Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by deflave
When it comes to defensive shotguns the gold standard is, was, and will likely remain the Benelli M4. There is nothing more reliable if you intend on swimming with sharks, 12 gauging the sharks, and using the empty shotgun to bludgeon their young. This level of reliability comes at a cost however and that is in price, and in weight. I just priced one of the 1014's a couple weeks ago and it was every bit of $2K out the door. Weight? Every bit of 8lbs. And those 8lbs will wear you out if you plan on carrying and pushing through rooms for more than a minute or two. Capacity isn't much to get excited about either as you will walk away with a 5+1. You can buy the 7 round extension if you desire, but that's kind of a schitty thing to make your civilian client have to do after they just dropped two-thousand dollars on your shotgun. You can easily ghost load the M4 if you choose to do so and that will give you a 6 +1 in factory form. But again, that isn't a whole lot of ammo when you consider how easy shoguns are to empty, and difficult to reload. Every shell matters.

Then you have the Beretta 1301 Tactical which I think most any rationale person is going to consider the Goldilocks of defensive shotgunning. Ridiculously reliable, a 7+1 right out of the gate, about two pounds lighter and arguably just as easy/smooth to shoot. The 1301 Tacticals have to be used to really be appreciated. They are some of the smoothest running shotguns a person can hope for. The loading port is opened up and chamfered, the charging handle is the size of broomstick, and the bolt release is massive. All these things make the most difficult aspect of a tube fed (reloads) much, much easier. Add to this that they can be easily found for around $1300 and there really isn't much of a contest for most applications.

It should be noted that the Beretta 1301 Comp is every bit the shotgun the 1301 Tactical is, and shouldn't be overlooked before you take the plunge. Here you're getting all the benefits of the Tactical (opened port, charging handle, etc.) but it's going to come setup for recreational use. i.e., no mag extension, QR sling mounts, rail, ghost ring, etc. But what you will get with the Comp is a 21" or 24" barrel (depending on which iteration you come upon) and you're not going to be forced into the use of a ghost ring rear and a front blade. Not desirable to everyone, but there is a significant portion of shotgunners that subscribe to the idea of a shotgun remaining a shotgun and being "aimed" accordingly. So if you're a traditional vent rib guy, this is a great option. You will need a mag extension of course but they're not too expensive, retard easy to put on, and the long barrel length allows for more mag capacity without protruding well past the muzzle.

Arzen Arms has a great step-by-step you can use to figure out what your end capacity will be and how far or short it will end up being from the muzzle:
https://secure.arnzenarms.com/catalog-search/manufacturer/24382/stock/1

You will hear people opine about Mossbergs, and Remingtons, and all sorts of other stupid schit but just ignore them. When it comes to defensive shotguns the 1301 Tactical or M4 are it.

One last thing about these shotguns: If/when the owner drops dead, that shotgun is going to be worth $50-$100 less than what he paid for it, and depending on the market and configuration, they may very well end up being worth more than what you originally paid for it. They are the Toyota's of the shotgun world.

Look at nothing else. You won't regret it.

We can stop the thread now.

Indeed.

All else is twaddle.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Flave for that weel done explanation and comparison.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If we're talking about what's available now, absolutely - that's the case. deflave got the two b's backwards in order but they're probably honestly a tie anyway.

My answer was and is still correct. Every remington model 11 owner I know still uses them even though most are nearly 100 years old. I'd be surprised if the b's last that long basically without any repairs and very little if any maintenance (mine is 96 years old and I dab a little motor oil on the tube once a year). Until this year, it got 1500 or so rounds through it annually so if you do the math that would be 144 thousand rounds with no repairs. That's not really the case though as mine spent it's first twenty years as a naval training weapon (fancy way of saying skeet shooting off the weather deck of a naval vessel) so the round count is probably way higher than 144k. Same goes for the beretta 300's, most are 50 years old and chugging right along with no maintenance and very few if any repairs.

I have never cleaned my beretta 300 or my model 11.

I'm not downing today's offerings in any way - just pointing out a couple hundred thousand rounds and a century of age tells the real tale.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Geno67

If we're talking about what's available now, absolutely - that's the case. deflave got the two b's backwards in order but they're probably honestly a tie anyway.

My answer was and is still correct. Every remington model 11 owner I know still uses them even though most are nearly 100 years old. I'd be surprised if the b's last that long basically without any repairs and very little if any maintenance (mine is 96 years old and I dab a little motor oil on the tube once a year). Until this year, it got 1500 or so rounds through it annually. Same goes for the beretta 300's, most are 50 years old and chugging right along with no maintenance and very few if any repairs.

Guess you didn't read Flave's post..

And..

Thread was over.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bitches please thread over, ha.

Rhodesian Tacticool

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt

My answer was and is still correct. Every remington model 11 owner I know still uses them even though most are nearly 100 years old. I'd be surprised if the b's last that long basically without any repairs and very little if any maintenance (mine is 96 years old and I dab a little motor oil on the tube once a year). Until this year, it got 1500 or so rounds through it annually. Same goes for the beretta 300's, most are 50 years old and chugging right along with no maintenance and very few if any repairs.

And..

Thread was over.

Until they have a century of age on them and a couple hundred thousand rounds down the tube - we won't honestly and subjectively know.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I love my Beretta A 400

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by kingston
I have abused a Beretta Xtrema 2 in salt marshes and on the open ocean, it's literally spent hours with the surf lapping over it and it's been flawless.

That's why Cajuns use Benellis as oars and hunt with Berettas.

I'm not so sure about this. I live in Louisiana and I see a ton of Benellis and people swear by them.

Beretta's are definitely good but nothing beats a Benelli

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
When it comes to defensive shotguns the gold standard is, was, and will likely remain the Benelli M4. There is nothing more reliable if you intend on swimming with sharks, 12 gauging the sharks, and using the empty shotgun to bludgeon their young. This level of reliability comes at a cost however and that is in price, and in weight. I just priced one of the 1014's a couple weeks ago and it was every bit of $2K out the door. Weight? Every bit of 8lbs. And those 8lbs will wear you out if you plan on carrying and pushing through rooms for more than a minute or two. Capacity isn't much to get excited about either as you will walk away with a 5+1. You can buy the 7 round extension if you desire, but that's kind of a schitty thing to make your civilian client have to do after they just dropped two-thousand dollars on your shotgun. You can easily ghost load the M4 if you choose to do so and that will give you a 6 +1 in factory form. But again, that isn't a whole lot of ammo when you consider how easy shoguns are to empty, and difficult to reload. Every shell matters.

Then you have the Beretta 1301 Tactical which I think most any rationale person is going to consider the Goldilocks of defensive shotgunning. Ridiculously reliable, a 7+1 right out of the gate, about two pounds lighter and arguably just as easy/smooth to shoot. The 1301 Tacticals have to be used to really be appreciated. They are some of the smoothest running shotguns a person can hope for. The loading port is opened up and chamfered, the charging handle is the size of broomstick, and the bolt release is massive. All these things make the most difficult aspect of a tube fed (reloads) much, much easier. Add to this that they can be easily found for around $1300 and there really isn't much of a contest for most applications.

It should be noted that the Beretta 1301 Comp is every bit the shotgun the 1301 Tactical is, and shouldn't be overlooked before you take the plunge. Here you're getting all the benefits of the Tactical (opened port, charging handle, etc.) but it's going to come setup for recreational use. i.e., no mag extension, QR sling mounts, rail, ghost ring, etc. But what you will get with the Comp is a 21" or 24" barrel (depending on which iteration you come upon) and you're not going to be forced into the use of a ghost ring rear and a front blade. Not desirable to everyone, but there is a significant portion of shotgunners that subscribe to the idea of a shotgun remaining a shotgun and being "aimed" accordingly. So if you're a traditional vent rib guy, this is a great option. You will need a mag extension of course but they're not too expensive, retard easy to put on, and the long barrel length allows for more mag capacity without protruding well past the muzzle.

Arzen Arms has a great step-by-step you can use to figure out what your end capacity will be and how far or short it will end up being from the muzzle:
https://secure.arnzenarms.com/catalog-search/manufacturer/24382/stock/1

You will hear people opine about Mossbergs, and Remingtons, and all sorts of other stupid schit but just ignore them. When it comes to defensive shotguns the 1301 Tactical or M4 are it.

One last thing about these shotguns: If/when the owner drops dead, that shotgun is going to be worth $50-$100 less than what he paid for it, and depending on the market and configuration, they may very well end up being worth more than what you originally paid for it. They are the Toyota's of the shotgun world.

Look at nothing else. You won't regret it.

The M-2 is excellent as well and lighter than the M-4.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt

And..

Thread was over.

Until they have a century of age on them and a couple hundred thousand rounds down the tube - we won't honestly and subjectively know.

Not to argue....but don't you suppose the platforms have had zillions of powerful military rounds through them already?

At least the M4 anyway?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably so. But they don't have 100 years of flawless service behind them yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My answer was and is still correct. Every remington model 11 owner I know still uses them even though most are nearly 100 years old. I'd be surprised if the b's last that long basically without any repairs and very little if any maintenance (mine is 96 years old and I dab a little motor oil on the tube once a year). Until this year, it got 1500 or so rounds through it annually so if you do the math that would be 144 thousand rounds with no repairs. That's not really the case though as mine spent it's first twenty years as a naval training weapon (fancy way of saying skeet shooting off the weather deck of a naval vessel) so the round count is probably way higher than 144k. Same goes for the beretta 300's, most are 50 years old and chugging right along with no maintenance and very few if any repairs.

I'm not downing today's offerings in any way - just pointing out a couple hundred thousand rounds and a century of age tells the real tale.

Please...

You haven't owned yours for 96 years, you have no idea what was or wasn't maintained or repaired in the time it wasn't under your roof.

The majority of Model 11s (and any other shotgun owned by average joe) haven't seen 10k rounds, let alone 144K - lol.

OP is asking for a defensive tool, higher capacity the better. Not a fuggin' century old field gun that can be pressed into service. To that end, Flave's dissertation is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Probably so. But they don't have 100 years of flawless service behind them yet.

There are Benenlli M-2's with 500,000 rds. through them and still functioning perfectly

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by kingston
I have abused a Beretta Xtrema 2 in salt marshes and on the open ocean, it's literally spent hours with the surf lapping over it and it's been flawless.

That's why Cajuns use Benellis as oars and hunt with Berettas.

I'm not so sure about this. I live in Louisiana and I see a ton of Benellis and people swear by them.

Beretta's are definitely good but nothing beats a Benelli
Until rust debilitates the butt or magazine spring.

Call up Wolff Springs and ask them how many customers get their stainless springs because of it AND Stronger magazine springs to speed up ejection time of the round in the magazine into the action after firing the round in the chamber.

I guess it would be Impossible for the cheap corrosion prone springs Benelli uses to have different values of quality.

Wolff would not be selling them to folks if none ever needed replacement.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/28/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Please...

You haven't owned yours for 96 years, you have no idea what was or wasn't maintained or repaired in the time it wasn't under your roof.

The majority of Model 11s (and any other shotgun owned by average joe) haven't seen 10k rounds, let alone 144K - lol.

OP is asking for a defensive tool, higher capacity the better. Not a fuggin' century old field gun that can be pressed into service. To that end, Flave's dissertation is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

The Rem M-11 and Browning A-5 are top performers even today

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Please...

The Rem M-11 and Browning A-5 are top performers even today

Tell me more...I can't go pick one up downstairs.

If you're buying today, for a defensive tool, are you putting money down on Timmy the Tweaker's grandad's 5 capacity grouse/duck/squirrel/deer/possum/barn cat gun at the pawn shop or a B gun?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the question does not mention tactical shotgun ,i thought the question was for the everyday hunting shotgun ? i guess some of us are wrong mentioning a hunting shotgun ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Please...

All shotguns are defensive tools. His title was "Most dependable semi auto 12 gauge". I answered that question. My experience is with military weapons that were used for training and combat - some used by the military in a marine environment for 50 years or more. They get a lot of use even in peace time. Manufacturing processes and tolerances have improved in the 117 years since john browning designed that weapon but the designs have seen very little improvement (if any). Longevity and reliability of anything is determined partially by miles (round count) and partially by age. My opinion of course and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

A weapon that spends all of it's time in a marine environment will let you know real quick if the design is solid.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Wolff doesn't sell a lot of SS springs for Benilli guns because people buy them for the fun of replacing them.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/28/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (10gaugemag, 35, 6mmbrfan, 7mm_Loco, 907brass, 9 invisible), 13,881 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,002
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.