Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I was in the military, it was always necessary to pack light, or improvise.

Portable vices are something that you should not be without. I learned that years ago. These things are not heavy duty, but are great when you need a third hand, balance or equipment holder. I have two, and use both regularly.

Paired with slip on soft (rubber) jaws, they can hold anything without damaging metal or gouging finishes. It is quick to clamp on to my benches. It swivels, tilts and is inexpensive. The second picture shows the soft jaw inserts.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Over the years, I have used this to hold numerous rifle barrels, stocks, triggers, gauges, tools, flies, and my cell phone. I never realized how handy it was until I didn't have it on a hunting trip. One always goes with me.

These are available from amazon, Princess Auto, Crappy Tire and hardware stores. Here's a link that you can use to compare the different ones.

Portable Vises

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Busy Bee Parrot vise. Busy Bee in the States is Grizzly. When Brownells sells them they are called Gunsmiths. I like it.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am going to pick some up as Christmas presents for friends. Two in particular who are always asking for an extra set of hands.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The one I use here was purchased at Canadian Tire when I lived in Calgary. Just the right size for 90% of what I need a vice for.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use my drill press vice as it's free standing and I don't have to clamp it to a table but it does have holes if I need to mount it. It's heavy enough to hold what I need to without flopping over.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine is a simple 3" portable vise much like the one in the OP's pic, also have a 6" wood vise around as well.
I had a 3" portable I used to keep in a toolbox in the truck. handier than hell at times out in the bush or at camp, just a cheapie, but it worked. Shud acquire another one, not sure what I did with the one I had, may have rusted solid or broke.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
2 inch Wilton Baby Bullet on a Pow-r-Arm Jr. then bolted to a 8 inch square of 1/4 inch aluminum with rubber shelf liner glued to the bottom. Doesn't slip or slide but is still portable. The Pow-r-Arm allows the vise to tilt and turn 360 degrees.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 57 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.