 4x, and live happily ever after.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My K4-1 Microtrac , purchased new in 1980, was clearer than the M8 4x33 in side by side comparisons in good light. Still have it, sold the M8 for no good reason in retrospect.

Last edited by MikeS; 08/24/22.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you like no-click friction adjustments, then M8 is the way to go. I hate 'em personally.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I recently bought an old Weaver K4 with Micro Trac. It adjusted properly, unlike any of the Leupold single-spring models I can recall, friction or clickety. $65. The old ones, as long as they’re coated, and haven’t been cleaned with a t-shirt too often, are acceptable to me as sights, though maybe not as crisp optically.

Alternately, one could buy a $109 Fullfield II from Amazon, set it on 4x, and live happily ever after.

That's the route I'd go as far as which scope to mount on a model 70, which the op is inquiring about. Why go to something that is severely lacking when you can buy a great do it all scope like the FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle for probably less money than the scopes he's asking about???. The m8 4x is something I have a lot of experience with because damn near every pre 64 model 70 I've bought have had that scope on top. I usually pull them off right away and sell them on ebay. For an aiming device, they work well enough, but don't try to adjust them or all hell may break loose. The steel tube Weaver K4 is quite a bit better if one wants to keep the era correct look and decent function.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
MD, Leupold ought to put you on the payroll. And LISTEN to you.

Hunters aren't looking for wild and crazy new scopes, just good ones.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found the scopes with the dimple off the tube and instead where the turrets are more desirable.

But inexpensive Leupolds don’t find zero immediately. It takes more hammer than one would expect.

Last edited by Angus1895; 08/24/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No. Leupold sucks donkey balls

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's the route I'd go as far as which scope to mount on a model 70, which the op is inquiring about. Why go to something that is severely lacking when you can buy a great do it all scope like the FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle for probably less money than the scopes he's asking about???. The m8 4x is something I have a lot of experience with because damn near every pre 64 model 70 I've bought have had that scope on top. I usually pull them off right away and sell them on ebay. For an aiming device, they work well enough, but don't try to adjust them or all hell may break loose. The steel tube Weaver K4 is quite a bit better if one wants to keep the era correct look and decent function.

Yep. In fact I was recently shooting my Griffin & Howe Springfield with it's old Lyman Alaskan All-Weather, and found the half-inch clicks were almost as consistent as those in old Weaver Micro-Tracs. (Got lucky and picked up a K4 Micro-Trac for $35 a few weeks ago at a local store.)

Otherwise, for inexpensive scopes I'm still running Fullfield IIs, and so far haven't encountered one with inconsistent clicks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

A tad more eye relief on the upper end would be nice; a fixed 4 inch eye relief across all mag settings would be outstanding! But unless I'm on the bench, I just generally set mine one 3x and call it good.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Igloo
Would there be any reason not to go with an FX-II 4x33 over an M8 4x33 for an additional $50?

From reading other threads here, I know the M8 *may* have a longer tube and make it easier to mount on a Win 70 long action. And while not a practical difference, the optical quality from the older, non multicoated lenses will be a bit less at low light.

But am i missing anything? Is the M8 tougher? Any other differences?

I've had both and liked both.

The M8 is longer and does fit better on a long action with std mounts. I use on an an old 721. Looks right in Weaver R&B with room to spare. The FX-II fits well on a short action but was the same size as some 2-7s I own so I sold the FX-II and used the 2-7s. There was no advantage to keep the 4x.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
M8 4x28mm have a longer tube for mounting. The M8 4x33mm are shorter like the later FX-II 4x scopes. I have both M8 with the 28mm Obj front and FX-II scopes (4 & 6 power). I have had zero problems with any of my Leupold fixed magnification scopes.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Like a lot of other scope companies these days, Leupold is putting more of their time and effort into bigger variable scopes, with various reticles, because they sell a hell of lot more of them. Those I've tested have worked well--unlike the FXs.

Can you point us to the ones that have worked well for you?

thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I've had a 4X, M8 since the late 80's. It BTW, is a 28mm, not a 33mm. I've got two FX2's, 4X's. All of them have been knocked around pretty hard. That means hard impacts during falls where the rifle was pitched to allow me to break my fall. None of them every broke anything or even lost zero.
The FX2's are brighter. They work fine with the standard duplex in legal light. the Fx2's allow me to see at night, BTW, but the M8 woks less well. I can see the reticle in the M8 even outside of legal light hours thanks to the addition of a Post and Duplex improvement.
The M8 has a longer eye box, which I really like.
Argue what you like about the adjustments. Once I set them, they stay put for years.
None are for sale. E

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
About why an FX or M8...

I wanted to save weight. 9.3 oz sounded like it would be very much appreciated. I've had the Burris FF-II in 2-7x35 on a Featherweight and Standard Pre-64 and it was a good fit. Not that 12 oz for that one is radically heavier, but if I go variable it will likely be a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33. I like those.

Yeah, a variable is objectively better. But I don't feel I am giving up enough to lose sleep over it.

Where the real concern comes in for me is the inconsistent reports on reliability! This is unfortunate news that makes me rethink.

On tube length: I had though there were several versions of the M8: 4x28, with possibly the longest tube, and 4x33 with compact, and relatively longer tubes.

On click and friction...I dunno! They've both worked just fine. Get why people don't like the friction though. Whatever works! There's been a Leupold Rifleman around here forever now, on a rifle that was mine and is now my best friends, I sold it to him years back when I started university. Sighting it in wasn't really a chore, and I put a paint mark at 100 and 300 yards.

Last edited by Igloo; 08/25/22.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.