Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My wife and I are considering moving to the Altus, Arkansas area depending on whether or not I get a job offer there and what we think of the area and potential employer after making a visit. From those who have been there I would love to hear your impressions of the good and the bad.

I have never been in Arkansas or the south in general expect an over night in Miami a couple years ago. We lived in southwest Michigan for 4 and a half years recently but have primarily lived in Oregon and Washington with a few years in California before, during and after college. We did not like the humidity and mosquitoes in the summers in Michigan and I suspect it is similar in Arkansas.

I do like the lower taxes (property and income) that I am seeing in Arkansas compared to where we are now in Oregon as well as the lower price of property and housing.

I enjoy big game hunting and bird watching. If we do end up moving to Arkansas what big game species are available to hunt? I am pretty sure there is some bear hunting but probably only in the fall and of course whitetail deer. What about pigs? I believe there are wild pigs but is it fairly easy to find an area to hunt them? I have not done that before and would sure like to give it a try.

Any other major considerations or comments? Thanks so much!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If I lived in Arkansas I’d be a duck hunting fool! I have a couple of friends from Arkansas and they spent years trying to get back home. They finally got the opportunity within the last couple years to move back and they are happy to be home. 👍

I’m planning on going down to spend some time duck hunting with my old buddy that moved back home. Arkansas is one state that I haven’t been to but would like to visit. The people that I’ve met from Arkansas were truly good, salt of the earth type people. I think you could do worse than living down that way.

Good luck with your new prospects.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ticks, and every tick borne disease known to man. Lyme disease along with every Rickettsial there is.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had a place on Maddox Bay for over 100 years .... family place. Loved it. Best duck hunting in the world .... not to mention the cat fishing and garr fishing.

All I know about NW Arkie is I've been to four football games there back when we played the Razorbacks every years (Gamecocks) and .... Walmart sucks.

Did I mention that Walmart sucks donkey dicks?

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Arkansas has some dumpy towns and some noce ones. They have beautiful scenery and gin clear streams full of trout. The state record brown trout, caught out of the Red River was in the upoer 30lb range. A natural reproducing trout as they don't stock browns. The White River is beautiful. Many nice stream ms and rivers, hunting.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
North central is better then North west in my opinion. Just for the fact how fast that part of the state is growing. When you think you live far out in the country the city will catch up to you in 3 years! Especially Springdale, Rogers and Fayetteville area’s!

Last edited by Buck720; 08/27/22.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This state sucks, avoid at all cost.

There is a war on America and America is losing
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sent you a PM, rufous.

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I thought the Daisy BB gun museum was pretty interesting.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Altus is not nw Arkansas, more west central. It is between the ozarks and ouachita mountains. Close to the Arkansas river, wine growing area of Arkansas, close to national forest. Decent hunting around.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I would be careful about thinking low taxes. State income may be low and property taxes low but sales taxes are pretty high especially when eating out.

https://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/total_taxes/

But I would take Arkansas over Oregon any day....

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
94% Caucasian. Crime rate not worth mentioning. (big surprise, eh?)

If you've got a job waiting there, it's a no brainer in today's world. Especially if you're coming from the Pacific Northwest.

The people are going to be much more friendly than you're used to. They're not faking it.

It's the kind of place many people will be wanting to move to in the near future. Don't miss your chance.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Altus-Arkansas.html

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You can come. Just don’t bring any Portland Dems with you!

Seriously a small town like Altus is a good place to settle down. The locals in a lot of those locales may be suspicious at first but as long as you don’t start complaining about no sidewalks and gutters, no HOA dues, where are all the stoplights, etc they’ll realize you’re good to go.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
If I lived in Arkansas I’d be a duck hunting fool! I have a couple of friends from Arkansas and they spent years trying to get back home. They finally got the opportunity within the last couple years to move back and they are happy to be home. 👍

I’m planning on going down to spend some time duck hunting with my old buddy that moved back home. Arkansas is one state that I haven’t been to but would like to visit. The people that I’ve met from Arkansas were truly good, salt of the earth type people. I think you could do worse than living down that way.

Good luck with your new prospects.

The duck hunting part of Arkansas is the other side is the state. There are days where it is truly amazing. It has actually been off a bit for the past few years.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Deer, turkey and elk are available. Bear are more limited.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The big plus for me is I can see great sunsets.

One major difference between PNW and other lib areas is that our heifers that crap outside were born to do that. They don’t have pink hair and don’t wear genitalia hats and sure don’t have TDS!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm guessing you won't be ambivalent about the move a year afterwards.

You will love it, or hate it.

Had to leave here, equal choices between Arkansas or Oregon.?

I'm taking the shorter drive.
I might prefer Oregon country.
But Arkansas people are wayyyyyyy ahead.
And Arkansas ain't so much different than here, at least in the mountains.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I appreciate the comments. Dillonbuck, where is here?

The motivators for me regarding this possible move are:

1. Higher salary and better benefits in an area with a lower cost of living.

2. Switching from a blue state to a red state.

3. Exploring a new area with new birds and hopefully some hog hunting.

4. Working for people know what they are doing. The company where I work now has new owners who have never owned a business.

I have to say that the ticks and their associated diseases is extremely distressing but I am sure that only a very small percentage of people are affected.

Altus sure looks like it is most definitely in the northwest part of the state to me. How do the locals define northwest Arkansas?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rufous
I appreciate the comments. Dillonbuck, where is here?

The motivators for me regarding this possible move are:

1. Higher salary and better benefits in an area with a lower cost of living.

2. Switching from a blue state to a red state.

3. Exploring a new area with new birds and hopefully some hog hunting.

I have to say that the ticks and their associated diseases is extremely distressing but I an sure that only a very small percentage of people are affected.

What line of work are you in?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Whatever you do leave the Oregon politics behind or you will not be welcome at all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been "through" both places so I'm no expert but for me, the older I get....the more important weather is to me. No doubt Arkansas is better in every way even and I'm a fanatic bass fisherman but the one big trade off will be the weather. Roseburg gets a touch warm in the summer but is almost perfect IMO.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.