Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone hunted the Goshen WMA, particularly the Laurel Run access area (on Rt 39 across from the Maury River) that leads up to the power lines in the last couple of years? I was there a few years ago and there were homeless folks living in tents off the trail leading up to the powerlines. Kind of off putting. Not sure why the DWR let that happen.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/22/22.
GB1

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
I fish goshen and mill creek hidden Valley and bull pasture there’s some strange peoples over there I carry always

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
I did have to take a emergency pit stop this spring and there’s a nice ladder stand about 100 yds up the road where your talking might be a dirty sock around it

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I’ve got 200 acres of mountains to myself and my kids on the west side I’ll stay here

We've only 75[ours] but have another 40 or so of a absent neighbor for us only to hunt.
I rarely leave home these days.

For Butch A.
There is some very good hunting in NF from Wythe up the chain towards Rockbridge if one is willing to get a little deeper in than the average pud-hunter.
Plenty of primitive and semi-primitive camping throughout

FJB & FJT
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
We got a name for the Rockbridge crowd “rock jumpers” cause they all come over to Amherst to hunt

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
LOL @ eb

It's wild how things have changed over the past 35-40 years.
Bath & Rockingham counties used to be 'the place' for deer hunting west of the Blue Ridge along with Craig & Giles to the south & west.
There's still big deer there but you'll really need to hike pretty deep to find them.
Have the #'s really fallen off as much as it seems or did the explosion of deer #'s along the east facing slope just make it seem that way?

FJB & FJT
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
I haven’t seen a explosion in deer numbers more a explosion in bear numbers the “rock jumpers” have always been in Amherst lots of national forest off route 60

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
In Montgomery, Floyd, ROA, Bedford the #'s are off the charts for deer and are getting that way for bear.

30 years ago everyone I knew in Montgomery went to one of the four counties listed in prior post to hunt deer.
We had very few here[then].

FJB & FJT
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Oh yeah I can remember back in the day if you did not travel to Rockbridge/Bath/Botetourt county during rifle season you was not a serious deer hunter...I spent a lot of time on Short Mtn in Bath county and North mountain in Rockbridge county, I have some great memories of those hunts 👍....I know several of my hunting buddies liked to hunt the Wythe/Smyth/Grayson county's area too....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I remember the days when deer numbers were low and many of the mountain counties had a one-deer-per-year limit, and Buchanon and Dickenson were close altogether for deer hunting. I remember the old printed hunting regulations you got with your license and paper tags, and Buchanon and Dickenson counties were colored black.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Back in the mid 80's we used to tent camp on NF in Craig Co.
Set up the octagonal army surplus for the full 2 weeks[max time allowed]
The Pines Campground on Barbours Creek at the base of Potts Mtn.
We'd do a little trout fishing too if weather was decent.
The campground also had a horse corral.

Three of us would pile in a truck and take the forest road to the top of the adjacent mountain before daylight and slowly hunt our way down the mtn.
Never drag anything 'up'.
The weekend before the Monday opener was always a blast, basically a big party in the campground.

Good times!

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Raeford
In Montgomery, Floyd, ROA, Bedford the #'s are off the charts for deer and are getting that way for bear.

30 years ago everyone I knew in Montgomery went to one of the four counties listed in prior post to hunt deer.
Plenty in Carroll, Wythe and Pulaski too. Places I hunt anyway

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For Butch A.
There is some very good hunting in NF from Wythe up the chain towards Rockbridge if one is willing to get a little deeper in than the average pud-hunter.
Plenty of primitive and semi-primitive camping throughout

Thanks.... I'm either in the Big Levels area, Coal Rd, etc... south of Stuarts Draft, or if I really feel up to it, I'll continue further west to the other side of Staunton and Buffalo Gap, Route 42, etc... and all up and down that huge ridge area of Elliot Knob. Rumors are always around about massive big bucks, but you gotta go way up to find them. Nail one, and you got a loooooooong drag back down!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by blairvt

yep
I just kinda started a crooked line at Floyd going up grin

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by blairvt

yep
I just kinda started a crooked line at Floyd going up grin

I have been hunting Floyd for 30+ years... I have one mid-day stand that I call "The Grocery Store".

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Give me a heads up next time through Cash

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the 90's used to hunt Alleghany, Craig and Botetourt, Counties. Relly nice around Oriskany, Roaring run, Hoophole trail, the "gas line" etc.

Regs changed for the worst so we quit going for the out of state hunt and stayed in NC

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How is the area around West Augusta and Ramsey's Draft these days? A friend has a family farm we used to hunt up there.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I used to hunt in West Augusta and Ramsey’s Draft a lot back in the 70’s. I was close friends with the Dively family who owned a small farm in West Augusta that backed up to National Forest. It was sandwiched between the Charlie Hunter and Allan Griffin farms. But my favorite place was Ramsey’s Draft. It was big and wild and I loved being up there. I used to stay overnight at Sexton Shelter which was a small cabin managed by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. From there, I’d walk on out to Freezeland Flat and bow hunt around a few old apple trees that were there. Back in that day there were a decent number of deer in there. I have since moved away but was in the area this past March for a funeral and my wife and I walked out to the old cabin foundation. She and I stayed in the cabin a month or so before it was dismantled back in about 1983 or 84. But much to my surprise, we did not see any deer or any deer sign on that entire hike. Anyway, a lot of fond memories being in that area again. We even stopped at the old Whiteway store and bought a loaf of their homemade bread.

I hope that when I retire I can spend more time in the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia. Awesome place!

Mackey

Mackey
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 3,173 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,222
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.