-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
All right I am looking at a possible caribou hunt, but have no idea where to start. Do yall have any recommendations about outfitters, areas, etc. My hunting partner and I have no experience with caribou but would like to go, possibly in 2008 if possible. Thanks in advance for any help.
-also posted on alaskan forum-

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For barren ground look into Mirage Outfitters or Jack Hume. For mountain caribou look into Courageous Lake outfitters. Those are a couple to get you looking.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Don't overlook Newfoundland for woodland caribou and moose. Nice compact but smaller antlers and plenty of moose.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
DixieBoy, try looking at outfitters in Northern Manitoba, there are some great opportunities in that province.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just got back from a trip with Ungava Adventures in Northern Quebec. We hunted the leaf river heard out of Kuujjuac. We had a great experience and receveid first class treatmetn. This is a small outfitter that thrives on servce. We talked to many other hunters and camps and I can offer some comments.

You can shoot me a PM and we can talk. Until they clear up theSchefflerville mess, I might try to avoid that area.

Fred Genter

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guide for an outfitter in the Northwest Territories called Arctic Safaris. I would definitely recommend going with them (and not just to keep myself employed either :D). The experience is truly one of a lifetime being that far north and seeing the landscape and being among the wolves, wolverines, gizzly, etc that are so abundant up there. EVERY hunter that we took out got all the opportunities that they wanted on caribou and some got opportunities to take wolf or wolverine as well (Almost every hunter tagged out on 2 bulls, except for a couple who turned down good bulls looking for Mr. Big). You can look up the outfitter online. Talk to Barry Taylor, the owner.

B
B
Webbers Lodges in Northern Manitoba Amazing!
Google them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Went with Mirage Outfitters in Quebec last year. First class outfit all the way. Great facilities, great people, and everybody at the camp (ten of us) got two good bulls each with several being outstanding.

Mathew 22: 37-39

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had very good luck with TUTTULIK Outfitters out of Quebec.
Ten of us in camp killed 20 bulls and 3 black bears we filled all the tags in camp :GRIN:
randy
link. http://www.tuttulik.com/hunts.htm

randy..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Certain native tribes (not sure which) are picketing hunting camps in Quebec I believe, I personally know of one hunt in 08 that won't be happening because of it. Make sure to ask any outfitters about local issues and if there are any and make sure to know the refund/reschedule policy.

J

[Linked Image]
IC B3

G
G
Mirage 2 years ago- trophy hunt right in the migration maybe 5000 caribou per day within 500 yards- unbelievable. This may be the high priced hunt, but was wonderful

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I know the gentleman who manages Arctic Adventures for the natives that own and operate the camps. A friend went there a couple of years ago and got a couple real nice caribou.

http://www.arcticadventures.ca/

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Murf; 04/13/08.

Murf
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
as a guide in northern Qu�bec and wont tell you the companies i worked before i must say some things :

- always check the references and not only trust what the salesman on the show will tell you. (true for every booked hunts)
- be prepared to walk and not only using boat or waiting the herd. (that s not high mountains but can be high demanding especially if you have to help to bring back the meat or antlers or cape ...) this is often 4 hunters for a guide some helpers are welcome.
- the weather can be worst that you can ever think.
- never chamber a shell or carry shells in the magazine before being told.
- always carry a floating device (life vest) when in boat.
- even if told dont shoot a caribou from the boat it s illegal ...
- dont shoot wolves , it s illegal too, in the north Qu�bec.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunted with Jack Hume in 2003--First Class all the way.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,159 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,934
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.