Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
The wife and I ppent a few hours at the site this week. 2nd visit to the site.

I am not much of a horseman but would be interesting to ride the site. They must have had some darn tough horses back then. Reno's retreat uphill from the river timber did not look easy if at high speed. Custer's troops were seperated a long distance from the rest. If Custer and all knew where Reno and Benteen were located, the order to bring up packs was not expected to be a quick proposition. Something must have gotten screwed up beyond Reno's problems.

Odd thing is the area where the battle occurred was only under Lakota and Tsisitas control for 30-40 or so years prior and maybe not complete control then.

Need to do some more studying.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have been there a few times myself. I would really like to have seen it back in the day, hard to imagine what it was really like seeing it now.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've only been there once.....back in 1978 on a trip that was part of my graduation gift.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have been there. It is very tough terrain. I don't see how Reno's men could have climbed that bank and gotten out of the river.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have been there. It is very tough terrain. I don't see how Reno's men could have climbed that bank and gotten out of the river.

You would be surprised at how much 600 Indians could motivate you…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was the area under Lakota and Tsisitas (Cheyenne) control at all? Crow Agency is right there.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Yeah, they saw Bloody Knife get his brains blown all over Major Reno's shirt, and they struck out for higher ground.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Love this history stuff.

Lately I’ve following a YouTube channel, Badlands Backroads.

He got himself a KLR and rides the the backroads of ND’s badlands, checking out Historical sites.

Some of these sites are along routes taken by the army through different campaigns. Gen. Sully….

Battle of the Badlands, Fort Dilt, Killdeer Mountain Battle Field.. although those weren’t really tied to Custer, it maybe of interest.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used to buy guns from a friend in Canada. I call him a friend even though I never met him because he was totally honest and great to deal with. Had to go through a broker to get them into the U.S. Although history is something I totally enjoy I am not an expert on this battle. Ok after my background information that I often do lol. I believe the natives escaped into Canada. My friend told me that the natives he knows told him that Custer was taken alive and tortured by the women. Something that I don't think is in any history books. I believe him personally. Just thought I would share this.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Exactly what I was going to say. Wife and I spent an afternoon there shortly after the anniversary. I was following the army from Ft Riley through NE, WY and MT.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Indians did not choose their camp site haphazardly, randomly, or by accident. A few miles north or south the terrain provides much less protection from the east.
Due to the engagement a few days prior on the Rosebud, they had to have suspected that they might be pursued.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It is entirely possible that Custer was taken alive and tortured. Squaws were expert at that, and it happened to many troopers on that day.
If that were true, the Army would never have let that story out. They did let it out that his brother Tom was cut all to pieces by the squaws.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It is entirely possible that Custer was taken alive and tortured. Squaws were expert at that, and it happened to many troopers on that day.
If that were true, the Army would never have let that story out. They did let it out that his brother Tom was cut all to pieces by the squaws.
Custer's body was found with his troops on Last Stand Hill as it is called. He suffered two bullet wounds one of which was a shot to the brain. He had a chest wound also. I have read speculation that his brother Tom may have finished him off. Some of the troops most certainly committed suicide to avoid capture and torture.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I thought it was interesting in that it wouldn't fit a narrative thanks for the information. I enjoy the comments from those of you that are historians on this subject.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen multple videos on the battle from both sides including a great step by step series.
This one below is very the best. I have defended Custer from the usual crowd that love to slap the arrogant racist moniker on him and dismiss him but, yeah, he had warnings enough.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That didn't happen. Much of what is talked about is rumor and gossip. You can't rely on the Indian's accounts without some real investigation, as they had nothing to lose by embellishing their stories.

There are some good books that cover Custer and the battle, but most of the books are written by people that read other books...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
After my latest trip there, I could easily be convinced that at least half the deaths were due to snake bite.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not saying I know for a fact that it is what happened to Custer as you can't say for a fact it didn't happen. Books are usually written by the winners. It is very reasonable to think it may have happened. Instead of going down in a blaze of glory with his bulldogs.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by cclarkblues
After my latest trip there, I could easily be convinced that at least half the deaths were due to snake bite.

The first time I visited, they had warning signs about rattlesnakes. Didn't notice them this time but might have missed them.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Was the area under Lakota and Tsisitas (Cheyenne) control at all? Crow Agency is right there.

If I remember correctly, the Crow were pushed out of the area around 1840 or so. Lakota were in the bighorns in the 1860s. Skirtmishes and raids between the two groups likely continued.

The Crow might have got the reservation area in exchange for cooperation with U.S. gvtmnt. Psa Toka scouts with Custer. I don't know the answer.

The Cheyenne reservation is very close also.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (2ndwind, 300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338reddog, 338rcm, 39 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,012
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.